STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Character selection issue

We are trying to play tonight as we made PC's last week. One of the players has no characters showing up in the character selection screen. The DM has cleared ownership, and myself and other players can see our friends PC in the character selection screen but he can't. We made sure everyone is updated, restarted the server several times and he still can't find his guy to select.

Any ideas on what to do?

Blog Entries
    In FGC, you have to close the Character Selection window and then open it again for changes in ownership to be reflected.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    In FGC, you have to close the Character Selection window and then open it again for changes in ownership to be reflected.
    We tried that a number of times. We finally got it to work by the DM taking ownership and then releasing it. However now that he has control of his guy anything the DM shares with him is showing up blank. For instance the DM shared a map the other 4 of us can see the map. His map is blank however.

Really weird, this player is on a Mac if that makes a difference.

Blog Entries
    It shouldn't make a difference, but sounds like his cache may be corrupted. I would have him disconnect, clear his cache and restart FGU and then reconnect. See if that helps.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    It shouldn't make a difference, but sounds like his cache may be corrupted. I would have him disconnect, clear his cache and restart FGU and then reconnect. See if that helps.
    How does one clear their cache in FGU?

Delete the folder for the campaign in the FGData/cache folder.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Delete the folder for the campaign in the FGData/cache folder.
    First time we tried playing again. My friend claims he deleted his cache folder and still doesn't see anything in the character selection window while the other players including myself can see his PC in the character selection window. Everyone is updated, we have no idea what to do.

As a side not when I was DM we never had this issue with him.

Any other ideas?

Are the characters all showing as Owned by other players?

The GM can use the right click menu to Clear Owner on any player, so that it will appear next time any user re-opens their Character Selection window.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Are the characters all showing as Owned by other players?

The GM can use the right click menu to Clear Owner on any player, so that it will appear next time any user re-opens their Character Selection window.

Regards,
    JPG

Appreciate the attempt at help but I don't think this is a simple matter of not knowing what to do. I've used FG for over 4 years and I've tried all the obvious solutions. In a nutshell here is the problem

1. Everyone when they log in gets a pop up with their character and they select the character and are good except for this one player who is on a Mac,
    2. When he logs in he sees his character in the same manner as above but it unable to select him. The owner is listed as his log in name.
    3. He closes that window and then click on the PC button and there are no characters to select.
    4. The GM clears the ownership, the play still sees no character on pressing the PC button but all other players can see his character if they hit the PC button.
    5. Player logs off and on, make no difference.
    6. Player clears cache as described above by deleting cache folder, makes no difference.
    7. Other player can select his PC and use it. In fact last session I controlled his PC and he just told me what to do so we could get the session in.

Only thing we haven't tried is clearing someone elses ownership to see if this player can see any characters in the selection window. We all update before every session to ensure we are on the same version. I should also note that I GM the last campaign in which we used FGU for the last 3 months of it and this player never had an issue selecting his guy.

I'm honestly out of ideas on what to try.

Blog Entries
    ok, so what about username? Any special characters? If he tries a new username does it work?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information