DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Slow Connection and Load Times

I have some feedback on the game connection/load times using Fantasy Grounds Unity. For the purposes of this, I have already connected and loaded before doing the test.

When I click to connect to the game, it seemed to take a long time to get the file list from the server. Is that not cached since nothing changed? Then, the UI takes a bit to load a couple windows and some UI elements before it loads some more then freezes. The time where the UI is not responsive feels longer and also makes you wonder if it's glitched out or not. I don't know if this is the modules loading or something, but it doesn't seem like normal behavior.

Here are the times from my observations, and I've also attached my logs:

0:33 from clicking to connect until the game UI shows
    1:02 until some stuff loads and the UI freezes
    0:41 until the UI is fully loaded and unfrozen

2:17 total

About 1 minute feels about right for a fully cached reconnect to me. The file list from the server should already be cached, and the UI should never be irresponsive.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You'd need to pull the log from within the application (using /console and hitting the Compile Logs button). The one in the updater pulls a different set of logs (i.e. updater logs).

The way that it works is that there is a network negotiation period, followed by a large list of files and file hashes, followed by a comparison of existing cache files with file hashes; followed by initialization of the tabletop frameworks (rulesets and extensions); followed by loading of all the graphic assets; followed by loading of all the data modules.

Loading will be faster for simpler game systems, less graphics assets and less data modules loaded.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information