Starfinder Playlist

Binding to wrong adapter vEthernet not Ethernet

Hi All, I'm running FGU Ultimate 2020-09-03 on Windows 10 Pro and using the 5e ruleset. Had a user attempt to connect to my IP address over the internet in LAN mode. They weren't able to connect and launching another copy of FGU and attempting to connect as a player resulted in a failed connection for me as well.

I restarted FGU and when I click Load Campaign the internal IPv4 address is wrong, not only the IP but the whole subnet. I did an ipconfig from the commandline and had several additional adapters I hadn't seen before. If I go under Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections, I tracked down that it's pulling the IP address from vEthernet, one of the Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapters. After disabling the virtual adapters and restarting FGU it is showing the IP from the Ethernet (not vEthernet) adapter as expected. I wasn't aware Hyper-V was creating these additional adapters and never noticed it as a problem under FGC.

If your players are having problems connecting make sure your internal IP as seen by FGU is what you have mapped on your router/firewall.

Is FGU vastly different since this never was a complicating factor on FGC?

Blog Entries
    This is a rare but known issue. I've experienced it with various programs for ~15 years. Including my last 5 years with FG. It's not too often, but is why the virtual adapters question is in the connections thread.

You can solve this like you did, by disabling the adapter. But you can also solve this by going into your registry and changing the order of your network adapters. By making your Ethernet adapter first, it's the IP address that FG will pick up (since FG and many programs just look for the first enabled network adapter).

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Also, doesn't FGU actually listen on all adapters? So if you figured out the IP on the real adapter, you could still use it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagix View Post
    Also, doesn't FGU actually listen on all adapters? So if you figured out the IP on the real adapter, you could still use it?
    I could be wrong, but I don't think so. I think dearestleader's experience indicates it doesn't and I think I've seen this issue being reported by others.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

If you are not comfortable mucking about in the registry, there are a couple of other ways to change the network adapter priority in Win10.

Windows Central has a good guide.

Thread Information