DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: I broke it...

I broke it...

Hi guys!

So, I have been trying to create an extension for WEEKS now, and while doing so I have been altering ONE script within the corerpg.pak ruleset file: the script responsible for story templates. It is the only one I have touched. I saved an original copy of the corerpg.pak file before I began, and as my games have come and gone I have swapped back in the original file with no issues... until today.

Now, no matter what I do, story template reference links (ie: <Tablename> type links referencing the results of previously rolled tables) are not working, even with the original file back in.
    Even after deleting corerpg.pak and having an update replace it.
    Even after using the FG updater Troubleshoot tab to force an update and redownload EVERYTHING.

I have a HUGE campaign, and I dont want to lose any data from it, but I need to get my story templates working again... what should I do!?

Make sure to remove any subfolders from your FG rulesets or extensions folders; so that the folders are not overriding the built-in files.

Regards,
    JPG

What are the odds: someone JUST today messaged me saying my content generator was broken. He attached a picture to the forum post (post #59 I think at the link below) and it’s EXACTLY the issue I am having.

I am thinking the latest update broke story templates?

Check out his picture on post 59 here:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...187#post552187

How can I recreate this in the default CoreRPG ruleset? Do you have an example story template and table set that isn't working? Maybe a sample module with just those items exported?

Thanks,
    JPG

I’ve made this a little bit confusing, and for that I apologize. While the file I have been working with for story templates is inside the corerpg.pak, I am running 5e when the issue occurs. So to recreate:

Hop into a 5e campaign. Create a test table. Create a test story template containing a link to that table using the [square brackets], as well as a reference to the table link using the <greater than/less than> brackets. Hit generate.

The 5E ruleset is layered on top of the CoreRPG ruleset; and all the story template generation code is in the CoreRPG ruleset. If you have overriden the version in CoreRPG, then it will apply to 5E as well.

Regards,
    JPG

Yes, I understand that, which is why I really only mentioned corerpg to begin with.

What made me think this isn’t actually related to me monkeying with the corerpg.pak though, is that even after completely replacing all files back to stock I still have the issue, and now there is a report that someone else is having the exact same issue and they have not monkeyed with theirs at all.

So I was thinking at the beginning “oh no my monkeying has broke something I can’t now repair!” But upon hearing the report from a stranger with the exact same issue, I don’t think my monkeying has anything to do with it.

Especially since I’m back to 100% stock FGU, and it’s still busted.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    How can I recreate this in the default CoreRPG ruleset? Do you have an example story template and table set that isn't working? Maybe a sample module with just those items exported?

Thanks,
    JPG
    Hey John,
    I'm sorry - I don't think the situation is clear.
    I'm the person who found the issue and posted in Jimsocks's forum thread recently.

I made sure to test this with none of my extensions loaded when initially encountering this as I first assumed it might be a conflict(since I have a lot of extensions) and so after encountering this in one campaign, opened just Jimsocks's module in a different campaign and encountered the issue still - so no extension changing any code was present.

When I used Jimsocks' story template the <> tags did not appear to work anymore in that the names that were pulled for the story within the [ ] bracket'd categories were not being pulled into the < > tagged categories. The picture showing this is in the linked thread he provided but I added it here again for ease.

The ruleset being used was 5e.

If you would like I can re-test this with Jimsocks' corerpg version that is not 5e.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fantasy Grounds D&D Adventurers League Consultant
    Organizer, DungeonMaster , and TTRPG Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by JimSocks View Post
    Yes, I understand that, which is why I really only mentioned corerpg to begin with.

What made me think this isn’t actually related to me monkeying with the corerpg.pak though, is that even after completely replacing all files back to stock I still have the issue, and now there is a report that someone else is having the exact same issue and they have not monkeyed with theirs at all.

So I was thinking at the beginning “oh no my monkeying has broke something I can’t now repair!” But upon hearing the report from a stranger with the exact same issue, I don’t think my monkeying has anything to do with it.

Especially since I’m back to 100% stock FGU, and it’s still busted.
    EDIT: Ah, viviolay now ninja'd me, so, disregard me

I think the best would be when you just upload a test module where one can simply generate this problem with some template Because your thread is a bit confusing to read since you started that thread with some extension I am also unsure about where and what bug you are speaking about (Or give precise steps to reproduce it When I understand it correctly the <>-brackets do not work anymore?)

Quote Originally Posted by viviolay View Post
    Hey John,
    I'm sorry - I don't think the situation is clear.
    I'm the person who found the issue and posted in Jimsocks's forum thread recently.

I made sure to test this with none of my extensions loaded when initially encountering this as I first assumed it might be a conflict(since I have a lot of extensions) and so after encountering this in one campaign, opened just Jimsocks's module in a different campaign and encountered the issue still - so no extension changing any code was present.

When I used Jimsocks' story template the <> tags did not appear to work anymore in that the names that were pulled for the story within the [ ] bracket'd categories were not being pulled into the < > tagged categories. The picture showing this is in the linked thread he provided but I added it here again for ease.

The ruleset being used was 5e.

If you would like I can re-test this with Jimsocks' corerpg version that is not 5e.
    Oki, it is long ago that I did anything with tables, but the <>-brackets actually refer to some result of the corresponding roll on a table, isn't it? In order that this works it is important that there are actually results generated by square brackets ( [] these) . Nowhere in the screenshot I can see that these were used (or I confuse both type of brackets, or I do not see their call in the screenshot)

Thread Information