FG Spreadshirt Swag

Server Slow Down when Combat Tracker has 50+ Npc?

I have had this happen a few times. When I reach about 50-60 characters/NPC on the combat tracker, the whole server slows/lags to the point where it is hard to use. CNTL-Click targeting on the map becomes very slow, though the map itself seems fine. Have others run into this? If yes, what was your character/NPC count? I want to figure out if this is a limit caused by my computer, or if something in fantasy grounds. My guess is my computer ran out of memory, but would like to confirm that before buying upgrades.

The setup last night that caused us to hit that number was 8 players with their 3 pets, 17 prisoners being broken out of jail cells, while fighting the 30 guards that where stationed to guard the prison.

FGC/FGU ?

FGC is 32 bit so has a 3.5 GB memory limit so upgrades probably won't make a difference.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

50+! I have a headache just thinking about that...

Quote Originally Posted by caballan View Post
    Fgu
    I suspect it may well be a limitation of Unity/FGU rather than your hardware (but I could be wrong!)

I doubt Smiteworks have ever got close to that number of NPCs (5e with that many foes, would be a VERY long fight)

I've only used FGU once, with 6 foes at most so far, but I'll run up something later to see if I get issues (my hardware is new but not the fastest there is)
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Did you have Line-of-Sight enabled?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yes, the LOS for the map was turned on. Turning the LOS off does help some, but it still has a good amount of lag when using cntl+click targeting.

I ran an epic fight with 40 npcs and 5 pcs. I have a high end system with 128gb ram and 32 cores, and didn't notice any slowdowns with or without los. The slowdown was primarily running 3 separate combats as part of the same combat.

Was an amped up Rippers fight from the original Rippers campaign with the Harkers, Mr. Hyde, the party, a sun-proof vampire lord masquerading as a rescued victim with other puppet rescued victims in their hospital from earlier that day, and a slew of invading mooks from 3 attack points.

I was surprised at how fast the combat went, actually, because I'd read so many things over the months about how slow it gets with to many combatants. While it took a while to resolve everything the only technical issue was that one player's token kept disappearing and when it reappeared it wasn't linked to the combat tracker anymore, another player's targeting didnt work, and at the beginning of the fight I had to redo the setup because all the tokens, pc and npc, had lost their link to the CT from when combat started at the end of the previous session.

I think the largest battle I've run yet was around 24 NPCs and a group of 4 PCs with 2 vehicles. Opening the CT made the server hang for half a sec, but that was all. Importing large groups(8+) from Encounters causes a similar effect. This is with FGU. I've got a Dell Precision 5530 with an i7 8850h 2.6ghz, 32g of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro P1000 on a standard broadband connection.
    FGU Ultimate License - Savage Worlds GM

Thread Information