STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Heavy Armor Master AND Barbarian Rage

The wiki shows the effects for:
    • Heavy Armor Master (RESIST: 3 slashing,bludgeoning,piercing,!magic)
    • Barbarian Rage (...;RESIST:bludgeoning,slashing,piercing)

But if you have both, they don't combine correctly. It only applies the rage (damage / 2), not HAM-then-rage ((damage-3) / 2).

Is there a way to encode these to combine properly? Sorry if this has already been answered; searching just turns up all threads from 2015 when support for (RESIST: N) was added.

Edited: Just to be clear, I'm interested in combining HAM with any damage resistance that affects slashing/piercing/bludgeoning.
    Last edited by Hylomorph; October 14th, 2020 at 19:57.

Blog Entries
    RAW they should not stack. The Barbarian Rage feature says this;
    While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren't wearing heavy armor:
    If you want to houserule it, not sure how to make it work.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

That's absolutely true. I picked Rage just as an example of Damage Resistance, but it wasn't a good one! But, I still want to combine HAM with, for example the Hill Rune from Rune Knight, or Fiendish Resistance (Slashing), etc.

As LE says resistances don't stack. So no matter how many RESIST: slashing you have on you you only half the damage - not a quarter or any other fraction. So the effects are working as intended. If you want to change that then you'll need to do it manually
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It is 100% true that damage resistances don't stack. However, Heavy Armor Master is not damage resistance! We just use the FG RESIST code to encode it, but it's not actually "damage resistance" in the rules. So, it does combine with damage resistance; see this sage advice, for example.

It's not going to automate that I'm afraid. You could replace the RESIST: 3, slashing etc on the Armour thing with RESIST: 3, all and it will then work with a general RESIST: slashing. But that's going to give you other issues with other types of damage. You'd have to suspend the effect any time the character was about to take some damage type not covered by the feat. The other alternative is for the DM to apply a -3 modifier into the modifier box prior to rolling slashing, piercing etc damage. Or leave the general RESIST on and then adjust the 3 points after the fact by healing the character for 3 damage. Again that's problematic.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Dang. I thought that might be the case, but I was hoping I had missed something. LE and Zac, thanks for taking a look and making suggestions.

In the unlikely event that someone else wants this, here's an extension I slapped together. Instead of using RESIST, you can encode Heavy Armor Master as
    Code:
    REDUCE: 3 slashing,bludgeoning,piercing,!magic
    and it will reduce 3 damage of the correct types as usual, as well as halving the reduced damage with applicable RESISTs.

This extension is barely tested, fragile, and should probably never be used by anyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Hylomorph View Post
    This extension is barely tested, fragile, and should probably never be used by anyone.
    lol. Here have this, but I don't recommend it. Reminds me of Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka.

I have the player slap on temp hp as needed. Little fiddly but it works. This looks better. Thank you!

Not as unlikely as you might think, I've been pining for this exact thing too. Quite a happy coincidence someone put something together for this problem just a few weeks ago!
    Many thanks.

Thread Information