DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Mecha and Shape Change Questions

Hello,

I wonder if there is a way to add a way for players to mount up exoskeletons or mechas, maybe shape change without creating an entire sheet? I can handle a few changes such as str or toughness via modifiers but I do not know if there is away for instance add weapons or claws.

I've done a quick search on google and forum but I did not come across any threads. If there is such a thread and I failed to find those, my humble apologies.

briefly, if its big enough, you can make a Vehicle. Armor can also be made as powered. Will have to play with a bit first.

Do you have SciFi Companion
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Campaign: Necessary Evil
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    Discord: Mgrancey#4994
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Okay, You can run at least 2 different ways. First, you can make Powered Armor, you can attach weapons to the powered armor They can then run weapons off it, if they want the weapons on their character sheet. They can add the weapons to their inventory but will want to change the weight to 0 or play around with Encumbrance effect.

They could also make it a vehicle, which again can have the weapons attached to the armor.

If there is a boost or set Strength you can handle that via effects.
    Ultimate License Holder
    Current Project: Dawn of Daikaiju: Converting, Deadlands: Reloaded The last Sons - Quality Assurance Checking
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?" -- Maxim 14 of The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
    Adventure: Keep Living Life Like There's No Tomorrow and You'll Eventually Be Right,

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonen View Post
    I wonder if there is a way to add a way for players to mount up exoskeletons or mechas, maybe shape change without creating an entire sheet? I can handle a few changes such as str or toughness via modifiers but I do not know if there is away for instance add weapons or claws.
    What you describe is the way Mecha used to be done with Savage World Deluxe before the Science Fiction Companion was available. There was an appendix for Constructs in the original Super Powers Companion that many GMs used. I don't recommend that approach because without the use of a Piloting skill the player doesn't really get a sense that they're controlling a big, hulking bipedal battle machine. The approach you described could be used for exoskeletons, but I recommend instead using the Walkers and Power Armor in the Sci-Fi Companion where they're treated as vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgrancey View Post
    Okay, You can run at least 2 different ways. First, you can make Powered Armor, you can attach weapons to the powered armor They can then run weapons off it, if they want the weapons on their character sheet. They can add the weapons to their inventory but will want to change the weight to 0 or play around with Encumbrance effect.

They could also make it a vehicle, which again can have the weapons attached to the armor.

If there is a boost or set Strength you can handle that via effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    What you describe is the way Mecha used to be done with Savage World Deluxe before the Science Fiction Companion was available. There was an appendix for Constructs in the original Super Powers Companion that many GMs used. I don't recommend that approach because without the use of a Piloting skill the player doesn't really get a sense that they're controlling a big, hulking bipedal battle machine. The approach you described could be used for exoskeletons, but I recommend instead using the Walkers and Power Armor in the Sci-Fi Companion where they're treated as vehicles.
    Thank you for the information, I am mostly focused on character transformations such as turning into a bear or a 6-foot monstrosity out of the nightmares still I can use vehicles and I was also planning to introduce players to mobile armors so this information is priceless! Thanks a lot!

If they are only changing into 1 specific form then might be easier to make that 2nd form as a NPC that can be dropped onto their character sheet as an ally and then controlled by the player as well. You can even offload onto them by unlocking the character so they can make any changes as needed.
    Ultimate License Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonen View Post
    Thank you for the information, I am mostly focused on character transformations such as turning into a bear or a 6-foot monstrosity...
    I recently had to do something similar in a homebrewed setting I created, which featured the Tanukis of Japanese mythology as a playable race. Tanukis can shapeshift into animals and even inanimate objects. What I did was to give the Race the Gifted Arcane Background, give them the Focus skill and the Shape Change power, and allowed them to use as if they're Seasoned rank (change to a size 0 animal) at Novice rank. In terms of how you'd manage it in FG, it can be handled a number of different ways because the PC still maintains a lot of their non-shapeshifted traits. It could be done with an NPC sheet, but one of my players managed to make it work with the same PC sheet - would have to check that campaign to list exactly how.

I initially allowed the Race to acquire other Powers and Power Points as if they were a standard Arcane Background, as the SWADE rules seemed to suggest that. From gameplay experience though, my Tanukis felt too OP via being such effective casters. Allowing them to change to a size 0 at Novice rank didn't seem too unbalancing though. I've since decided I wouldn't take that approach, and now only allow the Gifted edge and Focus skill to be used for a single, innate power. Such PCs can or course still purchase a 2nd AB to acquire new Powers and PPs with advancement. That wouldn't satisfy your requirement to allow a player -at least at Novice rank- to transform into a Bear, but a 6-ft monstrosity might be doable if they're Size 0.

For things like Mecha, it's more problematic because when transformed into such entities the player really becomes the equivalent of a Construct. For Racial builds, such a feature is actually an 8 point positive ability, which is a huge boon considering that races are typically balanced at +2 points. There's also rules in the SciFi Companion on how to allow limited Super Powers in SciFi settings, but even with those, the Construct SP is +8 which again is big. Of course if it's common that threats have similar capabilities, then it's not such a balance breaker. Bottom line, if you're going to allow your PCs to transform into powerful Constructs or vehicles, you'll probably have to come up with some solution to throttle them from becoming too OP.

Thread Information