DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Memory (?) And Image Issue

I am hosting a Harnmaster game (using corerpg) with a stable, highspeed connection and graphics capabilites (as well as RAM) that far exceed FGU's requirements. However, I have noticed issues with the character sheets after a few hours of play. Sections of data on the Main tab start to disappear from view. If the player hits the edit list button a couple times (essentially redrawing the data) they can see the data again. Also, the CS will start dumping random text in the chat when the player makes a roll off the CS. I imagine this is a memory or cache problem. Is there a fix? Is the issue something I am doing on my end?

I'm pretty this one is on my end, just looking for some clarification on the cause. Often, I will share an image with my players and all they get is an image with a big red X on it. I imagine I am messing up the process of moving images from the assets box to my in game images. But some clarification on what would cause the system to return a big red X when sharing an image would be helpful.

Thanks!

General questions:
    * Are you running any extensions to CoreRPG?

Specific questions:
    * I haven't seen this before; but I'm not regularly running games for several hours at a time. Is the disappearing data happening on the GM as well?
    * The big red X is separate, and is an indicator that the client was not able to load the asset specified for some reason. When moving assets from the Assets box to the Images list, are they always from the Images section of the Assets window? Where are the assets located? (FG main data directory in the images folder, FG campaign data directory in the images folder, ...)
    * Do the missing assets for images only happen after several hours, or does it happen right away?
    * Do you have an example of an affected image?

Thanks,
    JPG

Gen 1: I have a bunch of theme and PF2E extensions, as well as the Audioseer extensions in my Extensions folder. For my Harn (CoreRPG) campaign, I only load Audiseer and this theme: Theme_5E_Hearth_v1.2_SirMottesMagnificentDarkness. ext I haven't noticed any issues with buttonology so I have continued to use it in CoreRPG, but won't next few sessions and see if I notice a difference in performance.

Spec 1: Yes, the data disappears when I view/manipulate the data as well. For example, if I enter something into the modifier box next to a skill on a player's CS, the section will disappear. Again this only happens after having the game running for a couple+ hours.
    Spec 2: I now realize I have been using a mix of the two, some images in the main images folder, others in the specific campaign images folder. Is there a preference for one over the other? Does the client not download the images (or have access) to the ones in the main images folder?
    Spec 3: It was throughout the session and happened even after I right clicked on an image on my FG desktop and shared it.
    Spec 4: Some players could not load this image:Armor Table.png It is in the campaign images folder.
    Last edited by greybeardgunner70; October 13th, 2020 at 23:40.

Just on the issue of image size. I read somewhere that FG can only share images of less than 1mb in size. And i certainly have noticed this in the past with my images. Has this been increased over the last few updates? What is the largest recommended size of images to be shared? Thanks.

Yes, that could be my issue as well. I knew there was a recommended size, but wasn't aware it was hard coded.

That is not hard-coded, just an advice due to (possible) limitations of your bandwidth and networking (especially parental control, flood protection and so one, or simply bad internet) And in FGC there was also the problem that it was 32 bit such that the RAM usage got quickly a problem with too big images, and this advice is especially from FGC times (Though RAM is of course still limited by your system itself, and used and shared images still load into RAM)

So, it is a guideline, not hard-coded
    Last edited by Kelrugem; October 14th, 2020 at 01:59.

There's no hard limit; though we have thought about adding one to prevent outrageously sized maps from causing issues. The reality is that larger images affect performance and network transfer times; so plan accordingly. For FGC, any images over 2Kx2K suffer greater performance loss; and images over 4Kx4K can cause crash conditions. FGU uses a completely different engine that can handle larger images more safely, but can still be performance impacted. (Our recommended size limits for images in official material is 2Kx2K and 1MB, when possible.)

The location of the files shouldn't matter; but I'm asking in order to try and figure out the issue.
    * Are newly shared images missing for players right away (after a cache folder delete); or only after a couple+ hours like the other issue?

Thanks,
    JPG

Its right away. I have a game tonight (with PF2 ruleset) and have started putting my images in using the wiki suggested import function (vs drag and drop or copy/paste). We'll see if I have any issues. Might be able to narrow it down to CoreRPG.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to preshare the images as well. That way the players will download them when they join rather than the image being shared all at once during the game.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If the players have deleted the cache folder, and the resources are still missing when they log in after that; then I would like to get a copy of your campaign folder zipped up.

Thanks,
    JPG

Thread Information