5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Can FGU work without an internet connection?

I was just wondering, I am considering GMing an RPG at GenCon 2024. I am not sure 100% sure there will be WiFi there, so just wondering if FGU will work without it. My plan is to bring a laptop and a small(ish) TV. I was going to run FGU in GM mode and Player mode, and extend my screen to the TV for the players. I was going to have printouts of Character sheets as well as pass around a wireless mouse to move their tokens. So technically everything will be connected locally.

Yes. However, the lobby and named connection method will not work. You would have to use LAN Server Type and join via IP address.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of limitations are placed on the GenCon shared network; so if you're using the network provided by the convention, they may have limitations on whether they allow servers to run or throttling heavy bandwidth connections. Perhaps someone who has hosted on conventions, especially GenCon, can share there experience.

If you're connected to the convention network to get Internet access anyway, it may not matter.

Regards,
    JPG

Alloowishus,

Your plan sounds very doable as it is only your own laptop running the software. No one else is joining into the session so no need for an internet connection.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.islandkingdoms.org

Like anstett said, you setup should work - and your campaign will load faster if you set the Server type to LAN even if nobody else is connecting.

Thanks guys! Only think I would lose is Syrinscape, that would definitely need an internet connection.
    Last edited by alloowishus; December 31st, 2023 at 06:14.

Quote Originally Posted by alloowishus View Post
    Thanks guys! Only think I would lose is Syrinscape, that would definitely need an internet connection.
    Syrinscape/FG integration would be lost, but you could still use Syrinscape if you use the app (install and download the soundsets you want to use while you have an Internet connection), not the web player.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Syrinscape/FG integration would be lost, but you could still use Syrinscape if you use the app (install and download the soundsets you want to use while you have an Internet connection), not the web player.
    Hi, do you have a link of exactly how to do this? Thanks.

You will find some help on the Syrinscape forum: https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/maste...erything/19873

Quote Originally Posted by alloowishus View Post
    Hi, do you have a link of exactly how to do this? Thanks.
    Download the offline player and then install some soundsets. Get the offline player here: https://syrinscape.com/download/

There's various videos on how to use the offline player here: https://syrinscape.com/about-syrinscape/

The recent gotcha is that you can play sounds online without downloading them. To download them, double-click on the soundset title - a checkmark will appear once downloaded. See the information in the link provided by @Egheal.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 1st, 2024 at 15:36.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information