Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

How to make a tracker / table

Hey guys & gals,
    I'm trying to get used to FGU and learn how to use it, but I've ran into a wall I'm trying to climb. In pathfinder there was an adventure path that used "Trust Points" to track how the party has done with dealing with the locals. So in essence, I want to make a tracker that I can add points to or subtract points from. Is this something that can be done? Any direction would help! I had hoped to use a table for it, but looks like they're just rollable tables and not really for tracking overall spammer
    Last edited by damned; April 4th, 2021 at 14:27.

Blog Entries
    The "Table" object list is for roll-able tables, as you discovered. But, in a story you can make a story table, which is then editable all you want, it's just text formatted in table rows/columns/cells. You can also track things like this on the Party Inventory. You could simply make an item and then change the quantity of the items to track your points. Depends on if you want your players to be able to easily be able to see it and what you prefer.

There are also extension that other capabilities that may help with this too. Such as Player Agency.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Or you could just do an image with a track and move a token around, or use numbered tokens on an image and just change the numbers. Depends on how high the trust number range is.

Quote Originally Posted by Challa4 View Post
    Hey guys & gals,
    I'm trying to get used to FGU and learn how to use it, but I've ran into a wall I'm trying to climb. In pathfinder there was an adventure path that used "Trust Points" to track how the party has done with dealing with the locals. So in essence, I want to make a tracker that I can add points to or subtract points from. Is this something that can be done? Any direction would help! I had hoped to use a table for it, but looks like they're just rollable tables and not really for tracking overall.
    Depends on what you are imaging here.
    If you just want a way to track this in FG, any note or story entry can be used for you to make notes in for keeping track of whatever.

But if you were imaging FG parsing the tracked point total into how event or character states are out in the future, i do not belvei FG has any kind of built in function to help automate that stuff
    it would just be you the GM manually tracking it, and then you the GM manually modifying an encounter or how you RP the NPC in relation to the point total.

Anything doing more of the workload would be a user made extension is any such exists for historical event tracking for determining the state of an event or character when the players get to it. As it seems you are describing here anyway.

My suggestion: Use a Parcel.

You can change the coin types to be what your commonly track (Trust Points). Or create an Item on the right side in the same way. This way you can add and subtract small amounts using CTRL-Mousewheel. You can use the modifier for large changes and have it do the math for you.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

While i have not yet GM'd with FG i am currently deep into the study and practice of it. I do not want to be the gm that has long stretches of down time in a session while i figure out the technicals.

At this time i do believe i am probably going to keep a spread sheet open for tracking certain types of data that need to inform how i RP an NPC or what the initial state of an encounter is when the PCs get to it.

As i have been finding that FG already needs a lot of screen real estate for the maps, combat tracker, and other various actual functional GM tools.

So as FG does not have a built in way to do if/then encounter states based on the PCs' historical event aggregate data. I do believe that keeping some forms of data tracking notes for myself is just goign to be easier to do and keep organized, as my own notes outside of FG.

For the more complicated stuff i'll probably make the same encounter for each possible state, and then use my notes to know which version to load for the encounter when the players get to it.

Personal note: i tend to avoid extensions/add-ons in any software like the plague. I generally find i get a better return/effort ratio for my time and effort, to figure out working with what i got, more than trying to make what i got be what i wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by A Social Yeti View Post
    For the more complicated stuff i'll probably make the same encounter for each possible state, and then use my notes to know which version to load for the encounter when the players get to it.
    I just remembered a website that you might like that is designed to help with world building and note taking! It's aimed at GM's, authors, etc.
    https://www.notebook.ai/

Yeah, I've been noticing some are slipping through by using "keywords" probably taken off the site. The real issue is that some are very close to people whom English is not their first language

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    sorry guys you were wasting your time with a spammer
    Just curious, but how can you tell?

If the OP is a spammer then Fantasy Grounds gets a much better class of spam than most, that was actually an interesting question with some helpful answers I can make use of.
    Alea iacta est

Thread Information