Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by new_vision View Post
    To be fair - when following the step by step instruction rktschope and manually adding me as user with all rights it works.

BUT:
    as I am the only user and admin on my PC I SHOULDN'T be required to adjust user rights for an installation. I thought about moving my FGC game to FGU, but if everyone or even some of my users will encounter this problem, it is not worth it.

And yes, according to theog file, the software doesn't have permission to write on the standard folder paths. But that is an issue that should not happen at all on a completely newly set up Windows system.
    You said you reinstalled Windows 10 .. but that alone is a big change.. is this a fresh install from Microsoft media, or some OEM recovery image, which typically includes bloat software (including security software), provided by the PC manufacturer? Also note that not every user has full rights on every folder in the system; to prove that point, start notepad and try to save the file to the root c:\ path. I'm also curious, if your user account is an admin on the system, why did you have to explicitly add it to the FGU installation directory with write permissions when the Administrators group inherits Full Control on that directory?

As far as I know, the majority of our users do not have this permissions problem. The FGUWebInstaller adds the built-in Users group to the installation directory with write permissions as the last step of the installation process. We have tested this multiple times (i.e. both with/without the VC++ redistributable preinstalled) on a VM with a fresh Windows 10 installation and I have confirmed the group is there post-install. Note: we use the Users group because we can't assume that every one of our users is the only user and/or is an admin on their PC. If that group is not listed under the security tab of the installation directory then something on your system must have removed it.

I agree, the user shouldn't be required to manually adjust user rights. Believe me, this is not the initial experience we want our users to have. However, if security software is running that is going to tamper with an application's installation, and the installation doesn't function properly, then manual intervention may be required. We try to prevent this by including a feature in the updater that detects and attempts to fix the missing permissions; but again, if the security software is aggressively enforcing its policies it either prevents us from adding the permissions required (in which case you see a "Failed to fix permissions" error), or we succeed and start the update process which fails because the security software immediately removed the permissions. "Disabling" the security software can mean something depending on software used, so the best solution is to add a rule to it to exclude the FGU installation directory and try again.

I did a fresh install from the Windows media boot device, freshly created from the Microsoft website. So there is no bloatware of any kind.

The rights thing is exactly what puzzles me. I install Windows, i log in and activate it with my Microsoft account (which creates an admin user with my name), use the update feature to bring it up to speed. I go to the FG website, download the FGUWebinstaller and run it, i get the permissions error.

The laptop was set up EXACTLY the same way (different hardware obviously), and i don't have the permissions error.

Security settings are the same on both PCs, user name is the same as well. When i look at the FGU program folder on the PC there is a s**tload of users (looks like something went wrong during the initial setup). This is NOT the case on the laptop. But, as i said, the initial installation is the same on both PCs.

Interesting thing - i tried installing it on my laptop (on which i used only FGC so far), i received the same runtime library error (of course, as the version included in the installer is older than the MS one), but it got installed flawlessly, despite the error. Normal logging in and updater workds and does what he is supposed to do. I have the same user name on both PCs (as i log in with my MS account), so it can't be user name dependent. And i have the same setup when it comes to security.

Any ideas?
    It's not an error .. its more like a notification .. The FGU installer runs the VC++ redistributable installer in passive mode, which the installs the VC++ runtime if its not already installed.

I did a fresh install from the Windows media boot device, freshly created from the Microsoft website. So there is no bloatware of any kind.

The rights thing is exactly what puzzles me. I install Windows, i log in and activate it with my Microsoft account (which creates an admin user with my name), use the update feature to bring it up to speed. I go to the FG website, download the FGUWebinstaller and run it, i get the permissions error.

The laptop was set up EXACTLY the same way (different hardware obviously), and i don't have the permissions error.

Security settings are the same on both PCs, user name is the same as well. When i look at the FGU program folder on the PC there is a s**tload of users (looks like something went wrong during the initial setup). This is NOT the case on the laptop. But, as i said, the initial installation is the same on both PCs.
    The security settings should look like the attached image:
    ApplicationDirectorySecurity.png

Well, it doesn't look like that. At all. Which makes me think that something went wrong during the initial installation of Windows 10. Weird. One doesn't look at the rights on a daily basis, but that seems to be the root of the evil. I will reinstall Windows, as it is in its early stages. Not much hurt!

Well, it doesn't look like that. At all. Which makes me think that something went wrong during the initial installation of Windows 10. Weird. One doesn't look at the rights on a daily basis, but that seems to be the root of the evil. I will reinstall Windows, as it is in its early stages. Not much hurt!
    If you don't mind, post a screenshot of the security tab.

Rights_1.jpg Rights_2.jpg

I had to make two screenshots, as there are seven indiviual rights settings. This is SO weird. Coming from an absolutely clean install.

It is really weird. I downloaded a fresh install image from Microsoft with the media creation tool, installed Win10 and get those strange rights in the program files Folder. If i set the user rights to full access, it works. Nonetheless - this seems to be a Windows issue, not an FG issue.

What was said in #3 helped me, I had the exact same issue - many thanks for that!

Btw - I installed it on my MS Surface, too. No problems there. Strange indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by smelton View Post
    You said you reinstalled Windows 10 .. but that alone is a big change.. is this a fresh install from Microsoft media, or some OEM recovery image, which typically includes bloat software (including security software), provided by the PC manufacturer? Also note that not every user has full rights on every folder in the system; to prove that point, start notepad and try to save the file to the root c:\ path. I'm also curious, if your user account is an admin on the system, why did you have to explicitly add it to the FGU installation directory with write permissions when the Administrators group inherits Full Control on that directory?

As far as I know, the majority of our users do not have this permissions problem. The FGUWebInstaller adds the built-in Users group to the installation directory with write permissions as the last step of the installation process. We have tested this multiple times (i.e. both with/without the VC++ redistributable preinstalled) on a VM with a fresh Windows 10 installation and I have confirmed the group is there post-install. Note: we use the Users group because we can't assume that every one of our users is the only user and/or is an admin on their PC. If that group is not listed under the security tab of the installation directory then something on your system must have removed it.

I agree, the user shouldn't be required to manually adjust user rights. Believe me, this is not the initial experience we want our users to have. However, if security software is running that is going to tamper with an application's installation, and the installation doesn't function properly, then manual intervention may be required. We try to prevent this by including a feature in the updater that detects and attempts to fix the missing permissions; but again, if the security software is aggressively enforcing its policies it either prevents us from adding the permissions required (in which case you see a "Failed to fix permissions" error), or we succeed and start the update process which fails because the security software immediately removed the permissions. "Disabling" the security software can mean something depending on software used, so the best solution is to add a rule to it to exclude the FGU installation directory and try again.
    All the times I had to deal with that, the users were using Windows Defender or no security software. Users in Windows PRO hadn't any issues. It happened on SLE Windows, mostly. The fact that Program Files has different names on different languages could be a trigger of some sorts. Of course, I am talking on a base of 10 or so users of the demo version, all using Portuguese versions of Windoes. This is far from being a real test for it, bit is my experience... Thanks for the hard work!

Thread Information