FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

FG Freezing! Unloading a Module?

Hello there. I consider myself still fairly new to FG (Classic). I host a game for 5 players. We are playing D&D 5e. FG has started freezing on my end lately (players are fine). We all use Windows 10. I have to restart FG and have my players reconnect - sometimes it will only last 5 minutes before it freezes again. It's really taking the flow out of our games. We are playing the TFTYP campaign. The plan was to start them with the Sunless Citadel adventure, and then run them through the remaining 6 adventures in sequence. We ran through the Sunless Citadel without a single freeze. Now that we are on to the next adventure, the Forge of Fury, it has started freezing lots. Making it more complicated, is that I switched to a new laptop in between those 2 adventures, so I'm not sure if it's my new laptop causing the issue, or if it's running a second adventure. As far as I know, I'm not running any additional software that I wasn't running on my old laptop, so I don't think the new laptop is the issue.

I've been looking through the forums here, and have found numerous suggestions to fix the freezing. I wanted to start troubleshooting with some of the easier stuff first. I'm concerned that trying to run multiple adventures on the same FG campaign is bogging it down. I see that I did have several images and maps loaded from the 2 adventures I've run so far, including all of the player's maps from both adventures. I've unshared all of the images except for the current map they're using (The Glitterhame). Is it considered good practice to unshare images/maps once the players are done with them? In addition to this, I thought I should maybe unload the Sunless Citadel adventure module, and have just the Forge of Fury adventure module loaded. However, I'm pausing on this, as some of the players have items from the Sunless Citadel adventure, including some important magical items. Would the players still be able to use the items from the Sunless Citadel adventure if I unload it? I've also considered starting a completely new campaign and just loading their player files into it (if that's possible), but again I'm concerned certain items from the Sunless Citadel would not be available/visible to them if that particular adventure module isn't loaded.

Unfortunately I won't know if unsharing the images works until we all jump on for a session in 2 days from now. In the meantime, I would appreciate any advice on the impact of unsharing maps/images, as well as unloading adventure modules. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

First things:
    1) Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system?
    2) How much memory if FantasyGrounds.exe using when you experience these freezes? Look in the Windows Task Manager to see the memory use of the FantasyGrounds.exe process.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    First things:
    2) How much memory if FantasyGrounds.exe using when you experience these freezes? Look in the Windows Task Manager to see the memory use of the FantasyGrounds.exe process.
    Hi Trenloe! Thanks for your response!

I'm running 64bit. I haven't checked to see the memory usage when that happens. If it happens again then I'll take note of it and reply here.

In the meantime, do you happen to know if unloading a adventure module would potentially help? If so, would the players lose the ability to use their items from that adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by Odeatho View Post
    In the meantime, do you happen to know if unloading a adventure module would potentially help? If so, would the players lose the ability to use their items from that adventure?
    Yes, that could help a lot (depending on the size of the module). If the players have added items to their PC sheet inventory, or items have been added to the party sheet inventory, then local copies have been made and the data won't be lost if the original module is closed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

You are awesome. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    First things:
    We just finished another session that was continually interrupted by screen freezing on my end. Unsharing all of the maps and images, as well as the Sunless Citadel module seemed to do nothing to help. I looked at it's usage when it froze and it was at 579MB. My total memory usage was 57%. CPU was 0%. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Some questions for you:
    * Do you switch in and out of the FG application regularly during play?
    * Are you the GM?
    * How many image files do you have in the FG data folder under images/ and tokens/? And how big are they?
    * How many image files do you have in the campaign folder under images/? And how big are they?

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Some questions for you:
    * Do you switch in and out of the FG application regularly during play?
    * Are you the GM?
    * How many image files do you have in the FG data folder under images/ and tokens/? And how big are they?
    * How many image files do you have in the campaign folder under images/? And how big are they?

Regards,
    JPG
    I have Discord and Google Chrome open. I sometimes will use them. I have an additional monitor hooked up that I view them on.

I am the GM.

I don't have an images folder. In my tokens folder I have empty shared and empty host folders.

In this particular campaign folder's images folder there is 1 image of a map that is 7.33 MB

Thanks!

I was theorizing that it might be related to asset refresh on task switch; but from the data you provided, it seems unlikely.

Some more questions to try to narrow down what is happening:
    * Does the freeze happen to coincide with task switching on the OS?
    * Or are there particular actions in FG that tend to trigger the issue?
    * Where is your FG data folder located? What kind of drive?
    * What are the specs and OS for your machine?
    * Can I get a copy of the log files? (Type /console when in tabletop mode; and click the Compile Logs button.)

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    I was theorizing that it might be related to asset refresh on task switch; but from the data you provided, it seems unlikely.

Some more questions to try to narrow down what is happening:
    * Does the freeze happen to coincide with task switching on the OS? No, I don't think so. It just seems to happen when I'm trying to do something in FG
    * Or are there particular actions in FG that tend to trigger the issue? It just seems to freeze while using it in general. Sometimes it will go 45-60 minutes without a freeze, and sometimes it freezes constantly, like every few minutes.
    * Where is your FG data folder located? What kind of drive? It's just on my C drive. I just left it where it installed to by default.
    * What are the specs and OS for your machine? Windows 10 - 64bit - HP laptop
    * Can I get a copy of the log files? (Type /console when in tabletop mode; and click the Compile Logs button.) When I do this a blank screen pops up. There is no option to 'Compile logs'. There is only an option to copy to clipboard, and it's blank.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks,
    JPG
    Please see my responses in bold.

Thread Information