5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1st time FGU & no LoS on RotRL

Hi all,

This may be a FGU Noob issue, but my group finally converted over to FGU tonight. I was all excited to show them the LoS feature. We are running Rise of the Runelords, Anniv Ed. The LoS looked great on my end, but they only saw a black screen with their tokens on it. I've got the Ultimate lic. Is there a new button I need to push or something? Needless to say our session was cut short.

Blog Entries
    Did you place their PC tokens on the map from the Combat Tracker? PC and NPC tokens should only be added to a map from teh CT, never from anywhere else or among other things, LOS will not work.

If that doesn't solve the issue, screenshots will help us help you

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Good Day Ithix
    We had an issue the other night where, somehow, the map we were on got masked and our DM did not know how to clear it. He said it did not show being masked on his side. The final fix was for him to Revert Changes to the map. To do this, open the Images and Maps window, find the map, right click, find the Revert Changes on the radial menu and click that. The DM had to place all the token back on the map from the Combat Tracker, but it fixed the problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Revert Changes", I may be missing it on the radial. I tried it again today with a different group & a different computer & repeated the bug. I did reload the map & placed the tokens again, but nothing changed. I even played around with the options when you unlock the map & nothing worked. If you can get me more info on the "Revert Changes" option, I'd appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    You can test from a second instance of FGU joined to localhost. Turn on LOS, drag the PC token to the map and then have them click on their token to select it. If a player is running multiple PCs, they can alternate between the vision for each by selecting their token they want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ithix View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Revert Changes", I may be missing it on the radial. I tried it again today with a different group & a different computer & repeated the bug. I did reload the map & placed the tokens again, but nothing changed. I even played around with the options when you unlock the map & nothing worked. If you can get me more info on the "Revert Changes" option, I'd appreciate it.
    Go to the library, then press the modules button; when you right-click there, then there should be some button with two crossed arrows

Make sure, as already mentioned, that there is no global mask (FoW, not the LoS), and that the players click on their token (otherwise the vision will not yet be calculated ) as Doug mentioned (the localhost might indeed be the best, then you can test it on your own and tell your players what they need to do for the vision; it is probably just some missing/wrong click )

Thanks, Kelrugem for the clarification, & all who gave input. I hadn't thought to go back to the module in the Library, but that seemed to do the trick. As someone who used to do Q.A. for the games industry, I would suggest making it part of the radial menu. Better yet to find a way this doesn't happen. IDK how the LoS works, but I'm guessing you send the whole map, data points (fences) and all to the client systems rather than having the Host render and send. I'm using the cloud system rather than hosting off my server so it could be streaming from yours. If a GM had to refresh a map every time there was a client error in an MMORPG, things would be rough.

Quote Originally Posted by ithix View Post
    Thanks, Kelrugem for the clarification, & all who gave input. I hadn't thought to go back to the module in the Library, but that seemed to do the trick. As someone who used to do Q.A. for the games industry, I would suggest making it part of the radial menu. Better yet to find a way this doesn't happen. IDK how the LoS works, but I'm guessing you send the whole map, data points (fences) and all to the client systems rather than having the Host render and send. I'm using the cloud system rather than hosting off my server so it could be streaming from yours. If a GM had to refresh a map every time there was a client error in an MMORPG, things would be rough.
    Ah, no worries This is what happened here (when I recall this thread correctly): You bought a module and after the purchase there was an update with the LoS data. But a new update won't immediately update in already existing campaigns. Why? Because you may have edited the module's data, and, thence, the update is not immediately applied to avoid overwriting your own edits Next to all entries from a module (in the sidebar) is a book, when there is also a pen over that book then you have edited it somewhen (unlocking can already cause something like this, I think). Such entries with pen&book () won't immediately update for the mentioned reason. Then you can either right-click on these entries or on the whole module in the library to revert changes That will then apply the update (but also erasing your changes) So, there is a good reason for this But no worries, this does not happen so often You can keep an eye on the city halls here in the forums to see whether there are changes of your modules which you may want, too

Blog Entries
    Note, the cloud option only brokers the connection, it does not actually host the game from a cloud server. i.e. your computer still hosts it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

And, as an aside, the "cloud" connection is not FG hosting your data in the cloud - it's purely a cloud connection facilitation service to make everyone connecting to the GM easier. You still run and host all of your data locally on your computer.

EDIT: I'm too slow today...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information