STAR TREK 2d20
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345
    So reading through this it seems like the M1 Macs run FG OK - which is good as I'm considering getting one of these but have another question for anyone using one of these machines: can you run two instances at once without issue? I do that ocassionally with my current laptop (one instance for me as DM and one output to a monitor for the players) so would like to be able to still do this if possible. Thanks

@kaljp From your last post, it isn’t clear if you’re using a Mac for Fantasy Grounds Unity right now. One limitation of the current M1 devices (as of this writing) is that the MacBook Air/Pro laptops support only one external display, and the Mac mini supports two displays (Thunderbolt/USB-C, plus HDMI). With the laptops’ built-in displays, each current M1 Mac supports two total displays.

If you have or intend to use more than one external display and intend to get a laptop, you may want to wait to see what future Apple Silicon Macs offer for external display support. If you are looking at a Mac mini for two external displays, note that at least one of them will need to use HDMI.

According to another thread, you can use the “open” command to get another instance of FG:

open -n -a FantasyGrounds.app
    The key is the “-n” option on the “open” command. From the command’s man page:

-n Open a new instance of the application(s) even if one is already running.
    Last edited by jaharmi; July 13th, 2021 at 18:26.

Hi there,
    I own a Ryzen 3700x Windows PC and a M1 Mac Mini. The Mac runs FGU like a charm. The air thats coming out the backside of the mac mini is even colder than the room temperature .
    I would welcome a native FGU app, but i am also more than happy with the Intel emulation. When I start Starfinder or Pathfinder 2nd, it even loads 15 seconds faster on the M1 Mac than on the PC.

regards, Loco

Quote Originally Posted by Locotomo View Post
    Hi there,
    I own a Ryzen 3700x Windows PC and a M1 Mac Mini. The Mac runs FGU like a charm. The air thats coming out the backside of the mac mini is even colder than the room temperature .
    I would welcome a native FGU app, but i am also more than happy with the Intel emulation. When I start Starfinder or Pathfinder 2nd, it even loads 15 seconds faster on the M1 Mac than on the PC.

regards, Loco
    @Locotomo A few questions regarding your M1 Mac mini setup:

• Are you using a single monitor, or two displays?
    • Have you tried two instances of FGU on it?
    • Do you have 8 or 16 GB of RAM?
    • I’m curious if you have any issues you might attribute to the amount of RAM.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jaharmi View Post
    @Locotomo A few questions regarding your M1 Mac mini setup:

• Are you using a single monitor, or two displays?
    • Have you tried two instances of FGU on it?
    • Do you have 8 or 16 GB of RAM?
    • I’m curious if you have any issues you might attribute to the amount of RAM.

Thanks!
    Hi there,
    I am using 2 Monitors. 5120x1440 and 4K.
    I only use 1 instance. Never tried two.
    16GB RAM.
    No issues so far

regards, Loco

Thread Information