DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

FGU running slower then FGC?

Since it officially released, I transferred my campaign over to it. Whenever I am creating a new story section, FGU chugs and takes awhile, like 4-5 seconds to register what I've typed so far. Also, when I have a character sheet open, it lags when trying to scroll anywhere in the sheet. This happens when scrolling elsewhere as well, be it when scrolling through the spell list or story sections. There's no errors being reported.

When I roll dice, it'll also take a small amount of time for the dice to calculate. It gets longer the more dice I add, for example rolling 26d6 will take around 5 seconds for results to appear. I timed it with a stopwatch.

Basically, it seems like FGU is running delayed for me and I do not know why. Everything runs perfectly smooth on FGC.

I'm running no extensions, just a copied over campaign from FGC I've been running smoothly for 3 years until now with this transfer.

I have more then capable hardware for running FGU perfectly, with a GTX 1070 GPU, Ryzen 3600 CPU, 32 GB of RAM and an NVMe SSD. So it can't be hardware related.

Can you try adjusting the vsync rate FGU is using - some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post551846
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I reopened FGU today and it wasn't having the lagging like before. Now it's a case of it will hang for a second probably every 3-4 seconds. I notice it when typing as it will just stop for a bit and then suddenly catch up. It's pretty consistent.

My GPU drivers are all updated by the way.
    My campaign size in Windows Explorer is about 1GB. I don't know if that's an issue or not.

The original lagging might have been FGU compiling your data for the first time/run.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    The original lagging might have been FGU compiling your data for the first time/run.
    FGU or FGC doesn't do a first time compilation of data. The GM instance will process the selected ruleset file/s, extension files, module files, etc. the same way every time it loads a campaign.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Interesting. So what causes the initial slag on the players' side when a player connects to a campaign for the very first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    So what causes the initial slag on the players' side when a player connects to a campaign for the very first time?
    Download of data - which is stored in the local cache purely for the player, not the GM. And this is updated as needed - the GM shares/unshares something, the ruleset or extensions are updated, etc... This is no compiling of any code/data on the GM side - neither in the code sense of compilation nor packaging/collection of data. The player instance compares the local cache data with what the GM has and downloads any new data as needed.

In regards to the problem mentioned by the OP, I believe they were just loading up a GM instance to work on their prep, so player caching of data wouldn't have an impact on anything here and the GM performance (as mentioned above) should be the same each time the campaign is loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    In regards to the problem mentioned by the OP, I believe they were just loading up a GM instance to work on their prep, so player caching of data wouldn't have an impact on anything here and the GM performance (as mentioned above) should be the same each time the campaign is loaded.
    Yup it was a GM instance for prepping. I won't be able to test the freezing when typing every few seconds for about a week, but if it continues should I post it here or just do a new thread since it'll be a week later and it's a slightly different issue then what it was originally? I can record it with OBS as well so that there is a visual for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperclipkiller View Post
    ... but if it continues should I post it here or just do a new thread since it'll be a week later and it's a slightly different issue then what it was originally?
    If it's the same issue just continue this thread.

It was commented last night by my players that while they wouldn't classify FGU as being slow, they did say FGU doesnt seem as "snappy" as FGC
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Thread Information