DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 8 First ... 34567 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    You can create NPC entry for the Sentry Gun (even APC) and put it on CT. I did that for my game and it worked fine. We can explore putting Vehicles in the CT in addition to ships in future releases.
    Thank you for the reply. I thought about it after I posted this and did make it an NPC.

Hello,

Really enjoying the automation for Alien. Thank you for all your hard work!

Was wondering if a feature or two could be added?

When a player gets a panic result like this:

[PANIC] Stress 7
    NERVOUS TWITCH. Your STRESS LEVEL, and the STRESS LEVEL of all friendly PCs in SHORT range of you, increases by one.

Could Fantasy Grounds somehow automate the stress the player just gained (because of that roll) to automatically fill in the newly acquired yellow stress box? I understand it would have to be done manually for the other players (because Fantasy Grounds would not necessarily know the other player’s ‘range’ from the initiating player.) If possible, this would be a nice feature (even if it was a toggle on/off sort of thing.)

Additionally, the “More Panic” Rules state: “If you are suffering from a Panic effect (7+ on the Panic Roll) and are forced to make another Panic Roll, the new panic effect replaces the previous one. If the new role is lower than the previous effect, however, it is automatically adjusted to one step more severe than the previous effect.”

Is there a way Panic Rolls could be tracked and computed by Fantasy Grounds at the individual player level, so that the last sentence of the above rules text is automated within the game (i.e. – a player rolls, we see the result the dice roller spits out would be a ‘lower’ panic result, then Fantasy Grounds would automatically add extra lines of text just below that result to reflect the ‘new and adjusted’ roll results/effects that is more severe due to the “More Panic” rule. If possible, this would be great. I ask because this can be an easy rule to forget while in the midst of combat, etc.

Thank you again for your great work!

Happy Holidays.

Hi Matthew Eric Brown, glad you are enjoying the ruleset!

We have both of those in our backlog. If everything goes well with other planned work, we will add them next year.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Excellent – thank you for letting us know! Look forward to any new enhancements you have in the works.

*** Just remembered another request you may already have in the queue***

Run into this multiple times each session – the Initiative roller.

Can that be coded to more resemble a finite amount of cards, like in the physical game?

I.E. – When a player rolls initiative, their result is removed from the pool of possible numbers every player/npc after them can potentially roll? (In games, we find we are constantly rerolling that 10 sided Initiative die until we don’t all get duplicate results. Really slows things down.)

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Eric Brown View Post
    Excellent – thank you for letting us know! Look forward to any new enhancements you have in the works.

*** Just remembered another request you may already have in the queue***

Run into this multiple times each session – the Initiative roller.

Can that be coded to more resemble a finite amount of cards, like in the physical game?

I.E. – When a player rolls initiative, their result is removed from the pool of possible numbers every player/npc after them can potentially roll? (In games, we find we are constantly rerolling that 10 sided Initiative die until we don’t all get duplicate results. Really slows things down.)

Thanks again!
    This is already implemented and according to the limitation in the initiative rolling system. There must be "draw" or roll for initiative, therefore some rolling will happen until free slot is selected for PC. Check in the release notes https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassia...+Release+Notes

[Added] Initiative rolls by default no longer allow duplicate values for combatants. Switch in Options "Initiative: Allow NPCs to share initiative" allows to turn this behavior on/off for NPCs. PCs will never share initiative unless manually overridden by the Game Mother (example: ship combat to group combatants to the ship’s initiative)

Apologies,

Perhaps I did not explain myself properly.

I am not talking about the NPCs. I am talking about the players only.

I just did this test five minutes ago. (Please see image below).

Here you can see I have all Player characters who have rolled initiative.

Of them, 3 of the players rolled fives, and 2 of the players rolled nines.

This happens all the time. Now we have a situation where several of the players have to go through the process of rerolling until everyone gets a different (non-already- taken) result manually.

I am asking if instead of Fantasy Grounds saying “Initiative already taken. Please reroll.”, that in fact Fantasy Grounds would automate this process and do the reroll for the players behind the scenes until a usable number is actually displayed. (Or like I mentioned, have the initiative number generator remove each player’s result from the pool of possible results as they roll, thus making duplicates impossible.)

That way, we would not get 3 players with fives, and 2 players with nines – thus causing constant rerolls for the initiative phase.

If there is an option for this already I do not have toggled on, then my apologies. Can you please advise how I can navigate to it?

Thank you again for your efforts and understanding!

Init Example 1.jpg

EDIT: Didn't realize how small the text would look in that photo - here is an enlarged version. Thanks

Init Example 1b.jpg
    Last edited by Matthew Eric Brown; December 27th, 2021 at 02:39.

OK, I understand what you mean - the situation where there are duplicate initiatives rolled by PCs and they have to re-roll. There are two approaches that I recommend here:
    1. PCs roll first initiates, then NPCs. This will reduce the re-rolls, but not eliminate them.
    2. Use the Combat Tracker's Initiative Menu and roll for PCs on their behalf, this way rolls will be automated.

From technical perspective, simulating a card deck requires completely new implementation, which is not feasible with just 10 cards that are easily simulated by 1d10. Also, I know groups that share initiative values for large combats, therefore we need to address this situation as well. Automation should not be limiting factor from my perspective.

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yep, duplicate initiative rolls by the players are pretty common. It would be great if Fantasy Grounds could automate a fix.

Currently, my Alien game group is doing as your first suggestion (have PCs roll first, then NPCs.). But this is still cumbersome, and rerolls happen multiple times per session.

As for your second alternative, that is exactly what I did to get that example with the 3 fives and 2 nines. As a Game Mother, I populated a test game with Alien pregenerated player characters. Then I went to the menu at the top of the combat tracker, and did: menu>initiative>roll all initiatives. And it gave me that result in the screen shot with all the duplicates. So I don’t believe this option is a fix.

Based on what you have mentioned, it seems one of the following might be the easiest to implement as a fix (but I am not a programmer, so who knows…?!)

1. Fantasy Grounds clearly recognizes when a duplicate occurs (because of the message “Initiative already taken. Please reroll.) Instead of this message, just code the system to automatically reroll for the player(s) and display the new “usable” number and then insert this into the combat tracker per normal. It feels like the computer should really be doing the work on this one. Why tell me to reroll, when Fantasy Grounds can be programed to do so for me when this situation arises?

2. Though not exactly in line with the official D10 rules, just make the initiative roll use a D100 instead. This way it will be pretty rare for players (or NPCs!) to roll a duplicate. And I think the slight deviation from the official rules will be accepted by the player-base to help streamline the initiative phase. (Well, I would welcome it anyway…)

Thanks again for all your help. Alien on Fantasy Grounds is good times!
    Last edited by Matthew Eric Brown; December 27th, 2021 at 19:29.

The thing with modifying core mechanics like that is that some people like it as default, others not... So trying to have something that could suit majority of the people. Haven't had such drastic situations with duplicate initiative and auto-rerolls if you use the CT is quite OK. We will think if we have time some way to optimize the process, but we have some other priorities put forth by Free League.

The Individual Marine Pack increases carrying capacity by 2. Please either:

1. automate the increase in carrying capacity
    2. allow the player to manually increase the carrying capacity
    3. turn off the warning messages that appear in the chat when a character is using this item but is carrying more than STRENGTH x2

Thanks!

Thread Information