5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Adding Encounter to Map LIVE! Error - the players can see me placing tokens

When I am adding a random encounter to a map, even when LOS and Mask are hiding the area the tokens are being dropped, the players can see the tokens appearing on the map and know there is an encounter approaching. Kinda kills the emmersion or surprise when they know its coming.

Blog Entries
    Yep, this has always been the behavior. The only work around I know is to either place the token instances on teh encounter object when no players are connected, or don't place the token instances from the encounter, instead add them to the CT (verify they are hidden) and then add to the map.

Might be worth adding to the Wish List, that token instances added to a map from directly from an encounter (i.e. during encounter definiiton) are not visible to clients.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I do what LordEntrails suggested. I make/generate the encounter, click the Add to Combat Tracker button, and then drag them from the CT to the map. They're not visible, by default, when added to the CT from the encounter.
    --
    I'm so bassic

I think there is some clarification needed: You mean the placement of tokens is shown when dragged from the encounter window (for planning their placement), or do you mean that when you add the encounter to the CT (with that arrow button), that then the tokens on the map are visible although they should be invisible per default? When it is the former, then, as the others said, just do not do it; the placement from the encounter window is not needed when you do it ingame. Just drag&drop them from the CT then

Blog Entries
    I think that what is meant is when you do this;
    Create encounter, add NPCs to encounter, drag token instance (from row below entry) to map for "pre-placement"

When you do that tokens pre-placement during game time (if the map is visible to players) they will see where you are placing them. If you then close the encounter they go away, or if you add to CT then they become hidden. But by that time the players have already seen where the tokens are going to be.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Man I wish we could just put the NPCs on the map without having them as an entry in the CT... One of my wosrt gripes with FG.
    "You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head... And yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." - Dwalin Fundinson

Ultimate License holder, translation enthusiast and programmer in the making!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterJena View Post
    Man I wish we could just put the NPCs on the map without having them as an entry in the CT... One of my wosrt gripes with FG.
    I understand the issue. But, assuming you still want the automation related to attacking tokens, you somehow need to link it to some data entry which can be changed (like HP), because you do not want that the data linked to the library gets changed (like it happens in Roll20; suddenly all orcs got the same damage in Roll20 because they were all linked to the same library entry (they may have solved that maybe already, too long ago; the only way to solve it back then was to create copies of that NPC in the library, cluttering up the library. Or to avoid that automation) FG solves this by making a copy of the NPC when it is added to the CT first)

Though it is surely possible to solve this somehow; like linking tokens to the library when added from there to the map. Then, with a right-click on the token for example, one can add it to the CT when combat automation is needed, which creates then a copy of that NPC and relinks the token to the CT entry instead Or one creates a second CT as a garage, where you store all NPCs which you first just want to show on the map but not in the main CT; one can then drag&drop it to the main CT when needed

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I understand the issue. But, assuming you still want the automation related to attacking tokens, you somehow need to link it to some data entry which can be changed (like HP), because you do not want that the data linked to the library gets changed (like it happens in Roll20; suddenly all orcs got the same damage in Roll20 because they were all linked to the same library entry (they may have solved that maybe already, too long ago; the only way to solve it back then was to create copies of that NPC in the library, cluttering up the library. Or to avoid that automation) FG solves this by making a copy of the NPC when it is added to the CT first)

Though it is surely possible to solve this somehow; like linking tokens to the library when added from there to the map. Then, with a right-click on the token for example, one can add it to the CT when combat automation is needed, which creates then a copy of that NPC and relinks the token to the CT entry instead Or one creates a second CT as a garage, where you store all NPCs which you first just want to show on the map but not in the main CT; one can then drag&drop it to the main CT when needed
    I'm more interested in PCs and unique NPCs.

- PCs on the map without needing to be on the CT. For non-combat situations.
    - Unique NPCs on the map without needing to be in the CT. For non-combat situations so i can just double click their tokens and have a look at their statblock.
    - If combat is imminent maybe just select who's going to participate and send them to the combat tracker.

That would help to have certain non-combat NPCs always on certain maps without having to add/remove them every time they join/leave the party.
    "You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head... And yet you are lesser now than you have ever been." - Dwalin Fundinson

Ultimate License holder, translation enthusiast and programmer in the making!

- Unique NPCs on the map without needing to be in the CT. For non-combat situations so i can just double click their tokens and have a look at their statblock.
    - If combat is imminent maybe just select who's going to participate and send them to the combat tracker.

That would help to have certain non-combat NPCs always on certain maps without having to add/remove them every time they join/leave the party.
    Yeah, this click on token to send them to the CT sounds certainly as a nice idea

Blog Entries

As I think you know, the link between tokens and stat blocks is only bi-directional when added to a map from the CT. I believe their have been a couple of community developers that have tried to write extensions to change this, but I don't think any have been successful (though I do not keep on top of every available extension).

Add the idea to the wish list so the idea doesn't get forgotten.

Thread Information