DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 6 of 7 First ... 4567 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    All UI display must go through main thread in order to be displayed in Unity; which is what allows full cross-platform builds.
    I was getting on to post this same thing. You already told us exactly what the problem was a few pages ago, but I'll expound so-as to not take more dev time in this thread.

Render thread is always single-threaded in every UI framework, including QT, C# WPF, Xamarin, and other game engines. This is the case because UI is built with a layered approach and you can't just have things render in any old order or else you get all kinds of weird display artifacts. In the case of FGU, this is based on information coming from the LUA engine once the main playing area is displayed. The initial load of FGU from the launcher shows a progress bar because at that point in time the LUA state machine can run in its thread, and the UI render thread doesn't care what the LUA state machine is doing -- yet. In the launching mode it would only care to know when the LUA engine is ready.

Once the transition to "the game" happens, everything has to come via the LUA engine because that's where all the state is. When you start loading modules, now you're in a state where your render thread is directly dependent upon the LUA engine, which is busy loading your module state and blocking further requests until it's done. That's why it goes white screen at that point, and white screen is just the OS specific way of letting you know the program isn't rendering or accepting input.

Going to another scripting engine isn't a solution when part of the problem is maintaining backwards compatibility, and most of the problem is contention over locked resources (in this case the LUA state engine). There will still be contention regardless of which scripting engine is used because if the UI is rendering incomplete state you get weird artifacts or crashes. This is one reason that immutable (or Frozen) state is what you want to work with in the UI layer (and arguably in as many places as possible but that claim sparks a religious debate). The state of stuff will be changing, of course, but it's changing elsewhere.

The way many of the UI rendering engines get away with threading for processing on something OTHER than the render thread is that they dispatch state changes to the UI layer. So while it appears that the program is responsive, it might not be doing anything useful other than placating the user by letting them know it's busy and not in the process of crashing.

In the case of FGU, though, even if you could figure out a way to create such a dispatcher between LUA and the Unity code layers, you still have a major problem to overcome, namely "exactly what am I supposed to dispatch?" FGU's rulesets, modules, and extensions have a ton of expression based stuff. Value1 = value2 * value3. So if Value3 changes, it needs to dispatch notice of anything that subscribes to it. Most game related expressions aren't that simple. Even calculating a character's main attributes is a series of expressions in an "all games supported" engine like FG, and everything else builds off of the results of those expressions.

Creating a dynamic subscription dispatcher is a lot of work to do to avoid hitching, and a very difficult architectural change. It's also pretty special case, so probably wouldn't be available on the Unity store. And it's also completely understandable why it would not be included in a complete rebuild of FG.

So far the only times I've seen noticeable hitching have been when opening a list (which is so much better now than it was a few months ago), when loading all the modules I want to use when setting up my campaign for the first time, and when players are connecting. I can live with the loading of modules thing because I only need to do it the one time, and I never toggle it while players are connected. All the players will experience the same hitching on their end when they activate the modules for the first time, but again I only hear them complain about "the steps" whenever we start a new campaign. My group might be rare in that it's usually punctual, so we don't even have to deal with the player connection hitching except at the beginning of the session.

one simple solution is to limit the amount of layers in you maps.. and if it gets really bad.. turn off things like Fx, and LOS. You can just use the original version of fog of war and reveal the maps as players explore..

Quote Originally Posted by fubeca150 View Post
    I was getting on to post this same thing. You already told us exactly what the problem was a few pages ago, but I'll expound so-as to not take more dev time in this thread.
    Thanks for the thorough explanation!

Render thread is always single-threaded in every UI framework, including QT, C# WPF, Xamarin, and other game engines.
    Not a problem as long as other tasks than rendering can be sourced to different threads.

In the case of FGU, this is based on information coming from the LUA engine once the main playing area is displayed.
    We welcome FPS drops (aka energy-saving) when nothing happens. We can live with fps drops when something is calculated. We don't like input/output freezing to 0 fps, though.

The initial load of FGU from the launcher shows a progress bar because at that point in time the LUA state machine can run in its thread, and the UI render thread doesn't care what the LUA state machine is doing -- yet.
    I assume this is "LOAD PART 1" then, where a mono thread is doing the work?!

In the launching mode it would only care to know when the LUA engine is ready.
    When is this mode entered with FGU? After PART 1 and before PART 2?

Once the transition to "the game" happens, everything has to come via the LUA engine because that's where all the state is.
    Is this where PART 2 begins and modules are loaded by the main thread?

When you start loading modules, now you're in a state where your render thread is directly dependent upon the LUA engine, which is busy loading your module state and blocking further requests until it's done.
    In FGU the "render thread" is the same as the "LUA engine" thread. Do both have to run in the same thread with Unity? The LUA engine cannot do its thing in its own thread while the main thread remains animated? Digital stone ages, but let's assume from this point on that this is the case.

So the rendering pipeline waits for the LUA engine to give feedback. Why does the LUA engine not do this? I know it is busy loading and processing scripts, but how expensive can it be to sent a short ping to the rendering engine every once in a while?

That's why it goes white screen at that point, and white screen is just the OS specific way of letting you know the program isn't rendering or accepting input.
    Of course this is the OS trying to make sense of it. It begins with a blue circle mouse-pointer animation, then turns into a white screen and finally into a "not responding" message. All defined by timeouts set within the OS.

Going to another scripting engine isn't a solution when part of the problem is maintaining backwards compatibility, and most of the problem is contention over locked resources (in this case the LUA state engine).
    And here we get to the point where single-thread design is not the main culprit. FGU's blatant slowness compared to FGC when loading the very same LUA scripts is. Why would the same LUA module take 1-2 seconds to load in FGC, but 6-7 seconds to load in FGU (including a short output freeze)? If this was better optimized then we wouldn't have to think too much about multi-threading anything script-loading related.

This is one reason that immutable (or Frozen) state is what you want to work with in the UI layer (and arguably in as many places as possible but that claim sparks a religious debate).
    If the rendering and LUA engines cannot be handled asynchronously in different threads then the LUA engine should work in a way that keeps the UI responsive. This will introduce cost, hopefully not too much, though. But again the possible solution also suffers from the current lack of optimization to bring FGU to at least match FGC. Opening an image allocates to much (more) private memory in FGU that I am not surprised that so many more CPU cycles are necessary to handle these thing. All that extra data wants to be processed.

The way many of the UI rendering engines get away with threading for processing on something OTHER than the render thread is that they dispatch state changes to the UI layer. So while it appears that the program is responsive, it might not be doing anything useful other than placating the user by letting them know it's busy and not in the process of crashing.
    Which is important. Even back in the days of DOS applications kept the cursor animated to announce to users that they did not freeze. We still have animated hour-glasses, circles and beachballs to that effect. And there is a reason why keyboards come with an input buffer to allow users further input even when the data cannot be processed immediately.

In the case of FGU, though, even if you could figure out a way to create such a dispatcher between LUA and the Unity code layers, you still have a major problem to overcome, namely "exactly what am I supposed to dispatch?"
    Drawing character sheets/windows and anything that does not need further expressions calculations would be a start. The missing numbers can be filled out once they are finished being calculated. Instead of monolithically displaying everything in one go there always is the option of displaying things progressively.

FGU's rulesets, modules, and extensions have a ton of expression based stuff. Value1 = value2 * value3. So if Value3 changes, it needs to dispatch notice of anything that subscribes to it. Most game related expressions aren't that simple. Even calculating a character's main attributes is a series of expressions in an "all games supported" engine like FG, and everything else builds off of the results of those expressions.
    But are these expressions and the calculations behind it really expensive? Character sheet based stuff seems like very simple math with small numbers to me. We are not talking calculating 3D raytracing rendering scenes here.

Creating a dynamic subscription dispatcher is a lot of work to do to avoid hitching, and a very difficult architectural change. It's also pretty special case, so probably wouldn't be available on the Unity store. And it's also completely understandable why it would not be included in a complete rebuild of FG.
    I would think that a rebuild is just the opportunity to design these kind of things from the ground up, instead of trying to tack them on later. It also seems that you are telling me that modern UI frameworks do not come with readily available tools to set this up?! Quite a shame.

So far the only times I've seen noticeable hitching have been when opening a list (which is so much better now than it was a few months ago), when loading all the modules I want to use when setting up my campaign for the first time, and when players are connecting.
    I am on a strong 9900K based computer, but still see dropouts happening, mostly shorter than the "not responding" timeout. Waiting for one-time load stuff is fine by me, although I am still unhappy that performance is so much worse compared to FGC for doing the same things. It's the in-between short drops in responsiveness that make the experience less pleasant.

And then there is the regular dropouts when new features like LoS are used. This is something where Moon Wizard stated that they are considering multi-threading for the calculations of LoS. I would welcome this.

Then again, he also stated that networking is already multi-threaded, but I still got up to half a minute delays when starting Launcher, because the whole UI was waiting for networking to answer. Instead the UI should have started and told me in a meaningful way that networking is still busy doing its thing. These are design/concept problems that come before the code and UI framework hurdles. It sometimes seems as if the developers forget that there are people in front of their expensive computer hardware waiting to get information about what the heck is going on and whether they should rather get a hot drink meanwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by mm44 View Post
    one simple solution is to limit the amount of layers in you maps.. and if it gets really bad.. turn off things like Fx, and LOS. You can just use the original version of fog of war and reveal the maps as players explore..
    So effectively going back to FGC, because from a player's perspective these are the main incentives to even use FGU. Not to mention the GM who was happy to get rid of having to manually unmask the map.

Network transfer is worlds apart quicker in FGU compared to FGC, but players usually don't experience so much of that part when processing the transferred data takes so much longer instead.

I can live with a half minute delay here and there (and longer because a minute is only a long time when you stare at a clock) while FGU is optimised and has features added (which is what sets FGU apart from FGC, its going to get more stuff, LOS being just the start), and being as I am not an expert in writing computer software because I have not done so for over 25 years, I will leave it to people who write and fix code all day to do their job, and let them deal with bug reports.

I agree that giving some kind of progress indicator would address the perception issue. The solution is a lot more difficult than you make it out to be, though. I'd love to see it addressed, but not at the cost of features that matter more to me. From what a few others have chimed in, that's the same position others hold.

I'm on vacation right now, which is why I can spend so much time conjecturing and thinking about this. Plus I feel bad about dog-piling early in this thread now that I've given it a lot more thought and realized the scope of necessary changes.

I'm very bad at forum quoting, so I'm going to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    In FGU the "render thread" is the same as the "LUA engine" thread. Do both have to run in the same thread with Unity? The LUA engine cannot do its thing in its own thread while the main thread remains animated? Digital stone ages, but let's assume from this point on that this is the case.
    They aren't in the same thread. LUA runs on its own thread, but based on what Moon Wizard said, the "how to draw" comes from LUA, and that will be because FGU maintained backwards compatibility with FG. This is a very complicated problem to work around.

So the rendering pipeline waits for the LUA engine to give feedback. Why does the LUA engine not do this? I know it is busy loading and processing scripts, but how expensive can it be to sent a short ping to the rendering engine every once in a while?
    I appreciate the complexity of the pickle they've gotten themselves into. 15 years ago this was still commonplace in applications, and it wasn't until mobile applications hit it big that people started to demand a better experience than being happy to just have something that works.

Here's the pickle of the solution you suggested. LUA engine is busy loading a module. If they were to add a ping in that process, then the ping would go out to the Unity engine, and then need to be dispatched to a thread that cares. That thread happens to be the render thread. The render thread is waiting on the LUA thread, and now the LUA thread is waiting on the render thread. That's a deadlock.

Okay, so let's say they fire and forget the ping to avoid deadlocking the render and LUA threads. Now the ping goes out to the dispatcher. The dispatcher will wait until the render thread can pick it up. The render thread will pick that up as soon as the LUA thread gives it the information it's currently waiting on. As soon as it gets a chance to continue on it will process a bunch of those pings all in a row. If you can remember back far enough, you might even remember software that used to do this. The software would be frozen and then all of a sudden it would refresh, then refresh again multiple times. That's those pings finally coming through.

If the rendering and LUA engines cannot be handled asynchronously in different threads then the LUA engine should work in a way that keeps the UI responsive. This will introduce cost, hopefully not too much, though. But again the possible solution also suffers from the current lack of optimization to bring FGU to at least match FGC.
    LUA is a scripting engine and is UI framework independent. That developers hook a UI to it is incidental to LUA and none of its concern. That developers are using the LUA engine to dictate everything about the UI is the crux of the problem we're seeing.

The optimization is something that they can work on. And if optimization is sufficient then all the rest of the asynchronous stuff wouldn't need to be done. I'd bet they are working on the optimization, but a few guys can only do so much in a given timeframe. And judging on the patch notes that I read with each update, they are quite busy.

Even back in the days of DOS applications kept the cursor animated to announce to users that they did not freeze. We still have animated hour-glasses, circles and beachballs to that effect.
    That's not the application that is animating the cursor. The applications that manage it send an operating system message to change the cursor prior to doing heavy work, and then when the work is done they send another message to revert it back. Thankfully that's mostly a thing of the past, and application developers that do it nowadays need to be taught a new thing or two. The operating system now does it when an application doesn't respond to message prompting from the OS.

Drawing character sheets/windows and anything that does not need further expressions calculations would be a start.
    I had segued into a possible solution and was musing over the difficulties and complexities associated with that solution. Adding another layer to hold current "frozen" state is one possible solution to the problem. By adding a separate layer between the render layer and the LUA layer, the LUA layer could pump "pings" (as you put it) up to that layer and the pings would be of the nature of the new value of a given variable. Most applications can get away with pumping the fact that state changed and that's all that needs to happen. But pumping only that means that the receiver of the message would still need to go back to the LUA engine to get the actual changes. So that pump needs to be the state, too, not just that it changed.

The inherent problem with an approach of that nature in this case is that with an expression engine like what FG uses is dependent on many other things, and identifying what would need to be pumped up the ladder would take extra effort because when one value gets pumped the LUA layer would have to figure out all of the values dependent on value3, and on any values dependent upon those values. It's a tree. So now it would be pumping a ton of state all the time, and LUA isn't particularly speedy, either. (And the end result would be that it would take a lot longer to do any useful new processing.)

I would think that a rebuild is just the opportunity to design these kind of things from the ground up, instead of trying to tack them on later. It also seems that you are telling me that modern UI frameworks do not come with readily available tools to set this up?! Quite a shame.
    It is a shame from the perspective of a consumer that is fixating on that, for sure.

I can only conjecture, especially because I'm a relative newcomer, but I think this would have added at least a couple of months of development work to their timeline as they experimented with different approaches. They wouldn't have done it early because they needed a proof of concept. Then they needed to get ready for a Kickstarter. Then they needed to get the bits that people used and notice all the time functional for release. This loading issue isn't one that constantly plagues every user. It's a startup issue, or an issue that happens when a user toggles modules on later.

Anyways, it's a super complicated problem and I don't see that there's a whole lot of bang for buck to solve it. I'll admit that I've never seen FG's code. I have, however, come into projects to solve similar issues, and it's a hairy issue. If optimization doesn't fix it, it's a hard sell to say "well, I guess we can rewrite".

It sometimes seems as if the developers forget that there are people in front of their expensive computer hardware waiting to get information about what the heck is going on and whether they should rather get a hot drink meanwhile.
    Developers truly don't forget. People assume developers are nefarious and have all these plots about how to make peoples' lives miserable. It's actually quite the contrary. You might be surprised to learn that most developers want their users to have the best possible experience. They are frustrated in their desires by only having so much time to get stuff done. That means prioritizing tasks in an order that makes the most sense to the widest audience. Only open source projects can afford to stay in architecture mode for 4-5 years.

Yep, PCGen has really only been re-written fully like twice in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fubeca150 View Post
    I agree that giving some kind of progress indicator would address the perception issue. The solution is a lot more difficult than you make it out to be, though. I'd love to see it addressed, but not at the cost of features that matter more to me. From what a few others have chimed in, that's the same position others hold.
    For our group FG is mainly a graphical user-interface for table-top heavy systems, we don't need it for something like Eclipse Phase, just for Pathfinder. All the automation is great and helps to lessen the GM's work, but we could just as much play with PDF files and roll on our table (or via Discord bot). FG's main task (for us) is to provide a good input/output experience, show a map + help visualize what everyone is doing. That doesn't mean that we don't immensely enjoy the automation, especially my players who did not have to pay a single dime for it.

They aren't in the same thread. LUA runs on its own thread, but based on what Moon Wizard said, the "how to draw" comes from LUA, and that will be because FGU maintained backwards compatibility with FG. This is a very complicated problem to work around.
    I think we mean different things here. You seem to mean the thread handling output to the GPU driver, that thread is hardly ever taxed even when frame-rates drop down to zero. I mean to have a thread dedicated only to GUI input/output with everything else (like dice rolling, stats calculations, expressions, etc) being handled by a thread independent of GUI I/O. Moon Wizard seems to suggest that this is not technically possible with Unity + LUA (for the time being). Bad luck then, but also another shackle to keep us in the digital stone-ages.

Here's the pickle of the solution you suggested. LUA engine is busy loading a module. If they were to add a ping in that process, then the ping would go out to the Unity engine, and then need to be dispatched to a thread that cares. That thread happens to be the render thread. The render thread is waiting on the LUA thread, and now the LUA thread is waiting on the render thread. That's a deadlock.
    I did not get the impression that this is how it works. All heavy lifting is done by the main FGU thread, this seems to be where the LUA engine is situated and this is were all Unity API calls need to happen. So when the LUA engine is busy loading data from a drive and then process said data, the latter of which takes considerably longer than the former in FGU, then why would the loading routine not be able to give a ping back to its handler every X seconds/kb?

Let's assume that LUA methods and Unity API calls are not capable of processing anything else than loading a full file, then we could still at least keep the UI reactive in between multiple files being loaded and between loading and processing.

The optimization is something that they can work on. And if optimization is sufficient then all the rest of the asynchronous stuff wouldn't need to be done. I'd bet they are working on the optimization, but a few guys can only do so much in a given timeframe. And judging on the patch notes that I read with each update, they are quite busy.
    Indeed, but judging by the current implementation I get the impression that there are (responsive) UI design issues to begin with, even before tackling final implementation.

Here is an example: I double-clicked on the "Campaign" image sub-folder and FGU began loading the images inside to display thumbnails. Not only does it not tell me what is going on, but it did not even make the jump to the sub-folder to show me that it accepted my double-click. Ignore the FPS being displayed at the top, the real fps is 0 (zero) and the screen goes white ("no response") if I click on FGU's window again.

Every other thumbnails displaying software out there would open the folder, display the thumbnails that were already processed and then one by one display the ones that finished later. Some software even presents a progress indicator to show how far it got. FGU displays zilch until all images are read and ready to be displayed as thumbnails.

Feature request: Please implement a thumbnail cache for assets and overhaul the horrible Assets UI to at least reach the standards of FGC's.

The operating system now does it when an application doesn't respond to message prompting from the OS.
    Have the application respond to the OS then. If it cannot be done via its own watchguard thread then implement some other form of keepalive timeout. If this is not possible in Unity then d*mn, too bad.

I had segued into a possible solution and was musing over the difficulties and complexities associated with that solution...
    The question is if FGU's deverlopers plan on doing something about it or if this is not even considered a (real) problem?! I get the impression of the latter, because the former is not openly communicated. I was just accused of intentionally wasting the developers time by reporting a possible memory leak. Where can it go from there?

Developers truly don't forget. People assume developers are nefarious and have all these plots about how to make peoples' lives miserable.
    Absolutely not. But they tend to concentrate on the engine, deeming the UI something to put on top of the functionality, or expecting end-users to follow their paradigm. There often is a disconnect and support usually is the place that tries to re-establish that connection after the fact that the design is already set in (mind)stone. I do work with developers of drivers, software and hardware and I do work with end-users. I do understand the financial and time constraints that software is developed under. Transparent communication goes a long way to ease the pains.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 25th, 2020 at 22:28.

Concise bug reports are cool.

Expecting the devs to explain their rationale is not cool.

What does that tell us about the multi-threading discussion?
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 26th, 2020 at 00:45.

Thread Information