DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Help Needed: Turn Undead

Our group seems to have trouble automating the Cleric's Turn Undead.

I tried implementing it myself but even though I can force the target to make a saving throw, it doesn't set the effect on the target on a failed save.

We can't find an example of an implementation of Turn Undead anywhere online which seems odd.

There's a screenshot attached. What are we doing wrong?

EDIT: D&D 5E
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hyperventilator; September 22nd, 2020 at 19:53.

Blog Entries
    MOD: moved to 5E forums

See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Cleric-Package

In short, take the Channel Divinity feature and drag it to the to the Actions on the Actions Tab. Rename it to Turn Undead and put it in a group called Channel Divinity and set the group to have 2 uses per long rest.

I'm sure one of the many character creation videos also shows this, but no idea which one, sorry

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    MOD: moved to 5E forums

See https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Cleric-Package

In short, take the Channel Divinity feature and drag it to the to the Actions on the Actions Tab. Rename it to Turn Undead and put it in a group called Channel Divinity and set the group to have 2 uses per long rest.

I'm sure one of the many character creation videos also shows this, but no idea which one, sorry
    Sorry, I don't understand. Where do I drag it *from*? Because if you mean the Class Description, it just makes the same thing that I already made, and it doesn't work either. Maybe this is a Unity-related bug? IDK. Can someone try this on their own copy?

There's also a xml file in that thread. How do you use it / open it? What is it for?
    Last edited by Hyperventilator; September 22nd, 2020 at 21:00.

Download the xml file from the thread that LE linked and then start a campaign, click on the PC button and then on the blue import character button and then on the blue import character file button and navigate to where you saved the xml. Select it and then click select and it will load the character into your campaign. Click the character and go to the actions tab to see how all of the effects for the Cleric have been set up.

Some of the videos linked here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...112#post492112 will also help, particularly video eight and three. Video eight in this series should also help https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reation-Videos
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Download the xml file from the thread that LE linked and then start a campaign, click on the PC button and then on the blue import character button and then on the blue import character file button and navigate to where you saved the xml. Select it and then click select and it will load the character into your campaign. Click the character and go to the actions tab to see how all of the effects for the Cleric have been set up.

Some of the videos linked here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...112#post492112 will also help, particularly video eight and three. Video eight in this series should also help https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...reation-Videos
    OK, I did just that. But the example cleric's Turn Undead doesn't work properly, either. It does force the saving throw but it doesn't set the Turned condition automatically according to the result of that roll. And if I press the effect button, it sets the Turned condition to the target regardless of if it succeeded in the save or not.

We had 12 zombies in Sunday's game. The cleric targeted 9 of them. He got the zombies to roll but I had to manually check the results and manually set the Turned condition on them accordingly. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Go into options and make sure that you have remove targets on miss set to multi. Then select all of the targets and make the saving throw and then click on the turned effect. It will place the turned effect only on the targets that failed their save. The turned condition (or any other condition or effect that happens on a failed save) is not automatically placed on the target - you need to click the button to do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; September 22nd, 2020 at 21:36.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Go into options and make sure that you have remove targets on miss set to multi. Then select all of the targets and make the saving throw and then click on the turned effect. It will place the turned effect only on the targets that failed their save. The turned condition (or any other condition or effect that happens on a failed save) is not automatically placed on the target - you need to click the button to do it.
    Oh. Ooooohhh! Is this common knowlege? One would assume that the result of a saving throw has a mechanical effect in the automation. We've spent hours trying to figure this out. Anyway, thank you for the clarity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperventilator View Post
    Is this common knowlege?
    I had the knowledge, but I'm uncommon! Just ask my mother

In general FG does not automatically apply damage or effects after an attack or save roll. This is because all to often their are exceptions, or someone forgot something or it would make house rules harder to implement.

So, just like you have to roll damage when an attack hits, you have to apply effects after the save fails. The option Mr Z mentions helps make this easy inthe majority of cases.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I had the knowledge, but I'm uncommon! Just ask my mother

In general FG does not automatically apply damage or effects after an attack or save roll. This is because all to often their are exceptions, or someone forgot something or it would make house rules harder to implement.

So, just like you have to roll damage when an attack hits, you have to apply effects after the save fails. The option Mr Z mentions helps make this easy inthe majority of cases.
    To me, the now obvious difference in damage and effect functionality regarding saves is that for damage FG takes the result of the saving throw into account. I feel like there should be a toggle to apply linked effect on a failed save in the same place where saving throw info is inserted - just like there's a toggle for half or full damage on a successful save.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperventilator View Post
    To me, the now obvious difference in damage and effect functionality regarding saves is that for damage FG takes the result of the saving throw into account. I feel like there should be a toggle to apply linked effect on a failed save in the same place where saving throw info is inserted - just like there's a toggle for half or full damage on a successful save.
    No, you do not want damage to be applied automatically after a failed saving throw - or anything else. There are many exceptions to the general in 5e and if you automated that then you cause more issues having to undo it. For example a creature with Legendary resistance could decide to pass the save on a failed save; various classes have abilities which allow them to take less damage on failed saving throws, various creatures have other abilities which can have an effect and I'm sure there are a number of spells that can also have an effect.

So, whilst in the very narrow circumstances you are looking at, it seems like a top notch idea - overall it isn't.

Thread Information