STAR TREK 2d20
Page 6 of 9 First ... 45678 ... Last
    Awesome to see the work that is being done. I am looking forward aswell to the new content generator build upon story template pro.
    Keep it rocking!

If we have a request, do we make it to you , or to SW directly in House of Healing?
    I'd really like to the see the date formatting be a little more non-US centric so that you can swap around the m d y as needed like OS/programming languages handle it... while mm/dd/yyyy is nice, it would also be nice to be able to do yyyy/mm/dd (when you want to sort by year first) or dd/mm/yyyy as they do in the UK

Considering Story Template is now integrated into FG, and the extension is no longer required, I would suggest going direct to SW through House of Healing.

Feature requests should be added to the FG wishlist here: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by dbachen View Post
    If we have a request, do we make it to you , or to SW directly in House of Healing?
    I'd really like to the see the date formatting be a little more non-US centric so that you can swap around the m d y as needed like OS/programming languages handle it... while mm/dd/yyyy is nice, it would also be nice to be able to do yyyy/mm/dd (when you want to sort by year first) or dd/mm/yyyy as they do in the UK
    I think those date formats are already supported. Not 100% but its in one of the videos or on the wiki

That’s easy enough, I can work it up when I return home in two weeks and submit an improvement to SW.

Though, if you purposely type in an incorrect format, FG will print all correct formats in the console! So type one incorrectly, then type /console in the chat, and have a look!

Quote Originally Posted by JimSocks View Post
    That’s easy enough, I can work it up when I return home in two weeks and submit an improvement to SW.

Though, if you purposely type in an incorrect format, FG will print all correct formats in the console! So type one incorrectly, then type /console in the chat, and have a look!
    Yeah, I tried alternate formats and got the message, which is why I was hoping to add it.. thanks for making the submission for me.

I'd really like to the see the date formatting be a little more non-US centric so that you can swap around the m d y as needed
    Code improvements submitted to Smiteworks!
    I have to admit, I THOUGHT it was going to be a quick operation, but then 15 versions later I finally got it where I was happy with it. I ended up doing WAY more than just implementing your requested formats!!!

I dug in and made date callouts REALLY user-friendly, as well as added support for any fantasy calendar you want to load in FG!

Now, the date callout format accepts anything you type into it (no matter the order, syntax, or extra words you put in), and will replace specific date strings if they are found within the callout brackets!

The user can enter the below strings in any way or order they wish within the callout, and it will work now- they are no longer tied to the list I thought up.
    As a result, it's WAY easier to use now without error. A user can make up their own formats like [Date:The ddd of month, in the year yyyy] or [FGDate:dd/mm: yy] as examples.

The different strings and how they operate are listed below. If the Story Template sees any of them within the format section of the Date or FGDate callout, it will replace them with the appropriate value:

(For these examples, assume the date is November 2 1984)
    "yyyy" = 1984
    "yy" = 84
    "month" = November
    "mm" = 11
    "mmm" = Nov (only works with Gregorian Calendar. Fantasy Calendars don't have abbreviations stored anywhere to use for this)
    "day" = Friday
    "dd" = 2
    "ddd" = 2nd (adds a numerical suffix ie: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.)
    "epoch" = AD
    "oldschool" = Friday, the 2nd of November, in the year of our Lord: Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Four (Still only works with the system calendar/[Date:FORMAT], not a fantasy calendar/[FGDate:FORMAT].)

And as mentioned above, fantasy calendars are now supported for [FGDate:FORMAT] callouts!

Please be aware- the code is not yet live, and will have to pass through Smiteworks QC before it is. This could take time, so please be patient!
    Last edited by JimSocks; June 14th, 2021 at 03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by JimSocks View Post
    Code improvements submitted to Smiteworks!
    I have to admit, I THOUGHT it was going to be a quick operation, but then 15 versions later I finally got it where I was happy with it. I ended up doing WAY more than just implementing your requested formats!!!

I dug in and made date callouts REALLY user-friendly, as well as added support for any fantasy calendar you want to load in FG!
    Thanks for the request and running with it.. That's what makes a great programmer/engineer! I think there is a lot of value to what you added, so I appreciate the hard work.

You are welcome, and thanks for the... well the thanks lol. Honestly the fact that I couldn't figure out the Fantasy Calendars really bugged me before when I had to cut my losses on it and move on, so when you mentioned adding better Date Callout functionality it got me thinking about taking another swing at the Fantasy Calendars again at the same time. ...Then I realized instead of just adding the specific formats you requested, there was a MUCH better way to handle the formatting for ALL users, and then I just fell into a rabbit hole...

Additionally, for anyone else following this thread, here is what I am working on next for Story Templates:

Cross-Template & Regular Callout Column Referencing With Link Records

If that thread is a bit too technical, what it all means is you could store links to items, encounters, parcels, NPCs, notes, story entries, images, or even other story templates, and then pull them via column referencing or even cross-template referencing whenever and wherever you need them. If I can pull it off, it will actually be a pretty big thing for Story Templates as a whole- so wish me luck!

Thread Information