5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    Do you think that FGU's performance can be improved? Or will it continue to be sluggish to use? I'm more than willing to be patient if there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
    Moved this post to this thread. Please make sure you post in an appropriate thread. You posted this in a thread discussing FGU image panning bounds, nothing at all to do with performance. Please make sure if you post in a thread that it is completely relevant to your question, if not then start a new thread if you haven't already posted about this issue elsewhere - which in that case you have (see the post immediately above your post). I get it, you have frustrations with performance. But making off topic posts in addition to existing threads isn't going to help and is just going to cause wasted time and more frustration all round.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    This is a frequent misunderstanding of moving from 32-bit to 64-bit computing. For most purposes 64-bit code is not faster than 32-bit code. The main difference is that the processor can process and store 64-bit numbers - one of which is memory addresses where data resides, thus allowing it to access much more memory than a 32-bit operating system/application (4 billion times more memory in fact) - remember the approx. 3.6GB memory limit in FGC? This is for all intents and purposes now gone and you can now use as much memory as your computer can handle. But 64-bit is no faster than 32-bit when doing normal processing - 2+2 still takes the same number of cycles.

With FGU it's actually now possible for it to appear slower than the 32-bit FGC. Why? Because GMs no longer worry about the pixel size of their images because FGU can now access lots more memory than FGC. So they load bigger maps and FGU now has to process a lot more pixels, so it runs slower (this is even without LOS enabled). GMs don't worry about loading every single module they have, so FG has to process more data. I'm not saying these are the roots of the perceived less snappiness of FGU compared to FGC. I'm just illustrating that 64-bit is not faster than 32-bit.
    Do you think performance will improve? Or will it get worse as you add more modules, extensions, maps, tokens, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Temmpest View Post
    Do you think performance will improve? Or will it get worse as you add more modules, extensions, maps, tokens, etc.
    Yes I think performance will improve with FGU. FGC had ~15 years to optimize performance. FGU has just gotten started. The devs have stated that performance is something they will continuously address and work on.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

It's good to hear. Thank you!

One problem is software aging. The longer FGU runs the worse/sluggish it gets.

Loading the Pathfinder 2 Bestiary

- from Launcher (with campaign start): 3.5 s
    - right after campaign start: 8.5 s
    - after 3 hours of gaming in the campaign: 47 s ("no response").

Same goes for removing NPC from CT and splitting party loot.

Most people don't load/unload modules during a session. They usually load at the beginning of a campaign; and then just leave them alone. This will not affect most people, though we will look at eventually.

Regards,
    JPG

And then you unloaded the Bestiary, because you thought it would not be needed, until one player asks for the stats of the Jade Serpent aka Giant Viper to be saved as link on his sheet. :P

Anyway, 8.5s at the beginning of a session vs. 47s towards the end points to some issue, both loaded during the session.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; December 1st, 2020 at 02:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    One problem is software aging. The longer FGU runs the worse/sluggish it gets.

Loading the Pathfinder 2 Bestiary

- from Launcher (with campaign start): 3.5 s
    - right after campaign start: 8.5 s
    - after 3 hours of gaming in the campaign: 47 s ("no response").

Same goes for removing NPC from CT and splitting party loot.
    Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I trust that performance will improve.

My group has finally started switching over to FGU and trying it out. I have to concur with the general sluggishness. Every window seems to take longer to load and present its data. But by far, the worst is scrolling in the Story windows. Its not "snappy" at all and takes quite a long time to scroll through.
    As much as I'd like to take advantage of the new map features, I cannot see us switching over as things currently perform. I'm quite disappointed. Frankly, I don't see how this optimization is considered a post-beta feature.
    -------------------------
    CST (GMT -6)

Your performance will vary based on the number of modules that you have loaded. Please unload modules that aren't being used; and performance will improve. I don't have that issue; but I also only keep a half dozen modules open at a time.
    Also, campaign lists are cached, so the sluggishness should only be on first opening for those.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information