DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Synch Client View: what am I doing wrong?

I might just be misunderstanding what it's actually supposed to do. What I'm looking for is a method to center the map of clients connected to me (as the host) to whatever my map was centered on. However, when I choose this option from the context-sensitive menu by right-clicking on an image and (in FGC) go to "Sharing -> Sync Client View" or (in FGU) "View -> Synch Client View", nothing at all seems to happen client-side on the laptop I have set up next to me with the image in question opened. It just stays as is.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this bugged? Or does it do something else entirely and I'm mistaking it for what I need? Hah. If the last, then is there an option to center a client's image view based on my own as the host?

[EDIT] And before it gets asked, yes, I have tested this (only on FGU) without any mods/themes loaded. (I have not tested in FGC with no mods loaded.)
    Last edited by Sarteck; September 20th, 2020 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarteck View Post
    I might just be misunderstanding what it's actually supposed to do. What I'm looking for is a method to center the map of clients connected to me (as the host) to whatever my map was centered on. However, when I choose this option from the context-sensitive menu by right-clicking on an image and (in FGC) go to "Sharing -> Sync Client View" or (in FGU) "View -> Synch Client View", nothing at all seems to happen client-side on the laptop I have set up next to me with the image in question opened. It just stays as is.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this bugged? Or does it do something else entirely and I'm mistaking it for what I need? Hah. If the last, then is there an option to center a client's image view based on my own as the host?

[EDIT] And before it gets asked, yes, I have tested this (only on FGU) without any mods/themes loaded. (I have not tested in FGC with no mods loaded.)
    I believe that this got deprecated as lock client view. So, the button might be legacy code from FGC

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    I believe that this got deprecated as lock client view. So, the button might be legacy code from FGC
    So... is there a way to center a client's view on a point using the host (GM) side?

So... is there a way to center a client's view on a point using the host (GM) side?
    as fas as I know, no, draw a pointer etc. to make them aware of some specific location when you have difficulties to describe them the location of something specific

There is a View sub-menu on the right side of the right-click context menu for images that contains a Synch Client View option. Have you tried that one?

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    There is a View sub-menu on the right side of the right-click context menu for images that contains a Synch Client View option. Have you tried that one?

Regards,
    JPG
    That is what Sarteck tried; but as a follow-up, I just tried it, too, and I was wrong, it seems to work correctly at the client side (at least with localhost, one may need to test that with other "real" clients ).

Sarteck, are you really sure that it does not work? Maybe zoom in a lot and test again, may be easier to see then (may be relative to resolutions etc )

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post

Regards,
    JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    That is what Sarteck tried; but as a follow-up, I just tried it, too, and I was wrong, it seems to work correctly at the client side (at least with localhost, one may need to test that with other "real" clients ).

Sarteck, are you really sure that it does not work? Maybe zoom in a lot and test again, may be easier to see then (may be relative to resolutions etc )
    Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, this is exactly what I tried. I just tested again, and it seems to work only on the localhost client, not on remote clients.
    [EDIT] Also, as mentioned in the original post, I tried this both on FGC and on FGU. (The difference being that on FGC, it's under "sharing" instead of under "View.")
    Last edited by Sarteck; September 21st, 2020 at 18:43.

Interesting... I was wrong.

Well, half wrong.

It seems that, when the Client Side view is "Maximized," the behavior I described occures. But when it is NOT maximized, it works as intended.

[EDIT] I feel stupid, called it a Brass Dragon, it's a Bronze, but yeah. :P

Interesting... I was wrong.

Well, half wrong.

It seems that, when the Client Side view is "Maximized," the behavior I described occures. But when it is NOT maximized, it works as intended.

[EDIT] I feel stupid, called it a Brass Dragon, it's a Bronze, but yeah. :P
    Hm, now that you say this; I think, that this is also a problem in FGC, there was some technical reason for this, but I do not remember it. It may be a known issue (and that is probably the reason why I also thought that it doesn't work because I also always have it in the background )

FG can't center a map that is already centered is why it works that way. The center the map to this location only works if the map can actually center on that location. It can't if it is already full screen - putting it another way you have to be zoomed in so you can't see all of the map image.

Thread Information