DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Merger of Player books with GM books for GM?

I was wondering if there is a way GMs could have the players books merged with the GM version. Reason I'm asking is for when trying to create characters for custom made games I'm not seeing all the options by not having the player books loaded. And when I load them I get the information that's not in the GM books but I also get duplicates of items, feats, classes, races, etc... Would be nice to get everything in the GM book and then not have to load the players book. Does anyone know if this will be available in the future for those of us that don't necessarily run pre-scripted campaigns?

You don’t specify what books you are talking about.

In most cases the GM version also includes the players information as well. However there were a lot of complaints about duplication where the player and GM books would contain the same information and therefore there would be two of each race, class etc. So more recently the way modules are produced is to have the details in the GM version of the module but only in a written form in the reference section and not have things like races, classes etc available as drag and drop from both GM and player modules. So only the players version of modules in recent conversations (and going forward) will have the information in a form that allows it to be used to build characters.

I did think about going back into older modules and removing all the player facing info from the GM versions but this would break the links for many people who created characters using the gm versions.

So the current position is not to include player content in a useable form in the GM book, but only in a readable form.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    If you're making characters then you should load the Player books for those; that's literally what they're for. Not sure about D&D 5E but most of the other systems typically do not duplicate player data in the GM books. Players cannot load your GM books, so making characters from those will give the players errors if they try to click any links to data (feats, skills, race, etc.).

Thanks Talyn & Zacchaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    You don’t specify what books you are talking about.

In most cases the GM version also includes the players information as well. However there were a lot of complaints about duplication where the player and GM books would contain the same information and therefore there would be two of each race, class etc. So more recently the way modules are produced is to have the details in the GM version of the module but only in a written form in the reference section and not have things like races, classes etc available as drag and drop from both GM and player modules. So only the players version of modules in recent conversations (and going forward) will have the information in a form that allows it to be used to build characters.

I did think about going back into older modules and removing all the player facing info from the GM versions but this would break the links for many people who created characters using the gm versions.

So the current position is not to include player content in a useable form in the GM book, but only in a readable form.
    So, given the above-quoted post, in a situation where one of my players needs some simple help with their PC -- let's say they didn't drag something into their actions tab -- I would need to load the Players version of the appropriate module to be able to do this for them? Myself and my group are all new to FG, so I'm still learning and they still need handholding. I've dragged things over that I expected to create an effect and instead created a link, so I'm wondering if this is the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by PunchinMahPekaah View Post
    So, given the above-quoted post, in a situation where one of my players needs some simple help with their PC -- let's say they didn't drag something into their actions tab -- I would need to load the Players version of the appropriate module to be able to do this for them? Myself and my group are all new to FG, so I'm still learning and they still need handholding. I've dragged things over that I expected to create an effect and instead created a link, so I'm wondering if this is the cause.
    Welcome to the community.

Yes, if you want to add things to a character sheet you would need whatever module contained that open. It depends what you are expecting to create an effect. Only spells really create effects when added to the actions tab. Most everything else will just create a new power ready for you to add the effect manually.

See videos eight and nine here for examples of this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...112#post492112
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information