Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Client Copy of a map is not updating.

Having issues with this sequence:

1. Import a new map, host and client display is OK.

2. Edit the source Dundjinni map to add a few new features. I use Dundjinni to export the revised map PNG directly to the FGU images folder.

3. The map dimensions have not changed.

4. Use FGU to open and display the map. All is well, the map now shows the the changes.

5. But, when the map is shared to a client it persists in displaying the old map with none of my changes included.

6. Where the heck is the client getting the old version of the map from and how do I get rid of it?

7. Same behavior on LAN and Server operation.

8. In my case both the host and the client instances are on the same PC.

9. Is it illegal to edit a map in place in the FGU image folder. This was never and issue in FG classic

Blog Entries
    Client has a cache. Each player will need to clear their cache in order to get the new image. FGC cache is cleared with nuke button on launch screen. FGU cache is cleared in the settings window.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

When the client is starting, it goes through "Acquiring File List". Are you saying that it is being selective about which images to acquire from the Host? I would have thought that in the case of a total client restart, hours or maybe days later, the client should not be making assumptions about the host images it needs based on the now "dirty" cache.

Note that is my case, the host and client instances are on the same physical system. The client window gets moved on the Windows extended desktop to display on an attached LCD TV.

Yes, the FG is selective about what is redownloadedto the player cache. This is done to minimize the amount of data downloaded when a player connects to the GM.

With the player instance connected, try un-sharing the map on the GM side and then re-sharing. This should send the most recent image to the player instance.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry, no dice.....

Seems that the client is quite determined to ignore the host file list based on what it "knows" is in its cache. No amount of sharing/unsharing will change its mind, it has it's copy and resists all attempts to get it a new copy even after a client restart.

Whilst I see the logic of trying to minimize the amount of data being downloaded by the client, this implementation goes against all the IT Client/Server data integrity rules I learned, i.e. The client startup cannot assume its data is valid based on its own cache perspective or it will run into potential data inaccuracy issues of this type.

Suggestions:

1. Make the unshare/share operation really force the image reload to the client.

2. Or, provide an "always everything" option (check box) in the client for the file acquisition process.

3. Or, provide a global configuration option to select forced all or partial per cache for the acquisition process.

Just my 10c.......

Blog Entries
    Have you tried clearing the cache?

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Where is that feature invoked? The Settings button in the Client will not function while another FGU instance is active on the same system.

The folder icon in the launch screen does not respond to mouse clicks.
    Last edited by Bolstaf; October 25th, 2020 at 22:08.

Blog Entries
    Makes sense the settings option won't work while other instances are running.
    Exit all player instances, go to the FG Data folder (folder icon on launch screen).
    Click the folder icon (top left corner).
    Open the cache folder.
    Delete the folder that corresponds to the campaign name (or just delete the campaign.dat file inside that folder).

Well now, that worked.....

Once I worked out that clicking on the folder icon did nothing more than open up a windows explorer window where the delete could be performed.

And that fixed the problem, client instances now see the revised map, yippee.....

Problem solved, one more happy user, thank you for your hep, much appreciated.

Great product guys, keep up the good work!

Blog Entries
    I wouldnt make a regular habit of doing this - clearing and redownloading the cache all the time will add time/delay to your sessions...

Thread Information