STAR TREK 2d20

SWADE compatibility with SWD materials in FGU

I would assume that FGU uses different "rules" between SWADE and SWD. So are the older SWD materials compatible with the SWADE inside FGU? I realize that it is surprisingly difficult to ask what I mean clearly. On table I can just convert SWD materials to SWADE but since FGU has automation and other features included, do the differences mess something up?

Blog Entries
    SWD is now a smaller ruleset which is layered over SWADE to essentially "downgrade" it back to SWD.

All* Savage Worlds DLC will load into both rulesets to maintain backward compatibility. (* There are a handful of products which have specific SWD and SWADE versions so you might only see the one for the ruleset you're using.) The places where SWADE made changes to the SWD rules, those changes are handled automatically. The only "gotcha" are the very few things that were part of SWD but were totally removed in SWADE (couple Edges and so forth). So the example would potentially be: you're using the SWADE ruleset but playing an older SWD product. You happen to find an NPC that has one of the Edges that don't exist in SWADE. That NPC will play just fine (although if it was supposed to have automation for the SWD Edge, that won't happen) but clicking the link to that Edge will pop an error dialog because it's linked to something that doesn't exist, just like trying to visit a website that no longer exists gives your browser a 404 error. I don't recall ever hearing stories of anyone having that happen yet, but there is a LOT of SWD material so it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    The places where SWADE made changes to the SWD rules, those changes are handled automatically.
    Sorry, what does this mean? Do you mean that if I use SWADE and and some SWD content with it, FGU will automatically convert the SWD mechanic to SWADE version?

I'm sorry I can't give good examples as I don't know what all things have changed and because it has been years since I played SWD last. But for example I have heard that powers work differenctly in SWADE. So if an NPC in SWD content has a power then does that power work as in SWD or in SWADE or will there be an error?

Blog Entries
    Exactly. Things like the Lame hindrance from SWD is now the Slow hindrance in SWADE, and the ruleset+DLC handles that for you. The SWD skill Investigation is now Research in SWADE. The power Armor is now Protection. Just a few examples, but everything like that is taken care of.

Ok, that sounds really awesome!

Thread Information