DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... Last

Randomness and Analytics of Die Rolls

Both could be interesting, same dice per player and same dice by all players. I don't know if dice are calculated by the player client or by the server when a player rolls?

It could also be useful to see dice rolls (or totals) on a time-graph, so that we get a better picture of the distribution in time.

Let me ask a question in return: what seed/source is used for FG's random number calculation?

There is no random number generator. The dice are a physics simulation of a perfectly weighted dice dropped from a fixed height onto a flat surface.
    No random generator, so no seed. In Classic the dice move while in the air, in Unity it does not seem so (which looks strange and suggest an awkward dice throwing technique).

The dice is given a random rotation based on the computer RNG every time it is picked up or rolled.
    A random generator, what is the seed and how is the RNG (Randon Number Generator) done?

Also, the lateral direction and power of the die roll is determined by the speed of the mouse prior to the die release.
    So the seed for lateral direction and power is determined by mouse-movement.

If the speed is too slow, the speed is increased to a minimum. If you double click instead of rolling with the mouse, then a random direction is chosen with a random power based on the computer RNG.
    Except when it isn't (we mostly use double-clicking here), then a random generator is used front to back, the seed and implementation of which I wonder about.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 3rd, 2020 at 08:32.

Blog Entries
    No computer generated RNG is ever truly truly random. That does not mean that for all practical purposes the numbers are not random.

Yes, thanks, I knew that, it depends on the algorithm and seed being used. Do you happen to know what seed is used? I assume a pseudo-random seed (unless something like random.org is used), but the question still stands.
    Last edited by Weissrolf; November 3rd, 2020 at 09:40.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    Yes, thanks, I knew that, it depends on the algorithm and seed being used. Do you happen to know what seed is used? I assume a pseudo-random seed (unless something like random.org is used), but the question still stands.
    Ive directed you to the statement made by the devs.

Yes, thank you. I quoted said statement ("There is no RNG, but there is a RNG") and it does not tell us anything about the seed.

So we are back at were we started, the question unfortunately was not answered, not even with a "we don't know and the devs won't tell". Maybe the answer is hidden somewhere in this forum, but I was not able to find it yet. This means we can only look at the RNG outcome, which this thread is about. Would have been nice to have more information on the process available, though.

Blog Entries
    I think that the statement made by the devs is as much info as they are prepared to release at this time. They have made the same statement at least a half dozen times.

Thread Information