STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

FGU party tool question

Experienced GM, but no FG xp, so looking into details about what all it can or can not do, for stuff i know goes on at my table.

Does FGU have some kind of way in which the player party can use a group inventory for "their base?"

Commonly at staged of a campaign my players will gain access various forms of "bases" to operate out of.
    From being granted a residence use in town by a local leader, to being granted land on which to build a stronghold/temple by the local duke as their reputation builds.

It gives some mile stone achievement stuff to the playes. But importantly this way players can acquire loot they share in, and may horde useful tools, but do not have to drag it all around with them for encumbrance and gear tracking purposes. Giving them a mechanically promised safe place to leave valuables they don't need on them behind, when heading off to adventurer.

Does FGU have a tool/function that can do this? If not is there a plugin/extension for FGU that can?
    Some kind of inventory tracking that does not concern about weight on the players, and knows no one specific player is in possession of it. A shared inventory that allows all party members to drop stuff in and take stuff out as they wish?

It's be way cool if such an inventory could be made for each unique location players could be making use of for what all they have stored where.
    Last edited by A Social Yeti; October 9th, 2020 at 19:33.

Quote Originally Posted by A Social Yeti View Post
    Experienced GM, but no FG xp, so looking into details about what all it can or can not do, for stuff i know goers on at my table.

Does FGU have some kind of way in which the player party can use a group inventory for "their base?"

Commonly at staged of a campaign my players will gain access various forms of "bases" to operate out of.
    From being granted a residence use in town by a local leader, to being granted land on which to build a stronghold/temple by the local duke as their reputation builds.

It gives some mile stone achievement stuff to the playes. But importantly this way players can acquire loot they share in, and may horde useful tools, but do not have to drag it all around with them for encumbrance and gear tracking purposes. Giving them a mechanically promised safe place to leave valuables they don't need on them behind, when heading off to adventurer.

Does FGU have a tool/function that can do this? If not is there a plugin/extension for FGU that can?
    Some kind of inventory tracking that does not concern about weight on the players, and knows no one specific player is in possession of it. A shared inventory that allows all party members to drop stuff in and take stuff out as they wish?

It's be way cool if such an inventory could be made for each unique location players could be making use of for what all they have stored where.
    These may help with that process, but built in, no there is no central location. You can create a mule PC character as a group inventory and have it available in the partysheet to hold and distribute items.

https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41634

The one I would key on is the World Builder one. This provides some world building tools within FG to help link records and provide more information to help track things.
    Dominic Morta
    Ruleset Developer
    Smiteworks

How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it-How to zip up your campaign if the Developers ask for it

How to provide an Unity Connection issue?-Connection Issues and What to Provide

Unity Updater issue?-Updater Issues

Classic and Unity Port Forwarding?-Fantasy Grounds Connections Explained

Comcast or Cox ISP User?-Comcast XFinity and Cox Users

Have a suggestion?-Feature Request

Blog Entries
    5E (and most rulsets) has the Party Inventory tab. This is what one of my groups use. Just assign items to name like "Bag of Holding", "Trollskull" "Wagon" etc.

Another of my groups we use "PCs" such as "Wagon" and "Fortress" that are owned and managed by a player.

I think the World Builder extension will help, Player Agency or even another might solve it for you too.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Experienced GM, but no FG xp, so looking into details about what all it can or can not do, for stuff i know goes on at my table.

I think the others explained baked in FGU abilities you can use with party sheet inventory. I had the same problems where I wanted an NPC mule to be controlled by players with its own inventory and also chests or other "token image" that represented a parcel players could put things into and take things out of on a permanent campaign basis (in campaign database). I solved it by writing a couple of extensions for myself. You could either do the same (write an extension) or PM me if you want info on mine. Gist is though - Extensions = RISK - so always best to use stock FGU stuff if you can get away with it. Or write your own so you have full control of whatever it is your trying to do.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Thanks for all this info yall.
    Please let me be sure i get it here.

FGU has no built in tools or concept of player strongholds / base / off party, party inventory sort of stuff.

A work around is to make a PC and have it owned by the players so they can manage it. Name it whatever the inventory is, like cart, chest, house, or whatever describes the inventory and just use it for the inventory. Can also be on map placement like the location of the cart or whatever as needed/wanted.

The World Builder extension may have something useful to this end or you might code your own, but as with all post factory modifications, use at your own risk.

Follow up question:
    Any ideas or concepts of this off party, party inventory mechanic planned to be a part of FGU exiting early access?

Thanks again for all the help.
    Yeti

Blog Entries
    Very little in the way of future features are ever announced. There are a few things around dynamic LOS and vague rumors of other things, but nothing around this. The demand just isn't that high and there are several community solutions for it.

Of course, you can always see if the idea exists on the Wish List and vote for it, or add it if its not there. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Very little in the way of future features are ever announced. There are a few things around dynamic LOS and vague rumors of other things, but nothing around this. The demand just isn't that high and there are several community solutions for it.

Of course, you can always see if the idea exists on the Wish List and vote for it, or add it if its not there. https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

really? how does FG imagine i decide that what FGU plans to be is what i want to spend my money on now then?

Is the real business plan here, to call it early access until arbitrarily deciding that it isn't anymore?

No project defined scope, no feature complete list? FGU is for real as a project scope an arbitrary choice to stop adding the random Wishlist stuff to it?

Please tell me this is not so, that's too insane for me to believe of a real business conducting a real development project.

Wishlist ≠Road map.
    RNG ≠ Design Direction

I mean most early access titles do tend to show some kind of, and here is what we imagine the end product is like in some way or another. They got nothing like that here to have some sense of project scope informed decision of what they ask for funding for?
    Last edited by A Social Yeti; October 9th, 2020 at 23:38.

really? how does FG imagine i decide that what FGU plans to be is what i want to spend my money on now then?

Is the real business plan here, to call it early access until arbitrarily deciding that it isn't anymore?

No project defined scope, no feature complete list? FGU is literally an arbitrary choice to stop adding the random Wishlist stuff to it?

Pleas tell me this is not so, that's too insane for me to believe of a real business conduct a real development project.

Wishlist ≠Road map.
    RNG ≠ Design Direction

I mean most early access titles do tend to show some kind of, and here is what we imagine the end product is like in some way or another. They got nothing like that here to have some sense of project scope informed decision of what you fund?
    There is of course a defined scope, but normally not public But the developers are often open about what they expect to be solved in the Early access, here the latest statement: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post543079

Blog Entries
    My comments, which I did not clearly state, are in regards to features AFTER full release. Kelrugem has linked the most recent status of FGU features for full release. You can also see review the KS project to see a general outline of what features are planned.

There is no public detailed list, because then the devs would have to defend every decision to each and every customer that felt entitled to voice their opinion. And rather than actually developing software, they would be managing the 'social' aspects of their customers.

Edit: or at least that is my opinion of why they do what they do.

Thanks again yall. Finding out that FGU is basically feature complete is all i really needed to know then.

A project too early on in dev, with no defined scope and no road map info with it's hand out for money is just birthing suckers by my POV. Even with the best intent on their part, by my xp in dev that'd be irrational for me to fund it.
    But if they are basically done and just getting the polish in that's a real different state of early access to be asking for funding for.

i get what you see there Entrails, but as a PM and Designer, i know you can turn a def ear to dumb ideas, it's a job requirement. So i got little sympathy for em on that front. If they went to a VC for money they'd have to show plans. i do find it a little rude of them, to have assumed to not have to show the plans for what is still the VC money really.

But i'll just assume, that they assumed to do this on funding from current FG users(earned good will) more than the open public(i see you got your hand out there...) when they launched this early access project. Which would not be unreasonable a plan if you had a well enough established group of good will earned product users already.

I'm basically sold on this for mechanics heavy RPG GMing, just waiting on the sale now as i got no pressing need at the moment.
    thanks again for the helpful info yall.

Thread Information