Starfinder Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    As a customer of several rulesets and modules, it seems to me that there needs to be a better support mechanism for developers of licensed products. Like a ruleset guru that the various developers can go to for specific advise on basic stuff like implementing drag and drop or building the coding side of effects. This thread has been here for a couple of weeks, had to be bumped three times by the dev, and the final answer was basically your on your own, good luck.
    Its one of the pitfalls of coding. You don't have enough experienced people to donate free time to shepherd all the people trying to code extensions and such. You can give them the documents - examples - tools - but at some point (like me) you have to spend a large amount of time trial and error and leaning on your own. If people have the time - its great that they are willing to donate that extra time.

But your post request reads like you are saying that in addition to the very limited FGU development resources that do constantly interact with the community with good advice on a daily basis - plus work on all the stuff they have to work on with the product - that they should also stretch those resources to individual tutoring sessions in complex unique extensions of the code.

Maybe I misread what your saying - in which case sorry about that. But if I read it correctly - I strongly disagree. The FGU resources need to be on getting FGU live. First and foremost.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

I am not talking about random developers, I am specifically talking about developers of products that SmiteWorks is selling to its customers that (using this thread as an example) are trying to build basic expected functionality to a brand new licensed, store bought product.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    I am not talking about random developers, I am specifically talking about developers of products that SmiteWorks is selling to its customers that (using this thread as an example) are trying to build basic expected functionality to a brand new licensed, store bought product.
    Ok maybe this is my misunderstanding then and you can clear it up for me. Smiteworks has its own development shop with the core code and a set of rulesets they deliver with their licenses. Those are theirs I assume correct?

Anyone outside of that shop - who builds and delivers rulesets on their own - is pretty much like me and other extension developers - doing our own things with the resources, examples, and donated time and advice in the forums here.

So I and these people I assume are the random developers.

I suppose I'm having trouble understanding who the non random developers are who are not part of Smiteworks or directly affiliated with them. I assume in house devs and affiliates do not ask questions on the forums.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    Ok maybe this is my misunderstanding then and you can clear it up for me. Smiteworks has its own development shop with the core code and a set of rulesets they deliver with their licenses. Those are theirs I assume correct?

Anyone outside of that shop - who builds and delivers rulesets on their own - is pretty much like me and other extension developers - doing our own things with the resources, examples, and donated time and advice in the forums here.

So I and these people I assume are the random developers.

I suppose I'm having trouble understanding who the non random developers are who are not part of Smiteworks or directly affiliated with them. I assume in house devs and affiliates do not ask questions on the forums.
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store...=PEGFGSWRTTLPG

I'm not a random developer. I'm a community developer (with several products in the store that Smiteworks sells) looking to further enhance a product at the request of those who have purchased the licensed product. Regardless, while I'd love to see someone available to help us community devs, I'm not adverse to learning, so that's what I'm working on. What that does mean, however, is that the other 6 books in the Rifts line will likely be delayed, as free time is a finite thing. However, it's all good. I'll figure it out.

GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

Timezone: Eastern Standard Time (EST) United States; GMT -5 hours

In this case, I'm trying to provide advice to help GunbunnyFuFu with a ruleset that I am not familiar with, thus my advice is admittedly limited and general.

We provide best effort support for ruleset, extension and module coding as we have time between other projects. That time tends to vary quite a bit over time as primary projects take time and priority (such as FGU releases). This is why it took a while to answer the original question.

Plus, the original question was quite involved, and required knowledge not just of Savage Worlds ruleset but of the extension and data being added as well. It's one of the reasons why we point people to the forums, so that the community at large can assist in the process and so that anything we work through is available for all developers to use or review.

Basically, we have Dominic and myself working on trying to monitor the forums among all our other tasks. Also, we can only cover so much, because each ruleset is it's own unique scripting and UI environment. While I am very familiar with the systems that I helped write (CoreRPG, 5E, ...); there are even more systems that I have no idea how they were implemented (SavageWorlds, Conan, BoL, Vampire, ...). The amount of resources needed to have an expert on staff for every ruleset produced is outside the scope of what we can do with the size of our team, and the revenue generated by those systems.

Regards,
    JPG

@GunbunnyFuFu,

Regardless of the somewhat unrelated posts, did you try any of the suggestions I sent? Did they reveal anything?

I was hoping Ikael might be able chime in, since he is the developer on the Savage Worlds ruleset, but he has been busy. Maybe you could ping him on Discord as well?

Regards,
    JPG

JPG,

I appreciate your assistance, and understand the situation with the limited amount of resources SmiteWorks has. I have worked on learning basics of Lua. I have pinged him and am learning the basics at his suggestion.

GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)

@Moon Wizard,

I did try debug commands, but got nothing back in the console. I'm going to try some basic hello-world sort of functions and debug them to make sure I'm debugging correctly, and then proceed from there.

Again, thanks for your insight and your help!

GBFF

Make sure to move the Debug commands up in the code until you see them trigger (i.e. right at the top of ReceiveDrop, for example). If they're not triggering at all, then it might be a template or window merge issue.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information