DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Unity: Can I add map tiles during play (easily)?

What I want to do: Players are exploring a new outdoor setting. They state they want to go north. Player does a navigation check. On a pass I would like to place the correct terrain type for the new grid location. If they fail, I want to place a terrain tile for where they actually are (known only by me) in the grid location that they think they are. So the displayed map represents to players the character knowledge of how they view the newly mapped area along with any inconsistencies.

Blog Entries
    Sure. It's easiest if you have the various tiles you will want to use already available in your FGU Assets, but if not that's just an extra step to import hem. Then you just place the new tiles you want as the players go.

For importing and map creation, see; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...ages+as+the+GM

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks. I tried it out and it works.

this sounds a like the kind of thing i'd like to be doing. If i may ask a few questions of your plans/method.

You have both a player as they go map and the GM's known objective map in the campaign?

As they make successful navigation out of a failed navigation square, how are you a planning on doing map corrections?

Will they correct their understanding of where that original failed nav square is, or will their map continue to be a mixed bag of their fails and sucess, with some other way in which their fails get corrected to the proper grid locaiton?

EXAMPLE:
    they fail on getting to where they wanted to.
    but from here their next chosen destination is on real map say 3-5 squares out.
    If they succeed on this.
    will they know the correct map for where they are to where they want to go, but still not understand that where they had first wanted to go is not where they wound up?
    Or would this 2nd successful navigation from the failed square, also correct their understanding of where it was they had been in the first place?

Just as i am thinking this out i find it a bit confusing in my mind's eye to see how their map grows, but maybe retains failed navigation checks over time too. As it seemed like those could be getting rather challenging to correct as time goes on.
    So was curious how things had been playing out for you and what your plans for this were in more details.

Thanks for your time and attention,
    Yeti

Haven't put this into practice yet so I'm making it up as I go. First there are two roads through the area that they can follow without fail. So that sort of breaks the map up into smaller pieces having a known anchor. The beginning player map will be the village and road with fog of war set.

Using hex. So an error would mean they step into the tile on either side (50/50%) of the correct direction.

If they find a path to a location that requires multiple trips, then I'm inclined to let them retrace their steps (errors and all) without a check. I might modify that if too much time elapses or weather effects cover their tracks. If they detect an inconsistency on a return trip, they have to make the decision to keep following the old path, or strike out into new territory to potentially find a shorter or better (or worse) way.

If their path takes them into previous territory (from their perspective) and it doesn't match a previously placed tile, then I plan to replace the previous tile with the new tile to represent their updated idea of where things are. I won't be updating the entire map around that one new tile. They'll have to decide if they want to scout around the new tile and update with what may be better or worse information. So if they get to one tile and detect an error, and decide to keep following the previous path, the previous tile will be moved to the new location. Then each successive tile they cover will be moved/updated to the new location.

Also thinking of limiting things by considering 2 or 3 successful checks for a tile means they know it pretty well and won't need further checks. Probably go with 2 near anchor points (road, village) and 3 checks further out. I'll have a paper copy of DM map and will use tick marks for successful checks to keep track.

So they have the choice of spending time and resources to do multiple scouting of an area to learn it well, or rely on repeated paths to get to/from places of interest.

Thread Information