DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Possible problem with licences

We started our first campaign in Fantasy Grounds tonight (Curse of Strahd) and immediately ran into a problem. 2 out of 3 players were unable to load the Player's Handbook and player's campaign module. There may be technical reasons for this, but the most obvious distinction between these two players and the other player - who had no problems - is that they have subscription licences and the third player, and myself, have one-off Basic licences. Given that the problem modules are the ones I've purchased myself, could there be some sort of conflict between the two licence types?

A subsidiary question; should Extensions such as Rob Twohy's Effects Coding be made available as modules to players or are they for DM use only?

Whether the license is purchased or subscribed to makes no difference. You don't say whether you are the DM or not - only the DM can share modules with the players.

You don't say whether you are using Classic or Unity and that makes a difference. I'm not sure what you mean by player's campaign module. Can you expend on what you mean by that. If the Dm owns the Rob Twohy or indeed any module it is up to them whether they share it with players or not. You say the players can't load the Player's Handbook; do you mean that they can't download it from the DM or do you mean it shows up in their module activation window but they can't load it from there?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Apologies for lack of clarity. I'm the DM, running FGU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by player's campaign module. You say the players can't load the Player's Handbook; do you mean that they can't download it from the DM or do you mean it shows up in their module activation window but they can't load it from there?
    I mean "D&D Curse of Strahd - Players" module, both it and the PH are loaded and ticked as available to players, both show in their Activation boxes but neither will load for them.

Blog Entries
    Errors? Modules might take time to download to the players. Unfortunately, FG doesn't tell you it is downloading the module so depending upon the GMs upload bandwidth and internet throughput, this can take sometimes. Should normally be less than 5 minutes though. Can the players check their cache to see if they have any files being downloaded and if they are growing in size?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Geometer View Post
    I mean "D&D Curse of Strahd - Players" module, both it and the PH are loaded and ticked as available to players, both show in their Activation boxes but neither will load for them.
    Have the players actually clicked the "load" button. The GM having the module loaded does nothing for the players, each of them still have to load it.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Errors? Modules might take time to download to the players. Unfortunately, FG doesn't tell you it is downloading the module so depending upon the GMs upload bandwidth and internet throughput, this can take sometimes. Should normally be less than 5 minutes though.
    We all logged off, restarted the campaign, one of the players logged on and loaded up, the PH and campaign modules were given a good 10 minutes each but neither loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Can the players check their cache to see if they have any files being downloaded and if they are growing in size?
    I will certainly ask them but it might not be until next weekend.

If you have one of these as your ISP that may also be a factor https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If you have one of these as your ISP that may also be a factor https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important
    None of those apply. For what it's worth, over the last few weeks I've been running a small homebrew dungeon for my players as a tutorial (we're all new to FG) and, as far as I'm aware, everyone was able to load the PH without problem, so it seems to be the addition of a published Adventure module that's causing the issue.

It may well be something to do with bandwidth - Curse of Strahd is big, and there were problems loading maps as well - so I'm going to do some tests with one of the players during the week. I'll come back here if we reach any conclusions. Thanks for your responses.

Just to be sure - you aren't sharing the actual Curse of Strahd module with your players right? Just the players version.

Just to be sure - you aren't sharing the actual Curse of Strahd module with your players right? Just the players version.
    As far as I can recall, just the player's section. I will check that though.

Thread Information