5E Character Create Playlist

New Water FX Method Causing Significant Ghosting

Hello,

I noticed that with this latest update, the water FX changed from a drop rippling to a more side-to-side motion. While with the drop, there was a slight ghosting of images when masking away a non-water area that shouldn't have the effect (for example, a bridge crossing the river). With this change to the water FX method, the image ghosting has dramatically increased.

I am attaching 3 images. One is the setting for the water FX. The other two shows the ghosting. The image is a bridge going over water. In it, I added a FX layer with water and created a mask like Doug's video he put out recently. Then I unmasked areas that should be rippling waters. Due to the original ghosting of the masked area into the ripple (mainly from a zoomed out standpoint), I didn't cut the mask to close. The picture will show the bridge going significantly into the water even though it is masked (due to the horizontal side-to-side motion of the FX). In another example, I marked the areas where the mask was drawn by a yellow highlighter so it would be more apparent where the mask that shouldn't have the effect is.

FG Effect Settings.jpg
    FG Effects Ghosting.jpg
    FG Effects Ghosting2.jpg

Thanks,
    Danny
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Timezone: US Eastern Time
    Ultimate License Holder

Am I the only one who is experiencing this? Because if I am, maybe I'm not doing something correctly. Not sure if there is an order of operations that makes this not happen but here is what I am doing (just for extra information):

1. Add the actual image
    2. Add the water FX layer
    3. Add a mask layer to the FX layer
    4. I reveal map to remove the mask for the area that the effect should be happening in.
    5. Because the FX usually makes the assigned grid move too, I add a blank layer at the end. The grid seems like it attaches to that and thus, the grid no longer sways.

Not sure if this expanded reply helps understand the issue or not. It would be nice to know if I am just not adding layers in the correct order and thus causing the issues due to that. Thanks.
    Developer for lots of adventures, particularly 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, and Pathfinder 2E

Ultimate License Holder

Yeah Ive been seeing some funny FX too. As of last night's game
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reports. The issue with water FX has been addressed and should be fixed in the next update. Thanks for pointing out the "wiggly" grid lines. There was a sorting order bug with the FX layers that will be fixed in the next update, as well.

You're welcome, Carl. Glad I could help.

You guys are doing great. The new features coming out are really starting to show how polished FGU can be. I can't wait to continue to see FGU's features mature. It's getting exciting and it seems like we are getting closer and closer to the point where we can have individual sight ranges and light sources from PCs (such as carrying a torch). I know we may still be a ways away from those specific examples, but the point is that seeing the system improve as quickly as it is gives hope that "a ways away" may not be as far off as many of us may have guessed.

Anyway, long-winded way of saying good job to you and the rest of the team.

Ultimate License Holder

Thread Information