Joshua Stream Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    GameMastery Guide

    Hi all, I just bought the GameMastery Guide book, by hoping to use it's lots of useful tables in quicker way as TABLES, but all I found - the tables are given only in the library as the referential materials.
    Does everyone have it in the same way? No idea now what is the use of it - I had the same tables in my printed book. This purchase becomes valuable only because of the NPC's (Guards, etc), but it's too expensive if buying only for them. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ershua View Post
    Hi all, I just bought the GameMastery Guide book, by hoping to use it's lots of useful tables in quicker way as TABLES, but all I found - the tables are given only in the library as the referential materials.
    Does everyone have it in the same way? No idea now what is the use of it - I had the same tables in my printed book. This purchase becomes valuable only because of the NPC's (Guards, etc), but it's too expensive if buying only for them. Any thoughts?
    short answer: the table are coming!

    Long answer:
    When I did the conversion, the common wisdom (at fantasy grounds) was to create it as a reference manual. period. It's been in my plan to update it to make it more functional (especially Gamemastery and ultimate campaign) but for lack of time on my part it was a project for future consideration. I have decided to start working right now to implement the table and add more functionality to the ultimate campaign, with ultimately updating all the core book I converted to have functional, rollable table and other enhancement. I have a few enhancement in mind that I want to implement, but they take time. The table, for example are a bit more time consuming to create using the tool within a reference manual. But by making the decision to start working on that issue now (rather than at an undecided future time), i can say that they will be coming in an update fairly soon (for Gamemastery and Ultimate campaign anyway).

    I'll work on it

    Shadowcat

  3. #3
    This is the best answer I could only hope! Thank you!

  4. #4
    Greetings,

    I am currently working on a conversion of my own and wanted to find some NPC examples that I could compare and contrast with the ones that I need to create. Since I own the GameMastery module, I thought I would look there first.

    I found a confusing situation when I started looking through that collection of NPCs (and comparing them with the text from the PDF). For now I'll just stick with the one that I found first: Temple (Acolyte) (p.304 in the PDF).

    If you open the GameMaster module in Fantasy Grounds, and look at the stat block for the aforementioned Acolyte, you'll notice two things: 1) The Spells tab for the NPC is blank (even though the NPC is a Cleric, and spells are specified); and 2) In the textual portions on the Other tab, where the Spell List is reproduced, you will find what appears to be a character encoding problem. There is some junk that shows up for some of the special characters, the most-special being '-' (actually, that doesn't come across correctly, it's the long hyphen.)

    This seems to me to be, almost surely, a case where the original edit file was encoded as ANSI instead of UTF-8. My own experience has shown this to result in elements within the stat block not parsing out correctly, just as we see in this example.

    Again, this is not the only NPC that exhibits this problem, it's just the one I wanted to look at.

    The fact that this product has been in the Store for some time now, with no mention of this fact, gives me pause, and suggests that, in fact, I might have something wrong in my own setup that could be changed to 'fix' this. I can't imagine what that might be, and I think it highly unlikely, but I'm all ears.

    Anyway, I thought you'd want to know.

    Cheers,

    - s.west

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    Greetings,

    I am currently working on a conversion of my own and wanted to find some NPC examples that I could compare and contrast with the ones that I need to create. Since I own the GameMastery module, I thought I would look there first.

    I found a confusing situation when I started looking through that collection of NPCs (and comparing them with the text from the PDF). For now I'll just stick with the one that I found first: Temple (Acolyte) (p.304 in the PDF).

    If you open the GameMaster module in Fantasy Grounds, and look at the stat block for the aforementioned Acolyte, you'll notice two things: 1) The Spells tab for the NPC is blank (even though the NPC is a Cleric, and spells are specified); and 2) In the textual portions on the Other tab, where the Spell List is reproduced, you will find what appears to be a character encoding problem. There is some junk that shows up for some of the special characters, the most-special being '-' (actually, that doesn't come across correctly, it's the long hyphen.)

    This seems to me to be, almost surely, a case where the original edit file was encoded as ANSI instead of UTF-8. My own experience has shown this to result in elements within the stat block not parsing out correctly, just as we see in this example.

    Again, this is not the only NPC that exhibits this problem, it's just the one I wanted to look at.

    The fact that this product has been in the Store for some time now, with no mention of this fact, gives me pause, and suggests that, in fact, I might have something wrong in my own setup that could be changed to 'fix' this. I can't imagine what that might be, and I think it highly unlikely, but I'm all ears.

    Anyway, I thought you'd want to know.

    Cheers,

    - s.west
    I'll fix it immediately (i think it got corrupted during a fix upload---> creating another problem by accident)

    Shadowcat

  6. #6
    Cool!

    Thanks,

    - s.west

  7. #7
    So... Was it fixed? I'm still seeing the same problem(s). Is there something I'm doing wrong on my end? I have seen FG updates come through, and I have unloaded the module and reloaded it... but, the problem remains.

    ?

    - s.west

    (p.s. I just realized that, yesterday, I had pulled in a number of NPCs from the GMG, for use in another module, and I hadn't paid attention to what I was getting. I just looked at them, and they're all corrupted.)

  8. #8
    Kelrugem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland, and Lyon, France
    Posts
    2,263
    Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    So... Was it fixed? I'm still seeing the same problem(s). Is there something I'm doing wrong on my end? I have seen FG updates come through, and I have unloaded the module and reloaded it... but, the problem remains.

    ?

    - s.west

    (p.s. I just realized that, yesterday, I had pulled in a number of NPCs from the GMG, for use in another module, and I hadn't paid attention to what I was getting. I just looked at them, and they're all corrupted.)
    Reloading the modulea are not necessarily updating the data, especially when they are registered as "edited by you" Right-click on the module in the library, where you unloaded it, and click revert changes (it is like that because you also do not want that changes/updates are applied to things you edited and then your changes are gone; hence that other extra button )

  9. #9
    Trenloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newcastle, UK (for a bit)
    Posts
    27,792
    Release updates are usually every Tuesday. Check the City Hall forum for release updates for the specific product.

    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...p?37-City-Hall
    FG Con 16 Fantasy Grounds Online RPG Convention - Postponed New date To Be Confirmed.
    Register at www.fg-con.com for all the latest info.

    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    Reloading the modulea are not necessarily updating the data, especially when they are registered as "edited by you" Right-click on the module in the library, where you unloaded it, and click revert changes (it is like that because you also do not want that changes/updates are applied to things you edited and then your changes are gone; hence that other extra button )
    Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, I added that p.s. just to emphasize that this is a problem for me.

    If you own the GMG, then just open it and look at, pretty much, any NPC, and you'll see what I'm talking about. At least that's what I could do to demonstrate it... Here's an example from the Conjurist (this is directly from the NPC list from the GMG, which was just now opened):

    GMG.PNG

    This is an encoding (or codepage) problem. Another consequence of this is that spells aren't being populated.

    Anyway, I just wanted to clarify what I posted.

    Thanks,

    - s.west

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
FG Spreadshirt Swag

Log in

Log in