FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    What I think Moon Wizard is referring to isn’t necessarily space as in memory use but more processing time. If the db.xml is big then it can take a while for information to process, which could cause lag.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Yea, story results, table results are not heavy. Images are. You can tell if you have a lot of 'things' by opening up one of the lists, like stories, if it says "Page 1 of 10" or so, not a problem. If is says "Page 1 of 10,000" then you got issues!

Extensions change the programming of FG, and are selected before you launch the campaign. Modules contain gaming content and are loaded and unloaded via the Library window. Anything loaded from modules will not reside in your db.xml unless you have copied or modified it.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

5 Extensions: 3 Decals (CoS; SCAG; XGtE), 1 Feature (D&D Official Fonts) and 1 Theme (D&D Official)

I opened up all the "things" and Items was the only window with 1-20 pages, all others were 1-10 pages, so doesn't look like that's the issue.

I'll circle back to the other items from earlier some time this week and see where I get. My thanks!

I'd like to circle back on this. I tried FGU hoping it would be better, but it was actually more of a lag. FGC was running around 900K in Windows Task Manager, which I got to 300K, but still lag. FGU is now at 1,260K with lag. FGU is also taking 2mins 20secs to load my campaign on LAN. Much longer than the same campaign on FGC (which would be about 30 secs).

I appreciate any help. We've been using FG for 3+ years, with the Ultimate License, and backed FGU, and so really looking forward to solving this. It could be computer related - as mentioned this issue happened when I went from an older desktop to a newer laptop. Same dual monitors. The only difference is running the dual monitors through a USB-C hub connected to my laptop where the old desktop was connected directly to the monitors with no hub.

Any of the following I should be focusing on first, and confirming / eliminating that as an issue, and moving down the list?

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Yea, story results, table results are not heavy. Images are. You can tell if you have a lot of 'things' by opening up one of the lists, like stories, if it says "Page 1 of 10" or so, not a problem. If is says "Page 1 of 10,000" then you got issues!
    I opened up all the "things" and Items was the only window with 1-20 pages, all others were 1-10 pages, so doesn't look like that's the issue.

Re: Images, I backed up the campaign folder then deleted all images from the Images folder, ran FGU again, and same issue - 2+ minutes to open and 1,200K of Task Manager memory.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Extensions change the programming of FG, and are selected before you launch the campaign. Modules contain gaming content and are loaded and unloaded via the Library window. Anything loaded from modules will not reside in your db.xml unless you have copied or modified it.
    5 Extensions: 3 Decals (CoS; SCAG; XGtE), 1 Feature (D&D Official Fonts) and 1 Theme (D&D Official)

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    What I think Moon Wizard is referring to isn’t necessarily space as in memory use but more processing time. If the db.xml is big then it can take a while for information to process, which could cause lag.
    Please see a bit further below to Moon Wizard's questions on this, and my answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    1 - Does the issue occur when you don't have any monitors attached to your laptop?
    2 - Do you start FGC through Steam or from a non-Steam shortcut?
    3- Check that "Cross platform compatibility..." option on the FG setting window (accessed from the startup screen). If it is, turn if off. If it isn't, turn it on to see if it makes a difference.
    1) I'm testing this now, and so far the answer is no, but I don't have players connected - I'll try that on my next game.

2) non-Steam shortcut (I don't use Steam for FGC/U)

3) Where is this in FGU? (I found it in FGC, but hoping to switch to FGU now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    2) 3.8MB is pretty big for a db.xml file; and might be impacting. (It doesn't seem obviously too big; but much bigger than most campaigns I've seen.) Did you input a lot of data into your campaign? Are you using any extensions?
    I found an older db.session.backup file in the same campaign at 600K vs. the 3,800K, and loaded the 600K and same issue, re: Task Manager showing 1,100K of memory usage. I would have to test more with players connected. See above, re: input data & extensions.

3) Images are supposed to be loaded as needed in FGC. What is the resolution on your images? (Images over 2Kx2K will run slower; and images over 4Kx4K will cause issues)
    I deleted all the files in the images folder (I have a backup) and again, still running at 1,100K memory in Task Manager.

4) These are fairly small. All the rest of the tokens are bundled into module data packs.
    Assuming no issue then?

* Perhaps you could try adjusting your graphics card settings in your video card control panel to turn off capabilities to see if that helps? (anti-aliasing, shadows, etc.)
    I haven't done this yet. I have to find this in Win10 settings.

* How large is your campaign data file (db.xml) in your FG campaign folder?
    3.77MB - discussed above.

* How many files are in your FG campaign folder under the images subfolder? (and how big?)
    Discussed above, re: deleted all files in the images folder.

* How many files are in your FG data folder under the tokens subfolder? (and how big?)
    Discussed above.

Again my thanks for any help to solve this!

Can you zip up the campaign folder, load onto a file share service, and send that link and link to this thread to [email protected]?

Thanks,
    JPG

Can you zip up the campaign folder, load onto a file share service, and send that link and link to this thread to [email protected]?
    Done - my thanks!

UPDATE: I ran today's session from my MacBook. Similar issues, re: FGU was using 2.3G of memory and was slowing down other applications. E.g., I went to open GMail with FGU open, and GMail was very slow. I closed FGU and reopened GMail, and opened a quickly as usual. Thanks!

I took a look at the campaign you sent me today. The maps you have in your campaign are too large for FGC. The recommended resolution for maps in FGC is 2Kx2K; and anything over 4Kx4K will cause performance issues.

You have over 50 images in the campaign over that recommended size; which will cause issues when used.

Regards,
    JPG

You have over 50 images in the campaign over that recommended size; which will cause issues when used.
    Thanks Moon Wizard. I‘ll delete those images from the Image folder for the next session and see if there is a difference. Is that all I’ll need to do (delete them from the Images folder), or should I remove them another way?

Also does that mean FG preloads most / all images in the Image folder regardless of use? I haven’t open those images for a month or more as we’re running CoS right now. My thanks again!

After deleting those images, then make sure to start the campaign, so it can clean out the old image records linked to those images.

Also, since you had been using such large images; try reviewing your "tokens" subfolder in the FG data folder to see how many images are there and how big they are as well. These all get loaded with the tabletop; in order to be available at a moment's notice.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information