FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Would it be possible, when parsing creature entries, to have a process that checks the attacks for the text "reach 10" or "reach 15" or whatever, sets the reach to the highest found number, and sets it to 5 otherwise? I've definitely messed up a number of times and given a creature an incorrect reach because I trusted the default values and shouldn't have. I've learned to check, now, but I imagine newer GMs get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAstro View Post
    Would it be possible, when parsing creature entries, to have a process that checks the attacks for the text "reach 10" or "reach 15" or whatever, sets the reach to the highest found number, and sets it to 5 otherwise? I've definitely messed up a number of times and given a creature an incorrect reach because I trusted the default values and shouldn't have. I've learned to check, now, but I imagine newer GMs get confused.
    It would be possible to do something like that - I can add it to my development list (but I won't be working on something like this for a while). This also won't address diagonals in reach greater than 10 feet.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I also want to caution that.. without looking over all the data I have gone through getting the Bestiaries ready... there might be creatures with differing reaches within their melee attacks.

Example: Dragons. I do believe they have different reaches between their jaws, claws, tails and horns. Animated Armor comes to mind, too, where they have a reach weapon, but their base attacks would be as a normal medium creature.

It might not be so simple as just finding a reach field within the melee attack strings. It's really a question of what do we want to accomplish. If it's to get a default reach, it would really be better to have a reach field that uses the details from the Size and Reach table Trenloe pointed out and then rely on just noticing those attacks which fall outside of that range.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

Thread Information