STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

One Player Suddenly Unable to Join to my FGC Ultimate Server?

One of my players wasn't able to connect to my FGC Ultimate server last night. Other players connected fine and that player had connected successfully on previous sessions. We tried everything imaginable to resolve this, including rebooting his PC and router and checking his Windows Firewall setting; FGC clients config was correct. At one point we used some legacy TCPIP tools to try and get some info. I had him run netstat -n while he attempted to connect, while I ran it at the same time. I could never see his Internet IP address in the Foreign Address column. He could see my Internet IP address in that column with the correct port 1802, but the state never got past SYN which I recall as being the initial send sequence number part of the connection. We're both in the same city and are using the same Internet Service Provider. I had him check his router log and he had some error message about a IPv6 failure. I don't know if that is or isn't related to this problem?

If anyone could give any suggestions as to how to resolve this, I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by kronovan; November 4th, 2020 at 15:36.

Check your advanced internet security hasn’t blocked that specific player. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Many thanks for the reply Trenloe. My port configuration is made directly on my router and not an ISP website. I have 2 routers and I do know that both are configured correctly for routing port 1802, but you never know and weirder stuff has happened. I'll check the external/Internet side router's security page when I'm back at home.

The page linked describes an additional layer of security some ISPs are using - including Shaw. This is in addition to anything you have setup locally.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The page linked describes an additional layer of security some ISPs are using - including Shaw. This is in addition to anything you have setup locally.
    Aha, you must have read my post in that thread. Yep I'm aware of that "additional level of security", but I had the Shaw Tech place my router in to bridged mode at installation so my connetions wouldn't be routed through it. Now...is it possibe that Shaw has recently done something with my connection in error - heck yeah, they're capable of doing all sorts of unsolicited and silly things. If I don't note anything on my external-Shaw Internet router, I most certainly will contact support.

Well I checked into it and confirmed that my Shaw modem-router is indeed still in bridged mode and isn't being routed through any Shaw security server or cloud. If you're using the Shaw service, that can be confirmed by attempting to access internet.shaw.ca. If your modem-router is in bridged mode, you don't have access to that portal. So the problems/issues detailed in that thread linked near the top, don't apply in my case. Meanwhile I checked my external modem-router and all the port forwarding is still configured correctly and working.

if anyone could give other suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Perhaps the issue is with the ISP or security software/router on the player side?

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Perhaps the issue is with the ISP or security software/router on the player side?
    Yep, I have considered that. We did go through his router configuration, but nothing stood out other than the IPv6 error I mentioned above. Still, I know his modem-router isn't bridged, so I've messaged him and suggested he thoroughly check his advanced security page and logs on the portal.

OK so does the user have a second PC he could install FG on and test from that PC? If you want I can bring up my FGC server and he can try and connect to me.
    Can he connect to you if no one else is connected? Have you tried a new campaign?
    Has he rebooted all of his networking gear? I had a switch that used to cause me random problems if I did not reboot it every 5 or 6 months.
    Has he ever connected to you?
    Any chance he is using the FGU client?
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Thread Information