FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    The artist also sells the higher resolution versions of the maps, including Vallaki: https://mikeschley.com/the-town-of-vallaki

You can also find Vallaki hear on the DnDbeyond link for the Map of Barrovia, I don't know if its high res enough though..

https://media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com...arovia-map.jpg

While I get people have high res of Vallaki - I think people are not understanding the depth of my laziness and how hard I'm willing to work to achieve it

All those high res maps of Vallaki will not retain the graphics when you have 5ft grid overlayed on it. The map graphics is simply to large to support it as people do it - even on their high res maps. I want (and will achieve somehow) the large map with the tiny grid so when I find a random combat in the middle of town I can zoom in (without graphics degradation) and at the token true scale begin combat or whatever based on the map and surroundings. The limitations of this are that when you have such a large map and a small grid scale, the graphics have to be drawn at the tiny grid scale at map creation time for resolution purposes. Also the mouse move vs scale of the map becomes tiny movement turns into large move on the map. The technology and storage is now at a point you should be able to achieve a high res LARGE map and put a tiny grid on it so when you zoom in you can still see a reasonable graphic representation - and while it will be large I want it crisp. And making the mouse move relevant to size can be accomplished by mouse movement resolution outside of the game for sure.

Gist is - what I want - probably does not exist yet. But the heart wants what the heart wants. And large scale map that can be used in the small scale is what my end game goal is. Limitations may force me to break the map up into smaller sections - but I wanted to know if there was currently an easy way to get a low res map into a high res map viable at small scales. The answer appears to be there is not - short of doing it all yourself.

Which appears to be where I'm at. Sometime this week I'll experiment around with doing what I want - as it will be a long term thing I'd use for other maps not just this one Vallaki thing. If I can figure out to get where I want - whatever path that ends up being - then that is what I will do.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I want (and will achieve somehow) the large map with the tiny grid so when I find a random combat in the middle of town I can zoom in (without graphics degradation) and at the token true scale begin combat or whatever based on the map and surroundings. The limitations of this are that when you have such a large map and a small grid scale, the graphics have to be drawn at the tiny grid scale at map creation time for resolution purposes.
    Ah, that would certainly be nice.

Such a map is going to be very detailed. Looking at it, that map is about 8000 feet wide (and maybe 6000 ft high). CC3+ can certainly make such a map, but I'm not sure it would be able to export it at the desired resolution. At the FGC standard of 10 pixels per foot that 80k x 60k pixels. At a higher cleaner resolution of 20 pixels per foot, that's 160k x 120k pixels. Or 19.2 billion pixels, and you are probably going to want 32 bit pixel depth. Which mean such an open image would take 614.4 GB of RAM. Did I do that math right?

Some suggestions say you multiple by 4 and not 32, even so that would be 76.8 GB RAM, which seems more reasonable, but is certainly more than I would care to load into my computer.

File size is probably at least 10% of the process size, so at least a 7.7 GB file to transfer to all of your players. We normally suggest file size kept close to 2MB, so that 60 times larger.

Know what you are getting into

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post

Such a map is going to be very detailed. Looking at it, that map is about 8000 feet wide (and maybe 6000 ft high). CC3+ can certainly make such a map, but I'm not sure it would be able to export it at the desired resolution. At the FGC standard of 10 pixels per foot that 80k x 60k pixels. At a higher cleaner resolution of 20 pixels per foot, that's 160k x 120k pixels. Or 19.2 billion pixels, and you are probably going to want 32 bit pixel depth. Which mean such an open image would take 614.4 GB of RAM. Did I do that math right?

Some suggestions say you multiple by 4 and not 32, even so that would be 76.8 GB RAM, which seems more reasonable, but is certainly more than I would care to load into my computer.

File size is probably at least 10% of the process size, so at least a 7.7 GB file to transfer to all of your players. We normally suggest file size kept close to 2MB, so that 60 times larger.

Yeah that sounds way to big - but I'll try it first before I divide and conquer (by making smaller detailed chunks of the map). But I figure go for the "dream" first and when it fails - go with your standby. Going to start with big empty map that covers the raw distance with the grid size - then see if I can drop things in the blank map with grid and move them around (doing mouse tuning stuff) to see if it is even possible with nothing. IF that is possible - then I'll see what kind of graphics it can support before it becomes unusable (even blank one is even usable).

Anyway - it's a pipe dream. As you say - it would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post

Ugh. Started a high res map where I drew the overlaying building that were getting washed out by zoom and adding LOS - was such a task I brought one of my weekly players in to see if they thought it was going to be worth the effort on the off chance I needed to drop them into some combat situation in a random part of town - and thank goodness...

They said it was not worth all the effort - which was going to be a lot!

As it turns out, It seems with the last patch its actually better at handling tiny movements on a highly zoomed in map so we will simply live with the washed out over expanded building walls if I have to drop them into town. Yes I'm a wimp for giving up.

But it fits my lazy DM vibe I'm going for -_-

Thread Information