FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Players losing connection repeatedly

Hello, I have been working for a few days trying to resolve a connection issue that some players in our game are experiencing. Our DM has created a campaign (cloud, public) in FG Unity. All players have downloaded the demo version to join the game. 3 players can connect without any issues, but 2 players (both in the same household) get kicked off the game repeatedly with the error message "game server connection was lost. Returning to launcher." Both players are on Macbooks, and they have an Xfinity internet plan.

I also have a Macbook and Xfinity at my house and I have no connectivity issues when I'm at home. I took my Macbook over to the house with the connectivity issues and I was also getting kicked off of the game with the same error message on my laptop.

I logged into their Xfinity account and checked the Advanced Settings and it didn't report any blocks or threats, but I turned it off for good measure. The issue persisted even after the Advance Security was disabled.

I was at their house yesterday with my device, and their 2 devices, trying to figure out what the issue was. Each computer gets kicked at different times, they aren't being booted all at once. I don't think the issue is on the DM/ hosting side since 3 other players can connect without any problems. I don't think it's a problem with their machines since my computer can connect at my house and cannot connect at their house. I think the problem lies with their internet. Could it be that they just have a cheap internet plan that doesn't hold a connection very well? I don't know if that could cause a problem like this.

I understand it's helpful to see the logs of the errors when posting issues like this, and I will post them if I can get them, but I'm sort of a third party to the problem so I don't have them on hand.

Any help is appreciated. We are all new to FG and I really like the software so far but the players that can't get on aren't very happy with it. Hoping we can get a solution soon!

Blog Entries
    Mod: moved to Unity House of healing since you mention you are using FGU.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

How are the two people that are in the same location connecting? They should be using the internal IP address to connect rather than via the Cloud,
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If you are using Cloud, then everyone should use lobby/cloud to connect. The network facilitation will attempt to work out whether you are on the same network.

You should definitely check this thread:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important

After checking that, we would need to get more data by having you pull the logs on both the GM and player client right when the disconnect happens.

Regards,
    JPG

They are connecting the same way all the players are connecting. When FG opens we just find the campaign in the list of campaigns under "Join Cloud Game" and enter the password. How would they join via internal IP address? Whose IP address would they need? The game is hosted via cloud so I'm not sure how they would join other than just finding the game in the list of cloud games? I'm extremely new to FG and don't know very much about computers so I apologize for asking dumb questions, just trying to get everyone connected and have some dnd fun!

As they are both having the same problem on Different computers. I might assume its the security on the router (as I assume they are BOTH on the SAME router) kicking them.
    Also check the router security logs via its web interface.
    They may see some stuff in the the logs from the router saying "OMG! its a DoS! Shut it down! SHUT IT DOWN!". Router says "Phew! that was close, look how helpful Im being, "
    I had this one a while back couldnt figure it out, after checking the logs turns out it was teamspeak the router didnt like (after an hour of playing with and yelling at FG. I owed it an apology)

Also make sure that Windows didnt turn on "use a Proxy" option. One of my players had that one too. His use a proxy option was on with no proxy address entered So windows didnt know what to do.
    Last edited by Willot; November 12th, 2020 at 22:11.
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mhouchin View Post
    How would they join via internal IP address? Whose IP address would they need? The game is hosted via cloud so I'm not sure how they would join other than just finding the game in the list of cloud games? I'm extremely new to FG and don't know very much about computers so I apologize for asking dumb questions, just trying to get everyone connected and have some dnd fun!
    Not a dumb question, and no need to apologize

When you (or the GM) choses "Cloud" the game is still hosted on the GMs computer, the connection between the players and the GM is 'brokered' by the cloud server. In short, it works as an intermediary to connect the two, uses lots of different methods as needed.

On the load campaign screen of the GM, before they click start, is a pair of "internal" IP addresses. Normally for LAN game (not Cloud) you would use those and the External IPs for players to use to connect. You can try them for a Cloud game, though normally that is not needed.

To use those, the player on the Join Campaign screen would input one of those (usually the IPv4 one, but sometimes the long IPv6 one) in the bottom of the Join Campaign list where it says "Join by IP and Port"

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Not a dumb question, and no need to apologize

When you (or the GM) choses "Cloud" the game is still hosted on the GMs computer, the connection between the players and the GM is 'brokered' by the cloud server. In short, it works as an intermediary to connect the two, uses lots of different methods as needed.

On the load campaign screen of the GM, before they click start, is a pair of "internal" IP addresses. Normally for LAN game (not Cloud) you would use those and the External IPs for players to use to connect. You can try them for a Cloud game, though normally that is not needed.

To use those, the player on the Join Campaign screen would input one of those (usually the IPv4 one, but sometimes the long IPv6 one) in the bottom of the Join Campaign list where it says "Join by IP and Port"

I thought of that but for some reason thought the LAN option would only work if you were on the same network as the host. Not sure why I had that notion, but I will have them give this a shot. Thank you for the help!! Hopefully it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Willot View Post
    As they are both having the same problem on Different computers. I might assume its the security on the router (as I assume they are BOTH on the SAME router) kicking them.
    Also check the router security logs via its web interface.
    They may see some stuff in the the logs from the router saying "OMG! its a DoS! Shut it down! SHUT IT DOWN!". Router says "Phew! that was close, look how helpful Im being, "
    I had this one a while back couldnt figure it out, after checking the logs turns out it was teamspeak the router didnt like (after an hour of playing with and yelling at FG. I owed it an apology)

Also make sure that Windows didnt turn on "use a Proxy" option. One of my players had that one too. His use a proxy option was on with no proxy address entered So windows didnt know what to do.
    Thanks for the reply. I thought this was the problem too, but I've already turned off their "advanced security" option from Xfinity, and there was no record of anything being blocked by it when I turned it off via their ISP account.

Thread Information