FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Alright so update now that I had some time.

It seems like it is happening when FGU has to load a lot of things. When I was experiencing it in a story section when writing, it had 12,822 characters. Those made up 2,347 words over 160 lines. It would have the occasional lag when typing in that. When I made a new story module, the lag was minimal. So I would think the lag happens as you get more and more characters written in a story module.

Another example of the lag happens on character sheets. If I am opening up a Player Characters Action tab, it will take a few seconds to load. This is faster after it loads for the first time. It can be a bit annoying though waiting a few seconds to load a prepared spellcaster who is a high level and thus has a lot of spells to choose form. The less options in the Actions tab, the faster it loads. There was no lag in Fantasy Grounds Classic when loading it. Really this applies to every tab, but the Actions tab is the longest. It does take a second to load the Skills tab as well.

Basically, FGU doesn't feel as "snappy" as FGC does right now since this doesn't happen in FGC. The issue with lag when typing in a story section or on the character sheets.

This is all for 5e.
    FGU v4.0.3
    5e Ruleset v3.3.12
    No Extensions
    No Themes.

Yeah I too, find the tabs don't open as fast, especially the Action tab; but it isnt too bad.
    I guess FGU has to deal with an extra layer or two shoving LUA through the unity stuff to keep backwards compatibility.
    Buts thats just a guess. Thought the 64bit processing would of compensated for it.
    Its ok though <shrug>
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

I recently switched from FGC to FGU. The game has really bogged down. It's not impossible to play, just very tedious to get through a combat session and movement through a map. I really enjoy the LOS feature and the effects are neat, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth the loss of performance. I really hope things improve.

Do you think that FGU's performance can be improved? Or will it continue to be sluggish to use? I'm more than willing to be patient if there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 30th, 2020 at 13:47.

Are you specifically looking at performance issues on a map?
    What exactly is running slowly? Token movement? Something else?
    Can you please try without any extensions loaded?
    If it's still an issue, can you please zip up your campaign folder, place on a file share service, and provide us a link to the campaign files so we can try here.

Regards,
    JPG

I noticed that FGU runs great as long as I don't have any players connected. Once the 3 players from my group log in it bogs down terribly. is there anything I can ask them to do on their end that might help?

It might have to do with extensions you are running; the number of modules that they are updating; the size of assets being transferred; etc. It's hard to tell without having more information, which is what I was asking for above.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Are you specifically looking at performance issues on a map?
    On the map, combat tracker and chat box. Die rolls are very slow and take a few seconds for the results to show up. And moving the tokens on the map causes FGU to freeze for a few seconds.
    What exactly is running slowly?
    The dice seem to roll in slow motion and results don;'t show in the chat box. Moving tokens causes FGU to lock up for a few seconds.
    Token movement? Something else?
    Token movement
    Can you please try without any extensions loaded?
    I have not tried playing without extensions loaded but I will do so in the next session.
    If it's still an issue, can you please zip up your campaign folder, place on a file share service, and provide us a link to the campaign files so we can try here.
    Will do.

We had an issue in a dungeon. I had put everything on the combat tracker but hidden and could just change visibility then they got close. Makes it easy for me as DM move around some enemies as they go about their business as well.
    That didn't work out well. After 1-2 hours we had to restart FGU and delete everything from the map and combat tracker. Going back to use encounters that load as they enter. That works fine.

The issue for me is that I don't understand why it should slow down the program at all? The amount of data can't be that high. Even if it would send every token it's not like its big amount of MBs or the data thats connected. But somehow it build up something that after a while was to big to be handled. Computers...

Quote Originally Posted by Willot View Post
    Thought the 64bit processing would of compensated for it.
    This is a frequent misunderstanding of moving from 32-bit to 64-bit computing. For most purposes 64-bit code is not faster than 32-bit code. The main difference is that the processor can process and store 64-bit numbers - one of which is memory addresses where data resides, thus allowing it to access much more memory than a 32-bit operating system/application (4 billion times more memory in fact) - remember the approx. 3.6GB memory limit in FGC? This is for all intents and purposes now gone and you can now use as much memory as your computer can handle. But 64-bit is no faster than 32-bit when doing normal processing - 2+2 still takes the same number of cycles.

With FGU it's actually now possible for it to appear slower than the 32-bit FGC. Why? Because GMs no longer worry about the pixel size of their images because FGU can now access lots more memory than FGC. So they load bigger maps and FGU now has to process a lot more pixels, so it runs slower (this is even without LOS enabled). GMs don't worry about loading every single module they have, so FG has to process more data. I'm not saying these are the roots of the perceived less snappiness of FGU compared to FGC. I'm just illustrating that 64-bit is not faster than 32-bit.
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 30th, 2020 at 13:36.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information