DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 9 First ... 34567 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    @ebverhulst
    The Luck feat is supported, I’ll look up the exact wording for the Effect. We play tested it for a while and found it to be too intrusive so I never formally supported it. The DM essentially had to announce every result. Bogged down the game.

“Cutting Words” is another great example. It too bogs down the game. A great many rolls are trapped and the results not announced because of it. What we’ve ended up doing is turning it off for many rolls, and the bard at the table turns it on during critical situations.

All that said yes I could support your suggestion. We’ll need to discuss each case you want supported. Sometimes it might be not be possible. The issue is triggers. What situation triggers the interruption of the announcement? I have to know that to effectively program your request.

Please read the complete contents of this thread, every post. I know there have been at least two examples of other users making requests a bit like yours. I know one was not possible to effect. I can’t remember the issue with the other(s).

Also please look at the choices available in the Options Manager. Play with a few of them. Specifically the one having to do with showing DM rolls and results. I realize these affect NPC rolls but they may give you a flavor of how it changes the flow of the game. And whether or not you care to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    @ebverhulst
    The Luck feat is supported, I’ll look up the exact wording for the Effect. We play tested it for a while and found it to be too intrusive so I never formally supported it. The DM essentially had to announce every result. Bogged down the game.

“Cutting Words” is another great example. It too bogs down the game. A great many rolls are trapped and the results not announced because of it. What we’ve ended up doing is turning it off for many rolls, and the bard at the table turns it on during critical situations.

All that said yes I could support your suggestion. We’ll need to discuss each case you want supported. Sometimes it might be not be possible. The issue is triggers. What situation triggers the interruption of the announcement? I have to know that to effectively program your request.

Please read the complete contents of this thread, every post. I know there have been at least two examples of other users making requests a bit like yours. I know one was not possible to effect. I can’t remember the issue with the other(s).

Also please look at the choices available in the Options Manager. Play with a few of them. Specifically the one having to do with showing DM rolls and results. I realize these affect NPC rolls but they may give you a flavor of how it changes the flow of the game. And whether or not you care to proceed.
    I did read through the thread - helpful. And I think I'm pretty clear on what this extension allows. What I had in mind was a broad-based approach rather than specific situations, by adding an option in the Options Manager. Right now, the options manager provides 3 choices for "show results to client" - on, off, and friendly. Could a 4th option be added - call it "roll only" - in which the friendly d20 roll would be shown in the chat, but not success or failure, for any d20 roll made by a player. Yes, the DM would have to say "you hit" or "you saved" etc., but in the games I play, we've always had a voice channel going and half the time people aren't paying close attention to the chat in FGU anyway. That's rather a different approach, I think, then this extension, but I'm not much for programming - haven't done much of it since taking advanced basic in high school a little over 40 years ago.

Anyway, thanks for the response and the extension. And thanks in advance for whatever other bennies you throw our way. :-)

Blog Entries
    @ebverhulst
    Another thread that I saw reminded me that I needed to address the Lucky Feat.

The exact verbiage of the effect is “Lucky Feat”. It is enacted exactly like the other three specialized effects mentioned earlier in this thread.

Blog Entries
    The thread mentioned in the prior post (plus a few PMs with its author) has inspired me to review some of the functionality of this extension.
    1) ebverhulst’s request to intercept the announcement of results for every roll
    2) I think this extension does a pretty good job at handling saves, but I recall there being some coding issues that I might want to address that would make it better
    3) possibly support the “portent” spell

Some of these non “Bardic Inspiration” items (Lucky Feat, Portent spell) make me wonder if the extension needs to be renamed.

I’m not promising anything, just that I’ll look into these issues. Right now I have other issues I’m addressing in my other extensions, so it will be a while.

And much thanks to those who use this extension and others extensions that I author.

Minty23185Fresh Can you reach out to McCartysr. To have your bardic inspiration integrate with Requested Rolls ?

Quote Originally Posted by mccartysr View Post
    I don't know. I can't find a copy of their code, and their extension installs to the vault, so I can't look for where things could be hashed out. Sorry, I couldn't be more help.

Quote Originally Posted by EllivasKram View Post
    Minty23185Fresh Can you reach out to McCartysr. To have your bardic inspiration integrate with Requested Rolls ?
    Thank you for making the request. @Minty23185Fresh, a little background: I was asking the other developer if they could get the request for a save to work with your ext and they would be up for the task but need to see the code to determine what can be done. Anything you can do to assist is greatly appreciated.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Rolls/page35

Blog Entries
    mccartysr, author of Requested Rolls extension has asked that I make some changes to Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI) to handle collateral or incidental damage saves (when a PC casts, say, a fireball spell and one of the other party members, that has Bardic Inspiration, is caught in the area of effect of the spell).

When I first started developing BIDI I remember thinking about the collateral damage issue, and specifically decided not to support it. And here's why:

The Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor extension does a relatively horrible job at handling area of effect spells.

The problem is, BIDI gives away too much information to the players for area of effect spells.

Here is a screen shot to illustrate the point. Depicted in the screen shot is the Chat Window and the Combat Tracker in one of the player instances' of Fantasy Grounds. What's happened is the Mage NPC has cast a fireball spell at the four party members.
    Untitled.png
    Ilikan has Bardic Inspiration and BIDI, properly traps the announcement of the outcome of Ilikan's saving throw. But look at how much other information is reported. A quick look informs the player that they needn't expend the Inspiration Die. Moon Elf rolled a 14 and successfully saved. Ilikan's 18 is obviously successful.

I've known about this issue since the extension's inception two years ago. This is the first time its come up and the issue that mccartysr reported was not really the poor handling of area of effect spell saves itself but that incidental damage scenarios weren't being handled. I.e, an area of effect spell cast by a fellow PC was not handled properly, the same as an area of effect spell cast by a NPC.

So, why not fix the overriding issue? Well it doesn't really seem to be an issue: the extension has been out there for almost two years and no one has complained. Additionally, to remedy the problem, outcome interception would have to occur much further upstream in the code execution. BIDI is simple, and doesn't mess with the ruleset's code very much. Placing the interception point so much earlier in the execution stream may cause me more headaches than I'm willing to deal with.

so, what about mccartysr's request. Yep, I'll fix it.

[EDIT] Released a fix on May 15, 2022. Simple changes. Not thoroughly play tested.
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; May 15th, 2022 at 22:40.

mccartysr, author of Requested Rolls extension has asked that I make some changes to Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI) to handle collateral or incidental damage saves (when a PC casts, say, a fireball spell and one of the other party members, that has Bardic Inspiration, is caught in the area of effect of the spell).

When I first started developing BIDI I remember thinking about the collateral damage issue, and specifically decided not to support it. And here's why:

The Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor extension does a relatively horrible job at handling area of effect spells.

The problem is, BIDI gives away too much information to the players for area of effect spells.

Here is a screen shot to illustrate the point. Depicted in the screen shot is the Chat Window and the Combat Tracker in one of the player instances' of Fantasy Grounds. What's happened is the Mage NPC has cast a fireball spell at the four party members.
    Untitled.png
    Ilikan has Bardic Inspiration and BIDI, properly traps the announcement of the outcome of Ilikan's saving throw. But look at how much other information is reported. A quick look informs the player that they needn't expend the Inspiration Die. Moon Elf rolled a 14 and successfully saved. Ilikan's 18 is obviously successful.

I've known about this issue since the extension's inception two years ago. This is the first time its come up and the issue that mccartysr reported was not really the poor handling of area of effect spell saves itself but that incidental damage scenarios weren't being handled. I.e, an area of effect spell cast by a fellow PC was not handled properly, the same as an area of effect spell cast by a NPC.

So, why not fix the overriding issue? Well it doesn't really seem to be an issue: the extension has been out there for almost two years and no one has complained. Additionally, to remedy the problem, outcome interception would have to occur much further upstream in the code execution. BIDI is simple, and doesn't mess with the ruleset's code very much. Placing the interception point so much earlier in the execution stream may cause me more headaches than I'm willing to deal with.

so, what about mccartysr's request. Yep, I'll fix it. It will be a while. I have too many personal issues on my plate for the next month or so.
    Thank you for taking a look and explaining your reasoning. I hope all works out for you as well.

exactly how does one who is Brand new to the platform download this extension?
    lol

See the first post for the link to the Forge ( the SmiteWorks digital market place). Click the Subscribe button on the page. Launch Fantasy Grounds. Click the Check for Updates button. After the update is done load or create a campaign and on the right hand side there is window to load extensions. Be sure you select the extension you want to load to the campaign, and then launch the campaign. After you select the extensions you want loaded you won’t have to select them again, unless you want to remove the extensions.

Thread Information