5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 9 First 12345 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Announcing a new version (v0.0.6) of the Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI).
    The new version of Fantasy Grounds caused BIDI to fail.
    A patch to remedy this issue has been posted in post #1 of this thread.
    The new version of BIDI was tested with both FG Classic and FG Unity.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Quote Originally Posted by Minty23185Fresh View Post
    Announcing a new version (v0.0.6) of the Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor (BIDI).
    The new version of Fantasy Grounds caused BIDI to fail.
    A patch to remedy this issue has been posted in post #1 of this thread.
    The new version of BIDI was tested with both FG Classic and FG Unity.
    hello,

I am just testing your extension and I am getting this player output. it still has the Hit Indicator, am I doing something wrong?
    thnks

testuser.png

Nevermind. I started a fresh campaign and it works ok. there must be some extension conflicting.

thnks!

Quick question... looking at the screenshots with the two outputs in the chat (blue and red), correct me if I'm wrong but if a PC decides to use bardic inspiration this allows them to roll maybe a d6 or d8 or d10 or d12 (depends on the Bard's level) and add that to the original roll. Bardic inspiration is not like regular inspiration where it allows for a re-roll. Is that correct? And if so, what is your extension supporting in the chat outputs - inspiration or bardic inspiration?

Also are you planning on expanding this extension to include the new magical inspiration optional bard class feature from Tasha's?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shireling View Post
    Quick question... Is that correct?
    Correct.
    ... what is your extension supporting in the chat outputs - inspiration or bardic inspiration?
    Is this a trick question? Or humor? Why else would I name the extension Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor?
    Are you planning on expanding this extension to include the new magical inspiration optional bard class feature from Tasha's?
    No. It seems to me as though there is nothing to support. The extension explicitly prevents the disclosure of FG's adjudication of certain rolls. The healing or damage augmented by Magical Inspiration in Tasha's are not rolls adjudicated by FG.

Is this a trick question? Or humor? Why else would I name the extension Bardic Inspiration Die Implementor?
    Serious question because after implementing and reviewing the images you posted there are two rolls and the “red” one shows no indication of a second die being rolled (d6, d8, d10, d12) but it does show a different value for a d20 roll which doesn’t make any sense.

No. It seems to me as though there is nothing to support. The extension explicitly prevents the disclosure of FG's adjudication of certain rolls. The healing or damage augmented by Magical Inspiration in Tasha's are not rolls adjudicated by FG.
    You created code for combat inspiration. I was asking to see if you were going to use similar code to automate this damage and healing as well. I thought it was a fair question.

Blog Entries
    Serious question because after implementing and reviewing the images you posted there are two rolls and the “red” one shows no indication of a second die being rolled (d6, d8, d10, d12) but it does show a different value for a d20 roll which doesn’t make any sense.
    Ah. I get it now. Sorry for the slow uptake.
    It appears to me as though you’re expecting the extension to do more than it actually does.

I’ll restate what the extension does: It only intercepts and prevents the display of the outcome of certain rolls in the players’ chat windows. Those rolls are typically attacks and saves, because Fantasy Grounds calculates and displays the outcomes for those dice rolls. (Attacks: hit or miss, Saves: success or failure.)

That said, the extension does not roll inspiration dice for the player!

The long-winded explanation using an example:
    Without the extension: The player has a Bardic Inspiration Die available to them.The player makes an attack roll. FG calculates and displays whether or not the attack roll was successful. Because FG told the player whether or not they were successful, the player has more information available to them than the rules intended. FG essentially told the player whether or not they should use their Bardic Inspiration Die.

With the extension: Again the player has a Bardic Inspiration Die available, and makes an attack roll. FG calculates and displays the outcome to the DM only. The extension prevents the display of the result to the players. As the D&D rules intend, the player must now decide whether or not the attack die roll might be sufficiently high to be a successful hit. They must decide whether or not to expend their Bardic Inspiration Die. (The extension does not roll the inspiration die for the player.)
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; May 31st, 2021 at 18:21.

Blog Entries
    You created code for combat inspiration. I was asking to see if you were going to use similar code to automate this damage and healing as well. I thought it was a fair question.
    Again, I believe you’re assuming the extension does more than intended.

Combat Inspiration, from the PHB:
    “Also at 3rd level, you learn to inspire others in battle. A creature that has a Bardic Inspiration die from you can roll that die and add the number rolled to a weapon damage roll it just made. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the creature, it can use its reaction to roll the Bardic Inspiration die and add the number rolled to its AC against that attack, after seeing the roll but before knowing whether it hits or misses.”

The extension only comes into play for the “Alternatively” part of Combat Inspiration. And this is because, FG adjudicates, the hit or miss of the attack roll. The extension intercepts and prevents the display of such outcomes to the players.

The extension does not roll Bardic Inspiration Dice for the players!!!
    Last edited by Minty23185Fresh; May 31st, 2021 at 18:24.

Q: I saw you mention luck on the previous page, I would like to use your extension for the Lucky ability, would it work?
    Lucky:
    You have 3 luck points. Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.
    You can also spend one luck point when an attack roll is made against you. Roll a d20, and then choose whether the attack uses the attacker's roll or yours. If more than one creature spends a luck point to influence the outcome of a roll, the points cancel each other out; no additional dice are rolled.

Hello Minty, I like to add descriptions on my Inspiration Effect. Any chance you can soften it so that notes written after a ; won't interfere?

I currently write `Bardic Inspiration; +d6 to a Chk, Sav, or Atk` for example which breaks the extension by not being an exact match.

Thread Information