DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Arcanist potent magic ability

Request for help.

I'm trying to work out how to code an effect to increase the caster level or spell DC by 2 as per the Potent Magic ability. I have tried coding the effect to increase the level "LVL: 2", but it dosen't appear to impact the spell damage. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Cidak View Post
    Request for help.

I'm trying to work out how to code an effect to increase the caster level or spell DC by 2 as per the Potent Magic ability. I have tried coding the effect to increase the level "LVL: 2", but it dosen't appear to impact the spell damage. Any ideas?
    I am assuming your referring to Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus? One has to do it through the spell effects interface for each spell you wish to modify. One may also increase the CLC by adding extra levels.

Are you doing this for a PC or NPC?

For an NPC I would use CreatureGen parser to parse the spells.

3rd--blink, fireball (DC 27), Lightning bolt (DC 27), Suggestion (DC 25)
    p.s. Can't make a screen shot at work.

These are the modules and extensions created and/or taken over by dellanx for PFRPG.

I had a lot of help and advice from many here at FG.

Thank You!

Unfortunately this is not possible (as far as I know) for a PC.
    CLC: 2 will help by increasing caster level checks, but it does nothing for spell duration, effect potency, DC, etc.
    You will have to either handle it manually or create copies of each spell that your player usually uses it on which are in higher level slots and include some identifier like "(Potent)" so they know when to pick that version.

You could make an informational effect and increase the CL manually (the spell classes have a box for the cl in the actions tab) When the informational effect is gone you can delete this change again

(I sadly had never time to finish that effect, it is in my personal extension; but I wanted to fix a purely graphical problem before I release it )

The easiest way is to just apply an effect that increases your caster stat by 4 that expires after a single roll. The change should cause your DCs to be increased by 2. For a normal arcanist using intelligence this would be something like "Potent Magic; INT: 4" and set the target to Self and expiration to One Roll.
    Last edited by darrenan; October 6th, 2020 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    The easiest way is to just apply an effect that increases your caster stat by 4 that expires after a single roll. The change should cause your DCs to be increased by 2. For a normal arcanist using intelligence this would be something like "Potent Magic; INT: 4" and set the target to Self and expiration to One Roll.
    Good call! The only thing it leaves out is duration and magnitude of effect (such as number of damage dice/caster level).

I went back and looked at an arcanist character of mine and it looks like I just did everything manually when I used that ability :-P

Thanks very much, darrenan I'll do that. I have a group using FG for the first time as we normally play in person, so I am trying to automate things as much as possible.
    Last edited by Cidak; October 7th, 2020 at 01:38.

I took a look at Kelrugem's code and have it working with the desired 'invisible' UI (it works like normal FG where effects bonuses aren't shown on the sheet).
    Caster level for spell effect duration, damage, and healing can be raised via CL: n and spell save DC can be raised via SSDC: n.
    I'm going to test it out with my arcanist player this weekend and, if all goes well, can post it next week for more widespread testing.
    Last edited by bmos; October 8th, 2020 at 23:57.

Here's a customized version of Kelrugem's FullOverlay Package that contains an enabled/fixed CL: n effect (it doesn't show the bonus on the actions tab anymore but rolling damage, healing, effect duration, and so forth gets the correct bonuses. This saves a lot of time for arcanists especially.

This does not currently work in conjunction with IFTAG (which means you can't specify a caster level bonus for a specific school of magic yet).

I am not that familiar with the effects code yet and I am building on work that was not complete before, so it is possible that there will be unexpected behavior. That being said, in my limited testing and during my game tonight it has been performing well enough that I feel comfortable posting it.

I have posted a new version in a later post in this thread.
    Last edited by bmos; October 11th, 2020 at 15:28.

Thread Information