DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Connection test works but players cant connect very frustrated

So i have GMd a monthly starfinder game for over a year no issues. took august off and came back in September, nothing changed with my setup and now my players cant connect even though my connection test succeeds right away.

1.) port forwarding is set correctly
    2.) Internal ip : 192.168.1.19 external:98.215.62.152 -> FG has them correct
    3.) Windows firewall is disabled
    4.) Network set to private
    5.) avast for AV and FW fantasy grounds is set to allow all traffic in and out
    6.) router is netgear Nighthawk R8000P firmware is up to date.
    7.) FG is up to date and everyone is on the same version
    8.) Tracert

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 4 ms 7 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 14 ms 12 ms 12 ms 96.120.25.129
    3 10 ms 11 ms 9 ms 96.110.161.37
    4 18 ms 18 ms 28 ms 162.151.184.157
    5 19 ms 16 ms 16 ms be-32231-cs03.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.40.57]
    6 16 ms 18 ms 15 ms be-2304-pe04.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [96.110.37.42]
    7 16 ms 17 ms 15 ms 96-87-9-122-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net [96.87.9.122]
    8 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms 108.170.230.150
    9 19 ms 22 ms 35 ms 216.239.42.113
    10 88 ms 85 ms 138 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

can you seeme.org output

Success: I can see your service on 98.215.62.152 on port (1802)
    Your ISP is not blocking port 1802

Your IP:
    Port to Check:

2 players are on local network 2 external, all getting the same cannot connect error
    Last edited by thecause80; September 20th, 2020 at 00:49.

Do you have a modem that you purchased or are you renting one from Comcast? See this post about how Comcast is "helping": https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post473290

Quote Originally Posted by devilspork View Post
    Do you have a modem that you purchased or are you renting one from Comcast? See this post about how Comcast is "helping": https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post473290
    its my own modem. i called to check and see if the "advanced security" was on my account and the rep said no.

Are your players connecting via an alias? Have they tried using your actual External IP address. The internal users should connect using your internal IP address.

Oh, and rebooting your router might not be a bad idea as well.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Local network connections to 192.168.1.19 would not need the port forwarding in order to work. Since they can’t connect, something on your local computer may be blocking the application. Check your local security and firewall.

Also, I assume all are using FGC and not mixing FGU and FGC.

For the local players use 192.168.1.19 to connect.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Local network connections to 192.168.1.19 would not need the port forwarding in order to work. Since they can’t connect, something on your local computer may be blocking the application. Check your local security and firewall.

Also, I assume all are using FGC and not mixing FGU and FGC.
    AV firewall and windows defender are turned off .. external players still cant connect.

Some steps to try:
    * Try starting a second instance of FGC on the same machine, and connecting to "localhost" as the server address.
    * Try connecting from another PC on the same local network using the Local IP address reported on the Host Campaign screen.
    * Try having a player from the Internet use the external IP address reported on the Host Campaign screen.

Doing things in this order will tell you where the connection is being blocked.
    * If it's being blocked on the same machine, then some security software is definitely blocking. (Windows Defender or something else) Also, make sure to check that your network is set to Private.
    * If it's being blocked on the local network, make sure to double check that the local IP you are using is the one reported on the Host Campaign screen, and check the items above.
    * If it's being blocked from the Internet, then check port forwarding, check security on router, check to make sure using correct external IP, and check the items above.

If you are using the exact same machine you were using before that worked, then most likely something changed. Common items that happen:
    * Windows updates have turned your network from Private to Public, which affects the default security settings applied to programs connecting to the network.
    * Your machine IP address has changed, and the port forwarding rule on your router is no longer correct. (i.e. routing the game traffic to the wrong internal IP)
    * Your router has gotten into a mixed up state, and a reboot can sometimes clear it.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by thecause80 View Post
    AV firewall and windows defender are turned off .. external players still cant connect.
    Please confirm - can player on your network connect using the internal IP address?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information