STAR TREK 2d20
Page 32 of 48 First ... 22303132333442 ... Last
    First of all, I'd like to apoligize if this question has already been aswered. I didn't read through all 300 posts on this thread.

It seems that if I try to export parcels made by this extension, they are exported as conventional parcels. It doesn't matter that I have the extension enabled in both the exported campaign and the new campaign that I create from the exported one. Am I missing something? Or am I going to have to create new parcels every time I start a new campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by JBeesing View Post
    First of all, I'd like to apoligize if this question has already been aswered. I didn't read through all 300 posts on this thread.

It seems that if I try to export parcels made by this extension, they are exported as conventional parcels. It doesn't matter that I have the extension enabled in both the exported campaign and the new campaign that I create from the exported one. Am I missing something? Or am I going to have to create new parcels every time I start a new campaign?
    I think it was discussed at some point previously in here, but basically the parcel sheet will only show map parcel data if its read/write in local DB. Designed that way to insure things can be changed in it. This means you pretty much have to make a copy of it if its coming out of a .mod file so that it has access to modify the data. That was simply a design choice early on.

And the way I modify my extensions on a continual basis - the only way you'll know what it does is to read all the version updates on page 1 (or in .txt file when I run out of room on page 1). And even then, to know the thoughts behind those changes you'd have to read through or keep up with my running commentary of changes in here.

No rule that you have to though. You can just use the parts you want after all - no crime in that.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

So, if I understand you correctly, if I'm making a .mod file by exporting a campaign, I should simply make conventional parcels. Then, when I create the new campaign from that .mod file, I will need to take those original parcels and copy them into new MP parcels, chose whether they are locked or not, assign them a token, assign them a pick lock and break lock DC, chose if they players will see the rolls or not, and place the token on the map.

Please forgive me, but that seems like an awful lot of work to do each time I create a campaign. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it so that a GM/DM could do all that work once, producing a .mod file that is ready for multiple campaigns?

Quote Originally Posted by JBeesing View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, if I'm making a .mod file by exporting a campaign, I should simply make conventional parcels. Then, when I create the new campaign from that .mod file, I will need to take those original parcels and copy them into new MP parcels, chose whether they are locked or not, assign them a token, assign them a pick lock and break lock DC, chose if they players will see the rolls or not, and place the token on the map.

Please forgive me, but that seems like an awful lot of work to do each time I create a campaign. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it so that a GM/DM could do all that work once, producing a .mod file that is ready for multiple campaigns?
    Like an NPC in a .mod file, to change it you must copy it first. And with map parcels, who are designed to be changed as their base capability - they have to be read/write accessible in local DB. If you have .mod version of them - like the NPC - you simply copy it. Then its fully ready to go with whatever you stored in module. There is no case where a map parcel will not be modifiable in its normal life cycle - it's designed to have things removed and added - deleted entirely - and to be DYNAMIC data. It cannot be that if not read/write changeable.

So, while I understand you want to package up non changing data as a map parcel - that is not what it is for. It's dynamic data accessible and manipulatable by the players. Or the host. It's its very nature and purpose to be dynamic data.

Read only data cannot be that. So it isn't. Work or not - nature of the beast. Best you will be able to do with a .mod is make a copy of the map parcel so it shows up in the sheet (meaning it recognizes it is now DYNAMIC data).

I will be using a .mod file to "transfer" all the [MP] LOOT <creaturename> items from one game to another. i just have to "drag each one to "uncatagoryized" (thus copying) .. and off i GO with a new game and my 100+ prebuilt MP's waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreM View Post
    I will be using a .mod file to "transfer" all the [MP] LOOT <creaturename> items from one game to another. i just have to "drag each one to "uncatagoryized" (thus copying) .. and off i GO with a new game and my 100+ prebuilt MP's waiting.
    I don't think that will work unless these are unique creatures. For instance, if you use the name (combat tracker) for an orc in my world it would be "[MP] LOOT Orc 12" and would not match any other Orc. Now if its a unique creature your fine with the CT name approach. Otherwise I'd go with type if its generic - like "[MP] LOOT humanoid (orc)" or whatever the NPC type in CT DB is defined as (just unlock the CT sheet and you should see it or it will be the string between size and the first comma in locked sheet).

Also, I like to make my own categories to put things in - uncategorized is a bit too generic a place where lots of other things might be.

And I like to use NPC inventory to drop loot with generic "[MP] LOOT" for simplicity. If I create a stock NPC I make sure it has whatever items or money it will drop. So much simpler than trying to get a specific loot template for everything. But I'm dead lazy.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; May 10th, 2021 at 05:11.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I don't think that will work unless these are unique creatures. For instance, if you use the name (combat tracker) for an orc in my world it would be "[MP] LOOT Orc 12" and would not match any other Orc. Now if its a unique creature your fine with the CT name approach. Otherwise I'd go with type if its generic - like "[MP] LOOT humanoid (orc)" or whatever the NPC type in CT DB is defined as (just unlock the CT sheet and you should see it or it will be the string between size and the first comma in locked sheet).

Also, I like to make my own categories to put things in - uncategorized is a bit too generic a place where lots of other things might be.

And I like to use NPC inventory to drop loot with generic "[MP] LOOT" for simplicity. If I create a stock NPC I make sure it has whatever items or money it will drop. So much simpler than trying to get a specific loot template for everything. But I'm dead lazy.

hmm, strange.
    I have exactly this "[MP] LOOT Orc" and "[MP] Loot Goblin" .. etc etc...
    i also have the CT set to use Random numbering.
    Every orc that dies, makes a properly filled loot bag token.
    Every goblin that dies, makes a properly filled loot bag token.

Ogre, Flesh Golmn, etc. etc..

hmm, Perhaps it is interacting with "NPC Random Treasure Generator" ?
    or perhaps this Setting comes from : "Map Parcels Use Specific NPC type:" i have set to OFF.

or.... i may have not tested this well enough. sigh.
    if there is ONE gobline. sure, it works - because no number is used
    .sigh.

back to the drawing board.

so.... would it even be Possible for you to have it 'ignore' the numbers at the end of a CT name? .. perahps as a Settings option...
    Last edited by FyreM; May 10th, 2021 at 06:05.

.sigh.

so.... would it even be Possible for you to have it 'ignore' the numbers at the end of a CT name? .. perahps as a Settings option...
    I can only tell you what my extension does - I did make a recent code modification so that guy could override how that is done and code suggestions on how he should do it but have no idea what he actually did with it. So you are on your own there.

.sigh.

Note on editing replies - I won't get notified something has changed - just happened to reread my response and noticed the quote had changed.

But to answer you - no. This is a name match - don't care what the name is - its a unique name in the CT entry. As I told you if you want something generic for all orcs then use type option I mentioned earlier.

Thread Information