DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unity and Mood Lighting

Has any progress been made with Mood Lighting and Unity?

Not a deal breaker by any means, but my players do miss that feature, that the mood lighting of the UI would change dramatically depending on the environment, day/night etc

I used to use a Moodlighting mod in FG Classic

Blog Entries
    I haven't heard of any work being done on it or intending to be done on it until after full release.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Under the known differences thread it states that it has been deprecated.

Changes By Design

Any assets that you have purchased will be available via the Assets button. They are not actually loaded until they need to be displayed, so take up negligible memory until viewed/used. Please note that not all DLC products are available on FGU yet.
    By design, image records are not created automatically based on the existence of files in your campaign images folder. Because each image record can now be anywhere from zero to multiple different image assets, we can't assume one file equals one record. Drag assets to existing image records, or onto image list to create an image record with that asset.
    Program title bar remains when maximized. This is a current limitation of Unity platform.
    Files can no longer be dragged and dropped directly into Images list or Asset view. This is a current limitation of Unity platform.
    Assets can not be shared for viewing by other users; but all assets owned by players are now available any time they play.
    Anybody can create a campaign, but only licensed users can host a session (including localhost sessions).
    Manage Characters (i.e. Local mode) has been deprecated. Create an empty campaign to import/edit/export characters.
    Image lock client view has been deprecated.
    Mood lighting has been deprecated.

It's an odd feature to kill...seems like it would be relatively easy to keep but I have no idea. I do miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by DM_BK View Post
    It's an odd feature to kill...seems like it would be relatively easy to keep but I have no idea. I do miss it.
    I have found that if I beg and cry and complain, and whine enough ( like I did with Token Locking ) that my very annoying wheel sometimes gets greased

we miss this feature too, my players loved it when the background would go to twilight, and they are talking about the time of day and their plans without me saying anything about it.

It was very immersive.
    Last edited by DwightLee; September 25th, 2020 at 18:17.

It would be nice to know if it's a Unity/FG implementation technical issue and simply not possible. Or if it's just considered low priority and maybe someday we will see it again?

I'll survive either way but I'd love to know the "thinking" behind dropping that feature.

EDIT: Actually, I just found this...sounds like we might see it someday:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post543079
    Last edited by DM_BK; September 25th, 2020 at 20:17.

It's the fact that the old implementation wouldn't work in the new Unity implementation of the controls; and that we haven't investigated how we would even approach doing something like that in Unity yet.
    It might be pretty easy or not; but a feature like this is a relatively low priority. Also, we're looking at eventually adding color filters to images (similar to FX layers) which we consider a higher priority, and may reflect on how/if we did overall tabletop filtering.

Regards,
    JPG

Ah, cool. Thanks for letting us know. Here's hoping it makes in someday.

Capturing the mood is very important. While it's understandable that the moodlets are low priority, immersive roleplaying is a high priority for some folks. I personally favor functionality over immersive story telling, these things are simply nice to have. I will say though with recent strides in this area in regards to other virtual tabletops, I would hate to see Unity get left behind on this front. LoS, Fog of War, FX layers, all fall in somewhere between functionality and immersing the player into the game. Players are capable of affecting the mood around a physical table, from low lighting to candle-lit games (which are great). Can't precisely capture that in a VTT, but can certainly stride towards it.

So definitely something i miss, and something I would certainly want back at some point, be it new iteration or a combination of the old.

Quote Originally Posted by Xydonus View Post
    Capturing the mood is very important. While it's understandable that the moodlets are low priority, immersive roleplaying is a high priority for some folks. I personally favor functionality over immersive story telling, these things are simply nice to have. I will say though with recent strides in this area in regards to other virtual tabletops, I would hate to see Unity get left behind on this front. LoS, Fog of War, FX layers, all fall in somewhere between functionality and immersing the player into the game. Players are capable of affecting the mood around a physical table, from low lighting to candle-lit games (which are great). Can't precisely capture that in a VTT, but can certainly stride towards it.

So definitely something i miss, and something I would certainly want back at some point, be it new iteration or a combination of the old.
    Yes, now that we have working Token Locking ( and working really well ) Mood Lighting is the thing I miss about Classic the most, in the process of re-writing and line of sighting my original Homebrew campaign, and man I do miss the mood lighting, I have notes all through the campaign showing which mood to change to.

Thread Information