DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Once we start down that route, people will want to implement the pythagorean theorem to calculate the actual distance between two tokens that aren't next to one another and also at different elevations. I'm a lazy GM as well and I'm not looking forward to having to specify elevation at various points on a battlemap as part of encounter prep just so the calculations are correct. I would hope and assume that the default is no difference in elevation if none is specified so I can safely ignore this feature. I'd just as soon not get to that level of simulationism and just tell the player to take a ad hoc positive modifier to the shot if the elevation provides enough of advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mac40k View Post
    Once we start down that route, people will want to implement the pythagorean theorem to calculate the actual distance between two tokens that aren't next to one another and also at different elevations. I'm a lazy GM as well and I'm not looking forward to having to specify elevation at various points on a battlemap as part of encounter prep just so the calculations are correct. I would hope and assume that the default is no difference in elevation if none is specified so I can safely ignore this feature. I'd just as soon not get to that level of simulationism and just tell the player to take a ad hoc positive modifier to the shot if the elevation provides enough of advantage.
    I do not think it needs to be something with the map itself. More that you can just indicate elevation on the token. That way if token A has +1 for elevation and Token B has -1 (say from a map that has 3 tiers as an example, or 0, +1, +2 - whatever works) and the tool is doing the math based on that those simple elevation indicators.

Personally, I would rule an elevated shot could have a positive and/or a negative modifier to hit depending on the angle and height. The target has a smaller 'hitbox' the steeper the angle gets. The benefit for height is a shot with less obstruction. So they might just rule each other out.

Being a lazy GM as well, I like the idea of height not really changing the distance. So I would just move the target token one or two squares away or manually modify the info for the target in the combat tracker, which ever seems to be quicker in the moment.

Thread Information