5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGC Issues with Campaign Opened by FGU

I just upgraded my FGC Ultimate license to FGU Ultimate - current versions for both are v.3.3.11 and v4.0.0. I'm using the Steam edition and while I assigned a new install folder for the Unity edition, I set the FGU data folder to my existing FGC location; "..\Users\accountname\Fantasy Grounds\". I opened one of my existing campaigns and experimented a bit with the new image tools and reassigned a mask to an existing map image as I noticed the previously assigned mask was no longer present. The next time I attempted to open the same campaign with FGC I received an info dialog about needing to Perform File Maintenance in regards to the player caches. Which seemed a bit odd, as I was loading a campaign not connecting to one as a user. I clicked [Yes] on that dialog and it the maintenance op completed much quicker than what that dialog suggested it would.

Anyhow... when I attempted to open that same campaign with FGC Ultimate, it hung. I rebooted, but still got the same result every time - FGC just get's listed as not responding by task manager. I of course did back up my data folder before installing FGU and once I restored that backup FGC opens up that campaign fine. I was under the impression (swear I read it here somewhere) that FGC and FGU can share and work from the same data location. That certainly wasn't the case for me though.

So I have to ask for clarification - are FGC and FGU supposed to be able to use the same data location?

Blog Entries
    Yea, don't do any of that.
    DO NOT Install FGU in FGC's application folder.
    DO NOT use the same data directory for FGU and FGC.

Once a campaign is opened by FGU it can not be opened by FGC. There are data changes that FGU makes, campaigns are not backwards compatible, only forward.

I would start by making a full backup of all your FG data. Uninstall both FGC and FGU. Then install them properly, either using the default locations or using unique locations. Then work on restoring and recovering your data.

You should have some backups that you might be able to use to recover/restore your campaign to use with FGC, but the longer you wait to do the above, the less likely this is.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Y
    I would start by making a full backup of all your FG data. Uninstall both FGC and FGU. Then install them properly, either using the default locations or using unique locations. Then work on restoring and recovering your data.
    Thanks for the reply.

Sort of been-there-done-that already with that. What I did was create a new, 2nd data location of "...\Users\accountname\Fantasy Ground Unity\" and then copied the contents of my backed up FGC data folder into it. I then started FGU Ultimate, accessed "Settings" > [Advanced] and clicked the "Data Directory" folder button and browsed to that new, 2nd data location. I have campaigns to run this weekend and didn't plan on making the cut over to next week. So I figured that when my players and I are ready to migrate, I'd just copy the contents of my FGC data folder to the new FGU data folder.
    Last edited by kronovan; October 22nd, 2020 at 20:56.

So you should just copy over your campaign folder. Also start checking. Some older ext might work but others have updates that are Unity only. You would not want the Classic and Unity extensions both installed.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

Quote Originally Posted by Granamere View Post
    ...Also start checking. Some older ext might work but others have updates that are Unity only. You would not want the Classic and Unity extensions both installed.
    Thanks for the info. Other than a few extensions I coded myself, I don't have many. I do however have a good number of custom modules I've created with the 5e, Savage Worlds and 13th Age rulesets. I'm hoping those can all migrate successfully.

Blog Entries
    The modules should all be good if made through the GUI. If you hand coded them, then you might have issues. The most comments in the xml. FGU has a stricter parser and may throw errors. But a Find/Replace should resolve them easily.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

What the HECK

I installed FGU to try it out and loaded up my ongoing campaign, and it loaded up fine but decided I'd not switch over any time soon

Now I can't load it in FGC and nothing anywhere indicated this was going to be the result of me trying the new software????

edit

recovered.
    and fgu is uninstalled
    Last edited by darkling; October 25th, 2020 at 16:16.

Darkling.

Sorry this caught you un aware. FGU uses a newer version of the XML than Classic does. When you put your classics campaign in the Unity directory it will upgrade it to Unity and then it is not usable in Classic. It is a one way upgrade.

When / If you install Unity again pretty please do not use any of the same directories as classic. They need to be in different install paths for all directories.

This might be an idea to the devs that a warning box when doing the conversion in Unity, it might be worth stating it is about to upgrade the campaign an it would not be useable in classic. Like the windows "Are you sure you want to delete this?"
    Just a thought.
    If you want a Wishlist in the Fantasy grounds store klick the link and upvote it.
    https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135468

All good, just spooked the heck out of me. FGU seems pretty solid but just not ready to do any changes.

A warning would be nice. hah

By default, FGC and FGU install to different directories by design. You should not point both products at the same directory, when installing.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information