5E Product Walkthrough Playlist

Masking FX Layers Tanks Performance When Moving Tokens

Heyo,

I know it's a brand new feature, but I've found that masking FX layers, (which I'm over the moon about being able to do, less time in Photoshop cutting out sections of map) makes my frame rate plummets when I move tokens around the map.

I usually put my players on a big ol' map and let them run around and hit things, (4900x7000 pixels is a typical map resolution).

I had LOS and 4 masked FX layers (water, ocean and 2 myst) going and then tested it with tokens and everything would freeze for several seconds.

I took away LOS and FX layers one by one to see what was causing it and when I deleted the masked layers, no more freezing. Took my map and reduced it in size in Photoshop, 50% at first, same result. Reduced it another 50%, same result. When I didn't use a mask with the FX layer the frame rate dropped a bit, but not a lot and no freezing.

FGU: v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-10-29)

Ruleset was 5E, that's about all I use TBH.

I might be asking too much of a new feature, but the effects are pretty and I want them all!

Cheers

Can you provide a copy of your campaign folder zipped up with the masks in place, and share a link via a file share service?

I've asked Carl to take a look, and I know that he likes having examples to work from.

Thanks,
    JPG

No worries at all, just uploaded. It was the first map in a new mod, so there isn't anything else in there but what I was working on yet.

Appreciate the swift response!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Looku View Post
    No worries at all, just uploaded. It was the first map in a new mod, so there isn't anything else in there but what I was working on yet.

Thanks, Count Looku. I got the file.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Looku View Post

Using your campaign I was able to diagnose the issue and it should be fixed in the next release. Thanks again for sharing.

Thread Information