DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 10 First 1234 ... Last

Thread: Why no 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    What would 3D add to a virtual tabletop? Its not a first person shooter, or an MMORPG where all of it is made for you. Its a simulation of a tabletop to facilitate playing with friends. I dont see what 3d would add to that.

and I agree with JohnD. Prep time would be insane if DM's had to do 3d modeling for everything.
    I think it would be pretty trivial to have 3d tokens, lighting and effects. None of which would require any more work than the 2d versions for a DM (I don't make my tokens now). 3D maps is another issue which would be more complex and require either an amazing building tool or very good image analysis to generate a simplistic walled map. I've seen the latter.

The VTT Talespire is going all 3d and if you check out their reddit you'll see the community has generated a massive amount of maps.

Personally, I'd enjoy a more 3d environment, even if it's 2d+3d. Realistically I think anything like that is years out for Smiteworks.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Technology development, and that is what we are talking about when talk about adding 3D to a VTT, is driven by money and self-driven visionaries.

It takes both for a technology to achieve it's possibility. (Lots of examples if anyone doubts this.) RPGS have lots of visionaries, but very little money.

The RPG market for 2019 seems like it is really big, but it's not. What we really need to look at is what is called the Tabletop RPG market (yes we are talking VTT, but actually the VTT market is so small it's just lumped in under the Tabletop segment). In 2016/17 it was about $45million USD. Even that sounds large (compared to my household budget), but think of the thousands of people that provides jobs for. And, think of what is spent for a AAA video game of $60-80 million USD. Yes that is right, one video game spends almost twice as much to develop as the entire RPG tabletop market earns in a year!

So, if you want 3D in your VTT, then start spending your money accordingly. Convince your friends to spend their money too, and get new friends, and teach new people to play RPGs, and get them to spend their money. And help put a kabash on people claiming RPGs are too expensive, and shut down PDF piracy and IP theft. Set the expectation that an RPG product should cost the same as a AAA game, and that you should buy everyone that comes out, and you should run your VTT on a dedicated console. *G*

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

https://talespire.com/
    Is pretty neat...not out yet and I'm sure it's got years before it gets all the features we enjoy in FG today but it is 3d.

I've seen a couple of others out there as well that do 3d but all fairly primitive on all the other features.

Last edited by Jiminimonka; November 18th, 2020 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...bletop-Connect
    That was 3D and must be in the works for FGU

ddavidson even says as much on the last page of that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson View Post
    Our focus is more on the 2D mapping improvements for this initial phase. We plan to move into 2.5D in a future phase and then 3D beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by bmos View Post
    ddavidson even says as much on the last page of that thread:
    Exactly.

For the record, I don't care what other tabletops are doing, I have invested a lot of time (and a lot of money) into FantasyGrounds and am sticking with it until I drop dead in 2075.

(p.s. I just took delivery of a 4k monitor so I can have more room on the desktop when DMing)
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; November 18th, 2020 at 21:21.

Not big enough for FGU

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    If you want 3d, get ready to play 1 game every 6 weeks or so. It will take your DM a lot longer to prepare sessions.
    That's just silly. It would take not one second longer. They could just place things as usual. Whether they show up as 3D or 2D makes no difference.
    Last edited by Frunobulax; November 19th, 2020 at 15:51.

What would 3D add to a virtual tabletop? Its not a first person shooter, or an MMORPG where all of it is made for you. Its a simulation of a tabletop to facilitate playing with friends. I dont see what 3d would add to that.
    What does 2D add, why not just use text? Why not just play Dwarf Fortress? (https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/)

and I agree with JohnD. Prep time would be insane if DM's had to do 3d modeling for everything.
    Nonsense. No 3D modeling at all would be required. You don't understand how this works. That's like saying players have to model thier Diablo characters first.

Thread Information