DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Range to large NPCs

I created a NPC with size/reach: 3/2 on the Combat screen (I didn't just scale the model up, but instead actually set the size). I targeted this creature with a ranged weapon that should have been at short range according the the onscreen range indicator, but instead gave the penalty for medium.

I had a theory and tested it by creating a human sized creature and scaling it up with the scroll wheel instead of actually making a large size creature. I then placed this roughly the same distance away and targeted both of them, and I was correct, the fake large creature measured further away. I was even able to adjust the distances where the fake large creature was 10" away and the real large creature was 9" away (even though the fake large creature is obviously, slightly closer just from visual inspection), but the fake one was at close range and the real one was at medium range in the combat window.

So, it seems that the display range is based on distance to the front edge of the NPC and the background range that affects modifiers is based on the center of the figure. This is obviously wrong, but which is technically correct? I'm assuming the display range, just because of the difficulty I had getting close enough to a large creature to throw a dagger at close range. But I'm not sure. Either way, it's still an error when display and the calcs don't match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've found the place where it calculates the distance used in the attack formula (TokenManager.getDistance in ActionAttack.handleApplyAttack), so I can replace it if I can find the formula used to calculate the distance on the arrow/pointer. Does anyone know where that is located in the code?

Confirmed! I was able to replicate with a better aligned grid and equidistant centers for the NPCs, though their tokens vary in shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I worry that my question may have gotten lost in everything I said here, but to directly state it, does anyone know where the distance calculation that is used to show the distance on the targeting arrow is found? I assume somewhere in Core, but i cannot find it.

Thread Information