DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Touch attack for Fireball?

Doing some combat testing in FGU, and when I had a PC cast fireball on 2 selected targets, it rolled for touch attacks and reflex saves for both of them, "hitting" one and missing the other. When I rolled damage the target that had been missed took no damage. Why would fireball use a touch attack?

Fireball doesn't need an attack, the save is correct

however, the ranged touch attack is likely coded for the times when you need to launch a fireball through an arrow slit or play minigolf in a halfling's hovel

If you attempt to send the bead through a narrow passage, such as through an arrow slit, you must “hit” the opening with a ranged touch attack, or else the bead strikes the barrier and detonates prematurely.
    in short, never use the CAST button read the spell first then implement revalvent functions in order, and tick off the spell
    Last edited by Zygmunt Molotch; September 21st, 2020 at 07:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Seems View Post
    Doing some combat testing in FGU, and when I had a PC cast fireball on 2 selected targets, it rolled for touch attacks and reflex saves for both of them, "hitting" one and missing the other. When I rolled damage the target that had been missed took no damage. Why would fireball use a touch attack?
    EDIT: misunderstood your question. Zygmunt has the answer here, don't trust the parser but rather build off its assumptions. (or better yet use the module Kelrugem linked).
    Last edited by bmos; September 21st, 2020 at 14:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygmunt Molotch View Post
    in short, never use the CAST button read the spell first then implement revalvent functions in order, and tick off the spell
    Yes, the spell parser sees that text and therefore codes the attack You can also edit spells by clicking on the magnifying glass on the very right of the cast button

The spell parser is in general not the best, due to the PF1/3.5e has not really a common way to define spells. I would recommend to use this module instead: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...FRPG-Spellbook

About the missing damage: There is also an option in the setting about whether or not and when targets should be removed (but in general you probably want that a target is removed when missed as in this situation)

The ranged touch attack has been added to the fireball entry when added to the character sheet because the PFRPG ruleset attempts to parse actions from the description of the spell. As the description for fireball includes "ranged touch attack" this is added to the spell action. You can either just use the save action in future, or change the attack in the action entry to be "None" and use the cast button - which will just trigger a save as there is no longer an attack entry for the spell.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Ahhhhhh! Thanks for the quick responses - really impressed by how much time you all spend responding to queries. Sorry if my questions seem obtuse - still trying to get the hang of all this. While it's not necessarily the easiest to figure out, the depth is outstanding!
    Last edited by Seems; September 21st, 2020 at 16:27.

Thread Information